Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville 65 Magoffin County 63
awesome game, not so awesome outcome..
let's talk about the game, PAINTSVILLE woooooooooon!!!!!!!!!!! Magoffin loooooost!

Deal with it !!!!
"J. R. VanHoose" Wrote:Look at my post, Landon had 3, and I beleive Blake had 2 and Grimm had 1. Not sure I left my stuff in my car! We only had 10 for the game. Not bad, considering we only made 22 shots!!

Wow...Thanks. For all of us old folgies that follow the Tigers mostly via radio airwaves, these more detailed stats help us keep up. Keep up the good work.
"Super_de" Wrote:You know, about the officating and all. paintsville beat magoffin fair and square but my point is. Does anyone remember the call that Duff made when A magoffin player was on the other side of the court and called a carry on him, and could no possible way to see if it was a carry. Onther call is when Tyler hunley was guarding mayb pugh, he was 2 feet away from pugh and they called a push on him?
I didn't have the view for those , so I can't comment.
But do you remember the play where Webb was 8 feet from the play that Slone stole the ball from Hundley on the sideline, and from the sideline across the floor, Duff ran up and called Slone for a block?
What I am saying, is that they missed calls on both sides. MC played great and left it on the floor!!!
This was a great game. Magoffin really stepped up at the end of the season and seen that they can play ball. I think if they would have figured this out just a month or two earlier they could have done some great things in a regional tourny. I have gained alot of respect for Coach West who did a 180 with this team.. He is a great coach.

But this game could have went either way. Of course there was bad calls for each team and I think they both cancelled each other out so that doesn't matter. The last second shot that doesn't matter either because there is things Magoffin could have done differnt in the last minute to get a differnt outcome.

I loved watching these boys and Devin Rice is going to be one heck of a ball player. Wes Helton, I enjoyed watching you. You are a great athelete and you have made all Magoffin fans proud many of times. I can't wait to watch you guys next season.. It should be another good one.

I wouldn't mind watching this game again.

But I guess my congrats to Paintsville, also Congrats to J.D. on player of the game and scoring his 1,000 pt.
I got one other question about this tournament? Why did the 1 seed play before the 2 seed did and magoffin had to play back to back.
"Super_de" Wrote:I got one other question about this tournament? Why did the 1 seed play before the 2 seed did and magoffin had to play back to back.
I thought that was stupid myself!!! Fatigue factor might have come into play as well!
^^^ yes i dont understand that either, cause i mean paintsville was the number 1 seed, and wat if they woulda got beat, i think that woulda been stupid if u ask me, cause having the 1 seed out before the 2nd or 3rd, lol jus blows my mind
"shelf" Wrote:let's talk about the game, PAINTSVILLE woooooooooon!!!!!!!!!!! Magoffin loooooost!

Deal with it !!!!

Wow thats a mature post... how old are you buddy 12?
I have to say this was a great game and I could watch it over again and enjoy it just as much. I am very proud of Magoffin County. I just wish they would have started playing like they have the last 4 games a few months ago cause I think they would have made some noise in the 15th region. I have gained alot of respect for Coach West as he has done a 180 degree turn around with these boys from last season. I hope they all keep their head up and get ready for next year they should have a good season.

As for the game of course there was a "few" bad calls but I don't believe it affected the outcome because the bad calls went for both teams so the cancelled each other out. The last second shot that doesn't matter either, because there are things that Magoffin could have done differntly that change the outcome. I just wish they would have thought of it then. But they gave it their all and us Hornet fans couldn't be more proud.

Devin Rice heck of a ball game and is going to be a heck of a ball player. Wes Helton you are a great athlete and believe me you have had your hornet fans proud on many occasions. I also think Brandon Shepared stepped up tremendously his senior year. Good Job guys and we will miss you..

