Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Kentucky trustees move toward dissolving Athletics Association board R
Oversight of athletics at the University of Kentucky would move from the UK Athletics Association to a committee of the UK Board of Trustees under a proposal approved Thursday by a special committee of trustees.
That proposal was unanimously approved by the committee, which was created by board Chairman Britt Brockman to study how the university oversees athletics.
He formed the committee shortly after former President Lee T. Todd gave Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart a contract extension and a raise without consulting the Board of Trustees or the UKAA Board.
Brockman said the contract extension had nothing to do with the pending changes and that he had discussed athletics oversight with Todd at least four months before Barnhart's pay raise. Barnhart is in total agreement with the proposed changes, Brockman said Thursday.
"Our desire is to be further committed to being a strong working part of the university community, and we are supportive of the structure being contemplated by the Board of Trustees," Barnhart said. "We are certainly appreciative of all the members of the athletics board who have been so supportive of the growth of our department academically, financially and competitively over the last nine years."
The Board of Trustees already has committees that look at nearly every other aspect of the university, including the hospital, investments and academics.
"Everyone assumed that the board (of trustees) has oversight," Brockman said after the vote. "Thank goodness we've had a decade of no NCAA violations, but we can't assume that in the future."
Frank Shoop, who serves on the Board of Trustees and the UKAA board, called the move a "really good idea."
"I think we need more trustees having a role in athletics; I think we need to expand trustee involvement," Shoop said.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/10/20/19287...z1bNNoaWna
interesting post
^ Wish I could say the same
I am too lazy to read it all. What is the good or bad of it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Athletics Association is a privately funded and managed organization. Board of Trustees would now be under the guise of the school. So, this puts management of the expenses through a school committee. My guess is that part of this is to ensure no wrong doings are taking place by giving the school more discretionary authority over funding.
Looks like they need some jobs for the old retired fks.