Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enes Kanter ruled permanently ineligible
Wildcatk23 Wrote:^ But the NCAA ruled him ineligible to start with correct?

Yes, that is correct. I said that the NCAA made the decision, and they made a decision that has been very consistent on any player that has attempted to become eligible after competing with professionals. This is not the first time that someone has attempted to come from a professional league. This reule was put in and written the way it was due to the junior hockey leagues in Canada. If this rule was going to change, it would have been from the committee made up by the schools.
Hey Wildcat23, tell us what you really think about John Cena!!!! You are probably a Miz lover. That clown is just another prettyboy flavor of the month. I know this is has nothing to do with the subject of the thread and I am sure Stardust can fight his own battle, but when you take a shot at Dusty Rhodes with your anti Cena sig, I have to respond.
Stardust Wrote:^ You know, now that it's over, I'm disappointed. I honestly thought that he would get a year suspension, thus allowing him to come back next season. This decision was not made by the NCAA, it was made up by the appeals committee, which is school representatives. Thus, the schools agreed with the NCAA and that's where I am surprised. I know a lot has been said that the NCAA treated UK differently, but the NCAA did not make the final decision.

Since it's the school that made the final decision, then they have just cut their own throats. This decision is a landmark decision and will affect recruiting forever of International players. I'd love to see who the schools were that are part of this committee.

It's made up of 25 reps that all graduated from Duke Smile
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Hey Wildcat23, tell us what you really think about John Cena!!!! You are probably a Miz lover. That clown is just another prettyboy flavor of the month. I know this is has nothing to do with the subject of the thread and I am sure Stardust can fight his own battle, but when you take a shot at Dusty Rhodes with your anti Cena sig, I have to respond.

LOL, DNF, Dusty is a Living Legend, there is no arguing from my point. I'm the Heel, so when I get someone to respond to anything, then I WIN! :biggrin: Heels love to be hated, they are the one's who make the money because everyone wants them to lose.

About your comment of the Miz, he is just an interim champ until the change hands prior to WM!
zaga_fan Wrote:It's made up of 25 reps that all graduated from Duke Smile

LOL, that could very well be the case! Maybe the same one's who could not find anything wrong with Magette's case:biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:LOL, that could very well be the case! Maybe the same one's who could not find anything wrong with Magette's case:biggrin:

That's probably what happened Wink
I loved what **** Vitale had to say about this during the broadcast he was on Saturday.
zaga_fan Wrote:That's probably what happened Wink

NCAA News Release
Kanter Ruled Permanently Ineligible

For Immediate Release

Friday, January 7, 2011
Contact(s)

Chuck Wynne
Director of Communication Strategy
317/917-6117

INDIANAPOLIS ---University of Kentucky men’s basketball student-athlete Enes Kanter has been ruled permanently ineligible for receiving impermissible compensation from a professional team.

The NCAA Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee has upheld the NCAA staff decision that Kanter received $33,033 above his actual and necessary expenses for one year while playing for a club basketball team in Turkey.

The reinstatement committee is the final appeal opportunity. The independent committee is composed of representatives from NCAA member colleges, universities and athletic conferences. It can reduce or remove the conditions but cannot increase the conditions imposed by the staff.

It never alludes to who the schools are on that committee, but I can asume it's not UKConfusedhh:
Stardust Wrote:^ You know, now that it's over, I'm disappointed. I honestly thought that he would get a year suspension, thus allowing him to come back next season. This decision was not made by the NCAA, it was made up by the appeals committee, which is school representatives. Thus, the schools agreed with the NCAA and that's where I am surprised. I know a lot has been said that the NCAA treated UK differently, but the NCAA did not make the final decision.

Since it's the school that made the final decision, then they have just cut their own throats. This decision is a landmark decision and will affect recruiting forever of International players. I'd love to see who the schools were that are part of this committee.

