Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAL 47 -- Pikeville 34 (All A State)
It was a very good game and Pikeville played really well until the last few minutes. Shawna Howard had five 3's and Sam had three. I think Emily had 4 points and Sam had 11. Megan Harris had two points. CAL ended up winning by 12 or 13 I think. Pikeville led most of the first half. I thought they were going to come out with the W. Pikeville must be better than what I thought or CAL must not be the #3 team in the state. GREAT JOB LADY PANTHERS AND COACH HALBERT! Good luck in the rest of the season and at tourney time!
I'm pretty sure the final score was CAL 47 Pikeville 34 .. CAL has some players who have been sick or injured as well so they probably didn't play as good as usual.
Thanks 15thRegionCrazy, I forgot to write down the score. Shawna Howard played a great game! Sam also did well...and so did Evin Shockey.
Congrats to CAL on the win.. sounds like Pikeville played a great game also..
Meredith Marsh (#23) for CAL had about 10 unanswered points in the 1st half to give them the lead. It started out being 5-0 Pikeville and then it was 7-11 Pikeville with Shawna Howard having 8 of those points I believe and Sam having the other three...then CAL hit a three to put the game 11-10 Pikeville. Maggie McKemie (#41) for CAL also had a good game.
Here were a couple of things that jumped out to me and every other Pikeville fan in attendence.

#1 CAL shot 27 free throws in this game compared to Pikeville's 2!!!!

#2 CAL was called for just 1 foul in the first 3 quarters of the ballgame!!!!

5censored: 5censored:

I admit that CAL is the better team and should win the ballgame, but there is absolutely no excuse for officiating like this. It doesn't matter what two teams are playing eachother, there is no way one team should shoot 27 free throws and the other team shoot just 2. And I have never played in a basketball game where a team commits just one foul in 3 quarters of play. Pikeville got shafted and everyone that watched the game knows it. Another thing is that the game was closer than the score indicates. Pikeville was down by only 4 points with 3 minutes left in the ballgame, but then CAL began to hold the ball like any other team would do, and of course they got to shoot more free throws. If the game would've been called fairly it would've gone down to the wire.

I would also like to compliment Megan Harris and Evin Shockey for their tremendous effort on the boards. They are both only about 5'9" or so and they were going up against girls listed at 6'2", 6'4" and 6'2" across CAL's front line. Shockey came up with 8 rebounds and Harris with 10, both very commendable efforts.

In closing, great effort by both teams, and it would've been great to see if the game had been called fairly.
"Farva" Wrote:Here were a couple of things that jumped out to me and every other Pikeville fan in attendence.

#1 CAL shot 27 free throws in this game compared to Pikeville's 2!!!!

#2 CAL was called for just 1 foul in the first 3 quarters of the ballgame!!!!

5censored: 5censored:

I admit that CAL is the better team and should win the ballgame, but there is absolutely no excuse for officiating like this. It doesn't matter what two teams are playing eachother, there is no way one team should shoot 27 free throws and the other team shoot just 2. And I have never played in a basketball game where a team commits just one foul in 3 quarters of play. Pikeville got shafted and everyone that watched the game knows it. Another thing is that the game was closer than the score indicates. Pikeville was down by only 4 points with 3 minutes left in the ballgame, but then CAL began to hold the ball like any other team would do, and of course they got to shoot more free throws. If the game would've been called fairly it would've gone down to the wire.

I would also like to compliment Megan Harris and Evin Shockey for their tremendous effort on the boards. They are both only about 5'9" or so and they were going up against girls listed at 6'2", 6'4" and 6'2" across CAL's front line. Shockey came up with 8 rebounds and Harris with 10, both very commendable efforts.

In closing, great effort by both teams, and it would've been great to see if the game had been called fairly.

Do you feel this game would been different had CAL's players not been sick?
s
Great game to watch
Pikeville's fans were there to support Mrs. Halbert and her team
THe Panthers held the early lead but after the second half CAL came out firing and took a 13 pt lead to win the game
Great Effort from teh Panthers!
The lady Panthers looked REALLY good in this game...esp in the first half...They were shooting from behind the three line like they knew that they had to if they wanted to have a chance to stay in the game......

