Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Question
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:The point i was trying to make though was just like in your cae, if you would have had a high school coach that really cared and worked hard, he could of made some phone calls to help you even further.
Doing all the work yourself is bull and any coach that doesnt help his players who are realistically capable of playing college football get some notices isnt doing his job.
High School coaches every year must make a judgement call on this. As we all know not every kid is a DI prospect but most could walk on at an NAIA or DIII school or some where inbetween. So the High School coach has to realistically direct the kid to the right school or level. Also high school coaches need to be aware that if they kept going to various schools blowing smoke about a certain player or type of player the schools just tune them out. The kids also share some of this. They need to realise that if they do get the opportunity to play at the next level and leave after the first few weeks of arriving on campus that will reflect poorly on their high school
My 2 cents worth on this.... 1) Grades, Grades and Grades. 2) Focus on Camps at
Colleges of interest. 3) Combines are good if you have the money. Gives some extended
exposure. But not a necessity. 4) On varsity videos, only use 5 - 7 standout plays and
highlight your son with arrow or circle. 5) Hit the weights and work on speed. 6) Find out
which colleges the Coach works with (most staffs have respected conections) 7) Take
the ACT early (in Sophomore year) Use it to see where he is and he can work on the
weak areas. 8) setup NCAA eligibility Junior year 9) Late Sophomore or early Junior year
fill out College of interest recruiting questionaire on their website.

Grades and athletic ability will get him in NAIA and D3 schools. You can start making contacts with these after Sophomore year. D1 and D2 his Junior year. Don't get
discouraged!! All Schools will be working Seniors first. As they wind down with Seniors
they will start on the next class. So it could be late Junior year or early Senior year before
interests start popping up.
Yes - most anybody can "be on the team" at a NAIA or DIII school. But I promise you, being o the team and getting in the game are 2 different things. I played at Union in the 90's. we had plenty of those guys who were "on the team" but the guys who got the reps were exceptional players who where a inch short or a step slow to be somewhere else. Or in many cases, had all the physical skills but where non-qualifiers for NCAA D2 or D1.

Sure anybody who pay tuition can get a jersey. But if you don't have A game, that jersey will never get dirty.
Football1 Wrote:Yes - most anybody can "be on the team" at a NAIA or DIII school. But I promise you, being o the team and getting in the game are 2 different things.

and that's the same at all levels. high school, middle school, NFL, etc. But, at least they have a chance to show the coaches what they can do. if they don't have enough to get on the field during game day, then they become hitting dummies for a couple years, and there's no shame in that
Football1 Wrote:Yes - most anybody can "be on the team" at a NAIA or DIII school. But I promise you, being o the team and getting in the game are 2 different things. I played at Union in the 90's. we had plenty of those guys who were "on the team" but the guys who got the reps were exceptional players who where a inch short or a step slow to be somewhere else. Or in many cases, had all the physical skills but where non-qualifiers for NCAA D2 or D1.

Sure anybody who pay tuition can get a jersey. But if you don't have A game, that jersey will never get dirty.

The only group the I know of are the pee wee leagues that have rules that everyone getting to play at least a quarter. Do you think High Schools and colleges should have that type of rule also? Just because you're "on the team" doesn't mean you get to get "on the field". You have to earn that right. I played with a guy in college who rarely and I mean rarely saw the field in High School but he so badly wanted to play in college. He got the you know what kicked out of him for 4 years but he worked his rear off over that time and by his 5th year he not only saw the field he started a few games. Drive and determination gets you playing time not the jersey.
nky Wrote:The only group the I know of are the pee wee leagues that have rules that everyone getting to play at least a quarter. Do you think High Schools and colleges should have that type of rule also? Just because you're "on the team" doesn't mean you get to get "on the field". You have to earn that right. I played with a guy in college who rarely and I mean rarely saw the field in High School but he so badly wanted to play in college. He got the you know what kicked out of him for 4 years but he worked his rear off over that time and by his 5th year he not only saw the field he started a few games. Drive and determination gets you playing time not the jersey.
I'm afraid you missed my point. I was not contending for mandatory playing time in college - that is a goofy thought frankly. My point, maybe more clearly stated, is that while it may be easier to get on an NAIA team than a D2 or D1 team it is still quite a challenge to win playing time.
^ Shouldn't that be the case at all levels?