Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campbell County wrestlers focused on getting to state
While the Campbell County wrestling team might have enough depth to end Ryle’s streak of seven straight Sixth Region championships this weekend, its coach, Mike Bankemper, says doing so isn’t his main goal.

“Our goal is to take all 14 of our wrestlers to state,” said Bankemper. “If we win it, great, but I’d rather take all 14 to state and not win if I had to choose ... Don’t get me wrong, winning it means a lot and what it really means is if we win our region we’re a darn good team capable of having success at state.”

• Take our high school nicknames quiz
• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

The Sixth Region meet is Friday and Saturday at Boone County High School. Friday’s action begins at 6 p.m. with the round of 16 matches, followed at 7 p.m. by championship quarterfinals, then the first round of consolation matches at 8:15 p.m. The meet resumes Saturday at 10 a.m. with consolation matches, followed at 11 a.m. with the championship semifinals. The championship finals are scheduled for 3 p.m. The top four wrestlers in each of the 14 weight classes advance to the state meet Feb. 17-18 at the Kentucky Horse Park’s Alltech Arena in Lexington.

Twelve of Campbell County’s 14 wrestlers are seeded fourth or better, including three No. 1s and five No. 2s. Simon Kenton has 10 wrestlers seeded fourth or better, including three No. 1s and three No. 2s. Ryle has nine wrestlers seeded fourth or better, including four No. 1s.

Campbell County beat Ryle in the championship of the Northern Kentucky Athletic Conference Duals Meet Jan. 11.

“That gives us a good indication of where we’re strong and how we stack up and it’s a little confidence boost, too,” Bankemper said.

Campbell County has two returning region champions from last season in seniors Garth Yenter and Mason Franck. Yenter, who also won state last year at 103 pounds, is wrestling at 120 this season, where he is 58-0 and ranked No. 1 in the state in that weight by kentuckywrestling.com. Franck, who was state runner-up in the 285-pound class last year and is ranked No. 2 in the state by kentuckywrestling.com, is the No. 2 seed in the region behind Simon Kenton senior Colin Patrick. Bankemper says he has confidence in both.

“Garth has his head on straight and is very focused and I don’t worry about him,” said Bankemper. “Mason was a state finalist last year and he expects to be there again.”

The Camels received a boost when brothers Stephen and Austin Myers transferred from Grant County, where they both played football last fall.

Stephen, a junior, is the No. 2 seed in the 152-pound class. He wrestled last season for Reading and won the Ohio High School Athletic Association Division III state title at 125 pounds. Austin, who is a freshman, is the No. 1 seed at 220 pounds.

Also back for Campbell County are sophomore Shaun Fausz, the No. 2 seed at 126 pounds after finishing runner-up in the region and state at 119 last year, and junior Paul Hamilton, the No. 1 seed at 138 pounds after finishing runner-up in the region and third in the state last year at 130.

Ryle’s four No. 1 seeds: eighth-grader Logan Erdman at 106 pounds; junior Gus Adams, who won the region at 112 pounds last year, in the 113-pound class; senior T.J. Ruschell, who is seeking his fourth straight region title after winning state last year at 119 pounds, in the 126-pound class; and junior Corey Ahern at 132 pounds.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...302080188/
Good Luck to you guys Stardust. I wish our school took wrestling serious like yours does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
CP, Campbell County is known as a "Wrestling School". How many 6A schools are known as that. Mike Bankemper is a friend and colleague and what he has done in Wrestling makes him a HOFer. So I credit him for his dedication and desire.

What is a shame is that the school is "only" known as a Wrestling school. Until the last three years, the school had let Football and Basketball, the sports that schools SHOULD be known for, slide off the radar and did not provide the support that it should. Finally those sports are gaining traction and is getting back on track to sustained success.
If we could just get a coach who could motivate these kids. I am talking about the k-8 and get them out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Do you agree with his decision to allow the Myers brothers to come on the team and take the spot of 2 kids who have wrestled all year the week of region?

He may win a state title now. At the same time I think his loyalty to his kids takes a hit. 2 kids that wrestled hard for CC all year suddenly find out they dont even get a chance to compete at region. 2 kids who started the season wrestling for Grant Co now will be wrestling there first match in a CC uniform at the region tournament.
GrappleKing Wrote:Do you agree with his decision to allow the Myers brothers to come on the team and take the spot of 2 kids who have wrestled all year the week of region?

He may win a state title now. At the same time I think his loyalty to his kids takes a hit. 2 kids that wrestled hard for CC all year suddenly find out they dont even get a chance to compete at region. 2 kids who started the season wrestling for Grant Co now will be wrestling there first match in a CC uniform at the region tournament.

I'm not very close to the story and could not say that I know the full details. What I was told is that the team voted for a "wrestle off" and those kids in that weight division had a vote. I believe the vote took place without either brother being present.

The reason that I was told that the team had no issue with voting for the wrestleoff is because both brothers had practiced with the team since the beginning of January. My understanding is that they were both #1 in the weight divisions during practice.

Since I don't know the full story, I can't say that I agree/disagree, but I do know that Mike B is of unquestionable character. He is a class act.