The refs...I don't really know what was up with them...did they cost Pikeville the game?? I really don't know but I didn't like the way that they were letting the game go.....They were allowing the players to be all over each other the whole game....Fouls that I thought should have been easy calls against both CAL and PHS....But then the thing that really got to me was in the final 3 minutes of the game, they started calling touch fouls out of nowhere....I mean some of these were called that even an offical that goes almost directly from the book would call....got me??? I thought that the were poor both ways...but as it was said earlier...when a team has more fouls called on them in a quarter than the other team does the whole game then it kinda makes me wonder?!?!

But it was a good game to watch and I was proud of the turnout to support the Lady Panthers!!! Everyone was cheering loud and trying to help the team to the victory but they just fell up short in a hard fought game....

CONGRATS CAL!!! -- although suprised me that CAL wan't out of school today!! So all their students there skipped...lol
The refs did make some qquestionable calls them game adn then they missed some calls..but it happens
and beleive me they heard it from teh Pikeville fans
good luck CAL the rest of the way
I thought the Panthers played very well.
Breaks went against them.

I also thought that it was nice seeing the South Floyd Team and fans supporting the Panthers, it appears the anger has subsided between the two teams.
Sounds like Pikeville gave a heck of an effort. It sucks to see them lose like that. But congrats to CAL.
Congrats CAL!!!
Wow, 27 trips to the line vs. 2 seems a little odd. Usually officials will "let you play" so to speak in state tournaments, but it does appear a little lop-sided. Then again, a good time sticks to fundamentals and lays off the fouls. Maybe experience was the difference..plus Pville had to foul a lot towards the end of the game. Who knows! Good Luck CAL. I'm pulling for Whitesburg now! They had the final stolen from them last year, so let's go lady jackets!
"Basketballer" Wrote:Do you feel this game would been different had CAL's players not been sick?
s
Probably, yes. But it doesn't change the fact that the Panthers played really hard, and really wanted to win the game. Their desire to win is what kept the game so close.
Pikeville deserves more credit than they have recieved. they held the #4 ranked team in the state to 5 pts with less than 3 minutes left in the game. the twins and shockey played great, and of course we dont want to leave out emily. i hate to say that the refs costs us the game....but it is so very true...
Good game Panthers!
I thought Evin Shockey played extremely well in the post today. She stepped up big!

Good Luck to CAL the rest of the way...

wouldnt it be nice for Pikeville to say they played so well with the state champs? (ALL A of course)

Yes, SF was there in support and from what I heard from the team-- the girls will be up bright and early for SF's game in the morning!
"eddie wayne" Wrote:Good game Panthers!
I thought Evin Shockey played extremely well in the post today. She stepped up big!

wouldnt it be nice for Pikeville to say they played so well with the state champs? (ALL A of course)

Yes, SF was there in support and from what I heard from the team-- the girls will be up bright and early for SF's game in the morning!

Thats great that SF attended the game, Im glad to know that P-ville is going to watch them play in the morning too...Good to see the 15ht supporting each other
"Basketballer" Wrote:
"eddie wayne" Wrote:Good game Panthers!

Thats great that SF attended the game, Im glad to know that P-ville is going to watch them play in the morning too...Good to see the 15ht supporting each other
I like this too!!....If I didn't have school today I would probably be right there with them
Lady Panthers played there hearts out its just kinda hard when there is a monster of a girl getting the ball every time down the court. And I dont even want to talk about the refs.
Yep Pikeville was at the boys game today. GO SF!
The lady panthers played really well against CAL..and the game was alot closer than what the score says! It was a very exciting game and close to the end..but the officiating was really bad! but I'm proud of the girls..they earned some respect down there..and now they know they can play with ANYONE in the sate! Big Grin good job girls! --- congrats CAL
we had no post game what so ever if we had a post game against CAL we win the game by 5 or 10 but we didnt we were probaly better off putting 5 gaurds in the game and letin the 3's fly
"Coach Mac" Wrote:we had no post game what so ever if we had a post game against CAL we win the game by 5 or 10 but we didnt we were probaly better off putting 5 gaurds in the game and letin the 3's fly

No they should not have put in 5 guards! Pikeville CAN have the post game if they ever get the ball into the post... to the POST players! I know if you shoot so many they'll eventually fall, but the girls should have realized they weren't makin the outside shots and tried to move the ball in and out and get the best shot. The guards couldnt drive it in like they do within the region, they got it taken away and they should have looked to pass. I think Evin played an awesome game. But anyways... its over now.. no need to dwell on what they did and what they should/could have done. Only saw the 2nd half, but from what i hear... Good 1st Half Panthers!
and CAL did win it all didnt they?