Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
51st District Favorite
Blind Umpire Wrote:Rumor has it that Jeff Banfield will be taking over as head coach. If this is true, he will be bringing many years of baseball experience to this veteran team. I look for the Barbourville Tigers to be the team to beat this year.
If Banfield gets the job I feel that it is a huge mistake. No discipline whatsoever. The Tigers will miss Bohl more than anyone imagines. He and Hillard are incredibly similar.
Baseballgirlfriend. Wrote:That's kinda rude. Barbourville is just as capable as anyone in the 13th region to win the region title. Barbourville is loaded with seniors and with good coaching and senior leadership so I believe they really cold contend for the region title!!
To win a regional title you have to have three really good pitchers and be able to put up a lot of runs. Defense is important, but look at the last 3 regional champions. South and Clay twice. All three put up 10 runs or more in all of their regional tournament games. To win the regional tournament you must have pitchers that can keep it in the ball park and throw everything for a strike and a lineup that is capable of doing damage 1-9.
Hit and Run Wrote:To win a regional title you have to have three really good pitchers and be able to put up a lot of runs. Defense is important, but look at the last 3 regional champions. South and Clay twice. All three put up 10 runs or more in all of their regional tournament games. To win the regional tournament you must have pitchers that can keep it in the ball park and throw everything for a strike and a lineup that is capable of doing damage 1-9.

I agree with each of your last two posts. I dont see Banfield being able to lead them very far with his child on the team. As far as Barbourville winning region, those chances are slim to none. Barbourville is the team everyone crosses their fingers for in hopes of drawing not the the team everyone fears.
Aldric Perfidus Wrote:I agree with each of your last two posts. I dont see Banfield being able to lead them very far with his child on the team. As far as Barbourville winning region, those chances are slim to none. Barbourville is the team everyone crosses their fingers for in hopes of drawing not the the team everyone fears.
That part can change rather quickly. Look at Clay County. 5 years ago they were one of the worst programs in the region. With a change of mind and scenery you can turn that part around. It starts in June. Regional titles are won in the off season. I know it sounds cliche, but players can't pick up the bat on Feb 15th and expect to be a championship team by May. You make up no ground from February through May because everyone is putting in the work. June through January is where you become a better club!
Hit and Run Wrote:That part can change rather quickly. Look at Clay County. 5 years ago they were one of the worst programs in the region. With a change of mind and scenery you can turn that part around. It starts in June. Regional titles are won in the off season. I know it sounds cliche, but players can't pick up the bat on Feb 15th and expect to be a championship team by May. You make up no ground from February through May because everyone is putting in the work. June through January is where you become a better club!

Well put my friend. Very intelligent post.:Thumbs:
^ Smartest post I've read in a long time. Makes ya wonder who's putting in the work as we speak.
Hit and Run Wrote:If Banfield gets the job I feel that it is a huge mistake. No discipline whatsoever. The Tigers will miss Bohl more than anyone imagines. He and Hillard are incredibly similar.

Are you serious right now? Obviously you're not very close with the Tigers baseball program because if you were, you would know that statement is not true in the least bit. When the Tigers looked for discipline, they turned to Banfield. What exactly gives you the right to say that Banfield has no discipline? Where is your proof? When you have one shread of proof on that matter you let me know because to this date I have never seen any. :flame:
The only Barbourville squad I've ever seen is one with a ton of poor attitudes, be it baseball or basetball. Their coaches dont handle discipline, and poor attitudes are diplayed through throwing helmets, arguing balls and strikes, and making every excuse as to why they dont win more games. Barbourville lacks the leadership and dedication to beat knox central. They play the jersey, not the game. There arent enough players at Bourbourville, if any at all, that play summer ball and work day in and day out to get better. These kids like vorbeck, storm, and brooks (north laurel) put the time in. There is no off season. Has Barbourville picked up a bat yet? They dont even have a coach