18. Eastern
19. Covington Holy Cross
20. Central Hardin
21. Tates Creek
22. North Oldham
23. Presentation
24. Scott
25. South Oldham
Can't believe Southwestern isn't in the top 25! Finished as one of the last 8 teams in the state last season and only lost a middle...
Southwestern looked good in the Food City Tourney, beating South Floyd in the finals. I am surprised myself, SF had a really good summer camp at UK, beating Lone Oak and Apollo, but schools anywhere south or east of the major v-ball sites will always have a hard time getting much PR. But, honestly that will never change until somebody can break the private school domination of this sport.
Very true! I really wish it would be broken up into classes... give these other schools away from Lexington and Louisville the chance to bring a state championship back to their schools.
Southwestern really looked good today! The girls play good fundamental ball and play well together.
GoReds Wrote:Can't believe Southwestern isn't in the top 25! Finished as one of the last 8 teams in the state last season and only lost a middle...
"Finished as one of the last 8 teams in the state last season" is a true statement, but let's be honest about that.....

They did finish in the last 8 in the tourney, but even though they had a decent team, they were far from the 8th team in the state. They finished 8th by virtue of a state tournament that allows participation based on location, not strength of your team. The KVCA preseason poll is based on the how the team did last year against its competiton, and how strong those teams were themselves. You don't get points for having a good record against weak competition.

Just take a look at what happened to Southwestern on the few occasions when they did come up against teams from the Lou-Lex-NKY areas--they lost. They got beat by Oldham County, North Oldham, Simon Kenton, Dunbar, and Henry Clay. The closest game was with North Oldham who ended up with about a 50% winning percentage.

I somewhat agree with the idea of breaking volleyball into classes, but what does that really gain you? The classes would be based on school size--Southwestern would still have to face opponents that would beat them handily. There already is a Class A tournament--and who wins it? Louisville and NKY teams. Caldwell County is one of the few who has had success in playing these teams. And, if you did win a future Class A or Class 2A title, what did you really win? A watered down trophy is what you won.
That to me is really what matters. How you finish at the end of the season. Half the top 25 doesn't even make it out of region, and three mountain schools takes three more spots from that list. To me the private people are the ones who got there AD and board control members to pass not to allow private and public split. This is going on in other sports to. It doesn't matter what kind of ranking you are, 13th, 14th, and 15th Region teams earn there way into the tournament by winning there region. It will never change.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]