So you're telling me that other schools got to decide whether we got this kid or what!?!!? :yikes: :flush:
LClion4life Wrote:So you're telling me that other schools got to decide whether we got this kid or what!?!!? :yikes: :flush:

LOL, no, the NCAA decided it to begin with. This committee, which our own Barnhart sits on, decided to uphold it. So, if anyone thinks that the committee is going to purposely screw over Barnhart, that's ridiculous. Barnhart was for obvious reasons not able to sit in on this vote.
This sucks for UK! I was really looking forward to watching this kid play. Huge lose!

Is his parents gonna go to court with this whole situation?
HossDawg Wrote:This sucks for UK! I was really looking forward to watching this kid play. Huge lose!

Is his parents gonna go to court with this whole situation?

There was no indication that the parents planned to do anything further. Based on Calipari's comment about attending the NBA draft with Enes, my guess is that this is a done deal.
Stardust Wrote:There was no indication that the parents planned to do anything further. Based on Calipari's comment about attending the NBA draft with Enes, my guess is that this is a done deal.

I didn't know he was entering the draft.
Stardust Wrote:No Enes is no surprise.

As for Kanter, you have to feel a bit sorry for the big fellow. He’s hung around this long in hopes something would change. But it didn’t. He’s had the opportunity to practice with a top college basketball team, but not play for a top college basketball team. Next we will see him the pros. And, yes, I expect Calipari to be right there beside him on draft day.

There will be NCAA bashing, of course. Some of it may be justified. But in the end, the $33,000 Kanter received beyond reasonable expenses was just too much to overcome. The fact that Kanter got paid for playing basketball was just too much to overcome.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2011/01/07/...more-20044

HossDawg Wrote:I didn't know he was entering the draft.

From the article posted earlier, it looks like Enes will declare for the draft
I really hate this for the kid, more so that I do for UK. He wanted to play college ball or he wouldn't have turned down the money that has already been offered to him before. With all that the NCAA has ruled on this year, it is just real hard to swallow. How can the villify this kid but let obvious cheaters get through? That just blows my mind.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I really hate this for the kid, more so that I do for UK. He wanted to play college ball or he wouldn't have turned down the money that has already been offered to him before. With all that the NCAA has ruled on this year, it is just real hard to swallow. How can the villify this kid but let obvious cheaters get through? That just blows my mind.

:Thumbs:
Amun-Ra Wrote:I really hate this for the kid, more so that I do for UK. He wanted to play college ball or he wouldn't have turned down the money that has already been offered to him before. With all that the NCAA has ruled on this year, it is just real hard to swallow. How can the villify this kid but let obvious cheaters get through? That just blows my mind.

I agree with you Amun-Ra. I've posted that I never thought the kid had a chance to get a chance to play due to this case being too similar to the Junior Hockey players from Canada always failing for the same reasons. But, to look at the young man, versus the blatant cheaters who looked to not get more than they were eligible to claim, but to flat out cheat and say "I want everything you have got" is an in-justice of sorts.
Quote:I don't think it's UK they hate... It's Coach Cal.

I just want some consistency in the NCAA. If Kanter can't play, neither should Cam Newton nor Terrel Pryor. It's an absolute joke!

i agree
Stardust the only reason I had hope is because of all the other rulings the NCAA kept making. The Selby one in particular. According the the NCAA it wasn't how much Kanter took but they fact he took money from a professional organization. I guess that professional agent Selby took money from must have been the NCAA's mulligan. How is are those two different? If it wasnt the amount of money but just the act of accepting benefits then Selby should be forced to sit out as well.

