Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern Kentucky Airport Ordered Closed
State aviation officials have ordered the Combs Airport in Johnson County to shut down.

They claim the airport is unsafe and say it must close by the end of the month.

However, local officials disagree and believe this is politically motivated.

The Aviation Board says the mountainous terrain makes it unsafe to take off and land, but the airport manager says nothing has changed at the airport since it opened in 1964.

They also say the state board approved permits to build new hangars just four months ago.

Prestonsburg Mayor Jerry Fannin is filing an injuction to try and keep the airport open.
There isn't many people at all who use the airport but I would like to see it stay open
I didnt know that had an airport.

You think they could put a little money in improving safety instead of closing.
yeah you would think............
They just gave money and permits to build new hangars recently and now they want it closed... something doesn't seem right about that
True 15th.
i didnt even know they had an airport
Close it and put in a drag strip.......
they dont really use it alot it's mainly just there for local ppl who have planes or want to fly in a small plane. i've never known to have a plane leave this area tho. On the other hand if they do close it, it would make an awesome drag racing track.
They would make some money there as a drag strip....... Everyone gets sick of always driving to Clay City.....
TATE_64 Wrote:Close it and put in a drag strip.......

That would be awesome!!......They could make a killin, not many people ue the airport now anyways.
It is in a bad location in the valley. I think that it is probably in the best interest of safety for it to be closed.
I am not familiar with the situation. But everyone--keep in mind--the airport/airline business is by far, the most over regulated government entity.

I think if there is a need for an airport, than the airport needs to say. But it does sound like there is a little political motivation behind this . . .
i never knew it was there
Does the Cox family own a restaurant their?
There isn't a restaurant there.. there is one called Cloud 9 on the Martin County airport though

I heard something about politics being behind it.. Mayor Fanning mentioned something aboout Fletcher but I don't remember what it was
A drag strip would be nice.
TERMINATOR X Wrote:A drag strip would be nice.

And would bring in a lot of money!! My husband would be there as much as possible.