Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County Central 13 vs.Phelps (at Belfry) 9 60th District
Final
Saw one of the worst umpiring blunders of the year last night.

Situation runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs. Batter strikes out and catcher missed it. Batter takes off to first and the catcher does not make a throw so all runners advance and are safe. Batter should have been called out but noone said a word. Result Pike Central scored a run they should not have gotten and Phelps coaches did not even consult the umpires.

With 3 umpires calling the game this is a shame, but it is also what we are accustomed to seeing night in and night out in the 15th.
Commanche Wrote:Saw one of the worst umpiring blunders of the year last night.

Situation runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs. Batter strikes out and catcher missed it. Batter takes off to first and the catcher does not make a throw so all runners advance and are safe. Batter should have been called out but noone said a word. Result Pike Central scored a run they should not have gotten and Phelps coaches did not even consult the umpires.

With 3 umpires calling the game this is a shame, but it is also what we are accustomed to seeing night in and night out in the 15th.

I think I can top that. I saw a player get rung up on only two strikes.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:I think I can top that. I saw a player get rung up on only two strikes.

Yep saw that and the umpire looked a little foolish dancing around for strike 2. LOL
Commanche Wrote:Saw one of the worst umpiring blunders of the year last night.

How recent of a rule change is that? I grew up with the notion of a missed ball on a 3rd strike, you can be safe at 1st if you beat the throw or if no throw. Haven't seen this happen recently, that's why I'm asking. And someone getting rung up on 2 strikes???? Did anyone challenge that one?
PHSForever Wrote:How recent of a rule change is that? I grew up with the notion of a missed ball on a 3rd strike, you can be safe at 1st if you beat the throw or if no throw. Haven't seen this happen recently, that's why I'm asking. And someone getting rung up on 2 strikes???? Did anyone challenge that one?
With less than 2 outs, first base cannot be occupied for a batter to advance to first on a missed 3rd strike.
Panther Thunder Wrote:With less than 2 outs, first base cannot be occupied for a batter to advance to first on a missed 3rd strike.
Thank you. I was under the impression it was treated like a passed ball, anyone can advance. What if the throw had been attempted to 1st, any different? Or what if it is a 1st and 3rd, same situation?
PHSForever Wrote:Thank you. I was under the impression it was treated like a passed ball, anyone can advance. What if the throw had been attempted to 1st, any different? Or what if it is a 1st and 3rd, same situation?
Doesn't matter if second or third are occupied, just first base. And if a throw had been attempted, he would still be out even if the ball was launched into the parking lot. It is the umpire's job to make it known that the batter is out, the batter can still run to first if he wants, but it would just be to try to draw a throw. The catcher should know the situation and realize a throw is unnecessary and focus on the other runners.

This also applies to any ball that is not fielded cleanly by the catcher. It does not have to be a passed ball, it can just simply be dropped.