The inconsistancies are just too much to understand or accept.
^ I can't answer, but can only surmise. The only reason the NCAA backed off the Professional competiton as was expected that they would use, and termed this as being compensated more than the amount that would necessitate his means to cover expenses was the revision to their own rules. When they deemed the "Kanter Rule" that an athlete can now compete on professional teams, I certainly thought there was room to wiggle in their original ruling. But like I said, this ruling has followed exactly the guidelines they have set for Hockey. I can see your point, and I have not been arguing that Kanter should not have been given the benefit of the doubt, but only to say that the NCAA had a rule that preceded this event, and they have stayed consistent with it. I can't understand why the NCAA has not just came out and said that kanter is not eligible due to him playing professionally, but this is the reason why no matter what the NCAA has stated publicly as the reason.
Well to me they opened a can of worms that they should have to respond to. If it wasn't the amount of money but just the money then how can they justify Selby being aloowed and not Kanter. They should have to answer this. Someone should make them explain.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Stardust the only reason I had hope is because of all the other rulings the NCAA kept making. The Selby one in particular. According the the NCAA it wasn't how much Kanter took but they fact he took money from a professional organization. I guess that professional agent Selby took money from must have been the NCAA's mulligan. How is are those two different? If it wasnt the amount of money but just the act of accepting benefits then Selby should be forced to sit out as well.

The inconsistancies are just too much to understand or accept.

I guess I didn't address your comments about Selby, or guys like Newton. I do not feel they should be eligible, i did not agree with the NCAA on this. But UK was not pointed out because they are UK. There were other cases of players being ruled permanently ineligible this year as well. But let's be clear, it was not the NCAA who upheld the initial ruling, it was a committee of colleges, with no one from the NCAA on that committee. The Eligibility committee is who ruled in favor of the NCAA's original decision. The Eligibility committee has our own Barnhart on that committee. So, Barnhart himself would have been involved in other cases this year that ruled other athletes permanently ineligible himself.
I understand that but I dont know any of the other cases. I happen to know the Kanter case and Selby's pretty good. Now with these last commenets made by the NCAA's prez one has to wonder the difference. How can one be eligible and one not be? I say they should have to answer for that.
^ Point well taken, but we know that the NCAA will not answer. So instead of going to the NCAA, let's hold the eligibility committee to task. Like I said, the NCAA did not sit on that committee, so if there was any chance to change the NCAA decision, it was in the hands of the schools. Should we as fans be petitioning our own Barnhart to get an answer from a committee that he sits on?
I know the NCAA didn't have anything to do with the appeals committee. But when the appeals committee upheld the original ruling they said it was because the facts have never changed. They said in the original ruling, Kanter accepted benefits and that was what made him ineligible. Not that he took 33 thousand but just that he took something. So thats my argument.

Barnhardt has been furious with the decision and has voiced it openly. As has Lee Todd and Calipari who keeps questioning the justice in the ruling.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I know the NCAA didn't have anything to do with the appeals committee. But when the appeals committee upheld the original ruling they said it was because the facts have never changed. They said in the original ruling, Kanter accepted benefits and that was what made him ineligible. Not that he took 33 thousand but just that he took something. So thats my argument.

Barnhardt has been furious with the decision and has voiced it openly. As has Lee Todd and Calipari who keeps questioning the justice in the ruling.

Dead-on, and I agree that the benefits comparison to what other athletes who have not been penalized was the opportunity. The Appeals committee was correct in finding that the $33K was in the original findings from the NCAA, but the committee had the right to say that this was in line with the recent rulings with Cam and Selby, thus they could have overturned the NCAA's "Reasoning". That was in their right to do. I'd expect that Barnhart will be a very disgruntled member of that committee going forward.
Another thing that gets me is the NCAA prez Mark Emmert, who is also U Washington's prez, and his comments. First he says that few school were going after Kanter because of eligibility concerns. He fails to mention Kanter was committed to UDub before decommitting and going to UK.
Then he says no one should be shocked by the ruling saying the case was black and white????? Like Calipari said how is something black and white but it takes several months to make a rule on it.

This guys comments make it sound personal to me. Like he is glad Kanter can't play. I wonder had Enes stayed in Washington if this guys would be so "black & white" about it.