Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What deals might the Reds make before the trade deadline
Have you heard any rumors on any player they might be interested in? Who do you believe they should go after?
Really the only only thing that I have heard is Ramon Hernandez and maybe some minor league players like Alonso.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Announcers just said that Johnny Gomez was traded to the Washington Nationals right before the game tonight with the Mets
Reds Trade Jonny Gomes

The Reds traded struggling outfielder Jonny Gomes to Washington for two minor leaguers, then called up Yonder Alonso to take his spot on the roster.

Gomes was part of the Reds' surge to the NL Central title last season, but slumped badly this year. He's batting .211 with 11 homers and 31 RBIs.

The Reds obtained left-hander Chris Manno and outfielder Bill Rhinehart from Washington. The Reds included cash in the deal to pay for Gomes' salary.
Alonso was the seventh overall pick in the June 2008 draft. The career first baseman has been moved to the outfield in the minors.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/680600...-nationals
So long Johnny! Sorry about that for him but he was about as useless as the apendix. He seems like such a nice guy but no production at all. So loss is gain.
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
Yonder Alonso will be taking Gomes stop in LF and backup Votto at 1st.

I liked Gomes, I always will but SDK your right JG just wasnt producing.
I'll tell you a little bit about these guys we got in return for Gomes.

The Nationals actually gave up WAY much more than they should have.

Bill Rhinehart is having a huge power year in Double A, his age is a little concern (26 years old) but right now he's raking in Double A, friend of mine wouldn't be surprised to see him come in next year as a power bat off the bench.

Chris Manno is a future big league closer in the making, electric stuff, great fastball, decent curve and change-up. Lefty.

Reds easily win this trade.
The Reds were not in the market for new players. They clearly stated they were not going to rent a player for the rest of the season nor were they willing to bring in a player that unbalanced the payroll. They were clear that they were going to bring up younger players. In order to do that, they have to trade players off of the current roster.
I honestly thought that this was a good trade.... Regardless of the prospects. Hearing that these are some solid future contributing prospects just makes the deal a lil better.
[SIZE="4"]