Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairview player scores team's first 40 points
George Bellamy has been coaching high school basketball for more than three decades and thought he had seen just about everything that could happen in hoops.

Then came Kayla Day's performance for Bellamy's Fairview girls against Prestonsburg on Monday night. Day, a senior averaging 26 points a game, had 49 in the Lady Eagles' 67-55 victory.

So what?

So this: Fairview led 29-26 at halftime, and Day had all of her team's points. Then she got the Lady Eagles' first 11 points of the second half. That added up to 40 points for Fairview on the scoreboard, and 40 points for Day in the scorebook.

Bellamy had no clue it was happening. When a reporter asked him after the game if he knew Day had all of the Lady Eagles' points in the first half, he said he had no idea. The reporter asked Bellamy if he thought anybody was aware of the stunning development. "Probably the other four girls who hadn't scored," Bellamy said with a laugh. Two of his assistant coaches knew, but didn't tell him.

Bellamy said Day is not a typical big scorer. "We've been in a begging process the last couple years trying to get her to shoot more. Monday night she started jacking up threes, and when you add those to her normal game, she's going to score a lot."

Day, who began her career at Rose Hill, has more than 2,000 points, including those 40 in Monday's remarkable run. "The good thing about it, she did it in a competitive game," Bellamy said. "I know I've never seen anything like it in my life, and I guarantee you I'll never see it again."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/02/09/20622...rylink=cpy