So Congrats to Paintsville. Good Luck against Central. Also Congrats to J.D. for player of the game and scoring his 1,000 pt!
"FrAnKeE" Wrote:i just want to say one thing, this immature stuff on here is the BS, i mean all of you guys need to accept this, yes there was alot of questionable calls, but i mean we cant do nothing about it, we are just waisting our breath, i mean the game went as it did, and another thing, magoffin missed 4 free throws, and if i can add right, i think that would of won the game, so complain all you want, its not gonna help anything
people from magoffin, lets not stinkin embarrass ourselves like this, our boys played a heck of a game, and gave paintsville a run for there money, so lets stop complaining and start giving our boys credit, and actually showing some respect for the other team

Nice post!:Thumbs: You and your Hornets showed a lot of class! I hate it for them, they played so hard! Don't let them get down!!
I was rooting with all my heart for Magoffin County to win this game. And they played well enough to win. Paintsville's players testified to that with their celebration after the game.

Immediately following the game I felt the Hornets had been screwed by the refs - particularly for not calling a double dribble, charge, or walk on that last shot. I thought all three of those things happened.

But after a day or so for the emotions to settle and having had time to think about it more, I don't think the referees determined the outcome of this game. The players and coached did. That's the way it's supposed to be.

I watched film from THE PERFECT ANGLE on the last shot. Having watched it over and over again, I can't say Slone walked for sure. With that many views and still no certainty, there's NO WAY a ref could have or should have called a walk on that play.

The double dribble and the charge may be a differenct story.

But that no-call did not win the game for Paintsville or lose it for Magoffin. You can even throw out the missed free throws because both teams missed some key free throws.

What I think made the difference was the same thing (on a smaller scale) that cost Magoffin some games in the regular season. In the last couple of minutes Magoffin had some empty offensive trips. Rather than patiently running the offense like they had the whole game, there was some quick shots that not only missed, but gave the ball back to Paintsville.

Had Magoffin simply executed their offense during crunch time like they had throughout the game, Paintsville would not have had an opportunity to win on a last second shot.

Now concerning the refs in general and Todd Duff in particular, I was mad as heck at them immediately following the game. But once I settled down I realized that was simply my emotions getting the better of me. Those refs DID NOT take the game away from anybody.

I certainly disagreed with several calls. But even with my blood boiling for a Magoffin County win, I had to admit - even while the game was going on - some of what I thought were bad calls went against Paintsville. The game WAS NOT called in favor of nor against either team.

As far as Todd Duff in particular, I think he tried his absolute best to call a fair and accurate game. I think that's true of all three officials. The biggest mistakes I saw Todd make were when he made calls out of his area on plays that occurred right in front of one of the other officials. He did that twice in this game. One call went against each team. But even those mistakes may have been made out of a desire to make the right call. They were still mistakes, but that doesn't mean he was intentionally showinig favor to either team.

Todd Duff is not a horrible official like many people claim. He is a good official. I don't think this was one of his best games. But I still think he's a good official. In fact, I think this game had three very good officials.

The best thing I can say about the officials is they were fair (not one-sided) and the players determined the outcome of the game. That's all anyone can ask for from the officials. Perfection is just not possible. Besides, if an official or a crew actually called a perfect game I don't think the fans would recognize it because they are simply too emotionally invested in favor of one of the teams.

Great game!

Magoffin County should be, and is, very proud of this Hornet team. They have rebuilt this program from the ash heap. This loss does not change that fact in the least. This team will be remembered fondly and with respect for many, many years.

God bless you guys.

And congratulations to Paintsville.
Games over and the Tigers won. My comments are about the Hornets. Rice was awesome on the offense and after watching Shepherd shut down Brandon May in our win over SC. holding Thompson to 3 pts while guarding him 6 mins in the win over LC and keeping Magoffin in the game by playing the best defense I have seen in the 15th region this yr on Slone he has to be the best defensive player in the region. Eric and Tyler gave it their all and so did Fletch. Thought Helton played well against LC but but was disapponinted in his play against the Tigers. Got in to the whinning mode with the refs and the flopping on ever foul when he should have dominated as in the previous 2 games with Paintsville. I believe if he had brought his A game ever nite we win 18 games. Most improved players were Nathan Arnett and Cameron Jayne. Look forward to next yr and congrats to Coach West for a good job. His team played as a team the last of the season. It will be hard for him to replace Helton but his hardest task will be to find someone to take Shepherds place. :ref2: :beerwez:
Congrats to The Tigers. Good Luck againist JC its gonna be jammin on Friday!