Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Kentucky Will Win The SEC
There's three days left until Midnight Madness kicks off all around the country, so it's safe to say that basketball season is officially here. I'm sure many of you have read at least one preview of what's to come this year. I'm also sure that many of you are chomping at the bit to see what could possibly be the best collection of talent under Calipari's reign take the court this Friday night for a sneak preview of what's to come.

If you are wondering how this group surpasses the John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Patrick Patterson, Eric Bledoe, and Daniel Orton group my answer to you is simple, more talented upperclassmen. Darius Miller comes back for his senior year as arguably one of the best defensive players in the country. Terrence Jones returns after a stellar freshman campaign and should be one of the leaders on this team. Likewise, fellow Sophmore Doron Lamb has had plenty of hype put on him this offseason, and if he ends up as half as good as people are saying he is, that is a serious weapon for the Cats. If that wasn't enough, center Eloy Vargas will provide depth in the middle and Stacey Poole is a solid wing player. Transfer Twanny Beckham is very talented as well and will provide a spark of the bench.

That's all without mentioning the talented Freshmen class. In comes Anthony Davis, arguably the best blend of size and skill to hit Lexington in the past five years. Joining him is the top point guard in Marquis Teague, a heady and athletic lead man that should keep the offense running smoothly. Mike Kidd-Gilcrist is a talented wing who's desire to win is matched by few, he will bring an intensity to this team as well as be another lockdown defender. Kyle Wiltjer was the lowest rated member of this class, as the #16 player in the country. The forward is more of a stretch four, which will give Davis or Vargas more room to operate in the paint, don't be fooled though, he is a complete player that can score on the block if need be. Bringing a kid like Witjer off the bench will be a luxary that Kentucky did not have last year.

When you look at the competition for the SEC crown, three teams come to mind. Florida has one of the best backcourts in the country, but Kentucky can counter that by throwing Davis and Jones on the floor, Patrick Young can't guard them both and Florida has a ton of question marks in their frontcourt. Vanderbilt probably matches up the best with the Wildcats. John Jenkins, Jeffery Taylor, and Festus Ezili all return will a solid cast of role playing vetrans and freshmen with them. Alabama is interesting because they have so much talent and are looking to make one last run into the tournament. It's hard to deny the impact Anthony Grant has had on that program but in the end I think Kentucky has too much depth for them.

What do you think? Will Kentucky win it all? Or Will one of the three teams above knock them off? Do you think a fourth team will be a serious contender to the SEC crown? Comment below.
No knock CK, but I can say it in a hell of a lot less words! Recruiting is why! If Cal can't win in the weak SEC Basketball conference, then fire him! The SEC is way down as a conference and UK is by far the cream of the crop! Nuff said!
Quote:No knock CK, but I can say it in a hell of a lot less words! Recruiting is why! If Cal can't win in the weak SEC Basketball conference, then fire him! The SEC is way down as a conference and UK is by far the cream of the crop! Nuff said!

I don't think the SEC is down that much really, but i do get what your saying.
This 2011-12 bunch is picked to probably be the next unforgettable's of college basketball and possibly even go undefeated. Their pretty much the cream of the crop over everybody IMO not just in the SEC
Vanderbilt will be their biggest challenger, IMHO. They win the SEC because they play hard, play together, have a great coach, and a pretty good amount of talented and skillful players.
Stardust, I see what you are trying to set up. Yes, UK and UNC are in their own class. They are much better than everyone else, however, everyone knows that anything can happen in the tournaments. Nobody argues that UNC and UK are the best this season, however, if they go cold or get injuries, anything can happen.

Even if UK or UNC goes 30-something and 0 and shoots 30% from the floor and some team shoots 60% and the refs help, does it mean that they are the better team? Many times Bill Self has watched the best team in basketball go out early in the tourney, Tubby had a team or two that was probably the best, lose in the tourney or have an injury happen and lose the the eventual champ, etc....

I will congratulate the champs and enjoy the NCAA tourney no matter what, but there are many times, IMO, that the best team is not the champs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
because they UK!!!!
LWC Wrote:Stardust, I see what you are trying to set up. Yes, UK and UNC are in their own class. They are much better than everyone else, however, everyone knows that anything can happen in the tournaments. Nobody argues that UNC and UK are the best this season, however, if they go cold or get injuries, anything can happen.

Even if UK or UNC goes 30-something and 0 and shoots 30% from the floor and some team shoots 60% and the refs help, does it mean that they are the better team? Many times Bill Self has watched the best team in basketball go out early in the tourney, Tubby had a team or two that was probably the best, lose in the tourney or have an injury happen and lose the the eventual champ, etc....

I will congratulate the champs and enjoy the NCAA tourney no matter what, but there are many times, IMO, that the best team is not the champs.
Just like last season, IMO none of they final 4 teams were top 4 teams...but thats why they play the tournament instead of just giving it to the regular season champs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
The SEC is much, much stronger than it was last year, or the year before that in my opinion. Florida and Vandy are going to be top teams, and going to be top teams all season. We really, really gotta watch out for Vandy, even more so than Florida.
Quote:The SEC is much, much stronger than it was last year, or the year before that in my opinion. Florida and Vandy are going to be top teams, and going to be top teams all season. We really, really gotta watch out for Vandy, even more so than Florida.

ahh now.... lol to hell with vandy an florida. uk will rape all SEC teams this year:1:
^ rape:ban:
Did he say rape? I think he meant to say sodomize with a triple-7 rock truck.
comeback_kidxXx Wrote:ahh now.... lol to hell with vandy an florida. uk will rape all SEC teams this year:1:

lol, if you don't give Vandy the respect they deserve then you're an idiot dude. They could be just as good as us. Go look at their roster.
You all are all still forgetting one thing... KenSucky doesn't have Sick Sick Two Fiddy!!! GO CARDS!!!
UK better enjoy it while they can. The day WVU steps foot in the SEC, Cal will be toast.
Hell yeah UK will win the SEC. You'd be dumb as hell to say no
HollaBack Wrote:You all are all still forgetting one thing... KenSucky doesn't have Sick Sick Two Fiddy!!! GO CARDS!!!

HAHAHAHA Confusederiously:

dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:UK better enjoy it while they can. The day WVU steps foot in the SEC, Cal will be toast.

We will see, we will see.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:UK better enjoy it while they can. The day WVU steps foot in the SEC, Cal will be toast.

Hahahahahahah...keep telling yourself that crap man.