Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Type of Equipment Does Your Team Use?
With all the talk about injuries and injury prevention--what type of equipment does your team use? Has your team made the switch to Revolution helmets? Are they using custom fit Power or Douglas pads?

What is your opinion here?
SF use the revolution helmets but i dunno about the pads. no one got injured on the upper body this yea so whatever pads we are using are really good.
we use revolutin scutt and bike. revolution and ridell helmets
Raider Time Wrote:SF use the revolution helmets but i dunno about the pads. no one got injured on the upper body this yea so whatever pads we are using are really good.
sf has 2 revolution helments all the others are just regular ridell helments
p-burg has half revolution which mainly go to upperclassmen an a few underclassmen and half ridell. Also most have new powerpack pads.
Raider Time Wrote:SF use the revolution helmets but i dunno about the pads. no one got injured on the upper body this yea so whatever pads we are using are really good.

What PADS you're wearing on the OUTSIDE has less to do actually than what's UNDERNEATH the pads when it comes to injuries.

You can put the top, pro-level shoulder pad on a kid that doesn't do any SHOULDER-STRENGTH/BUILDING work in the off-season and he's going to get hurt if he hits with his shoulders like he's supposed to.

It's the equipment (and moreso, what you DO with it) in the WEIGHT ROOM that matters more than anything in preventing injuries.
Football24_7 Wrote:What PADS you're wearing on the OUTSIDE has less to do actually than what's UNDERNEATH the pads when it comes to injuries.

You can put the top, pro-level shoulder pad on a kid that doesn't do any SHOULDER-STRENGTH/BUILDING work in the off-season and he's going to get hurt if he hits with his shoulders like he's supposed to.

It's the equipment (and moreso, what you DO with it) in the WEIGHT ROOM that matters more than anything in preventing injuries.

To a certain extent--you are correct. But on another level, you are dead wrong. Our kids are custom fitted with their pads--and there are more than a few kids who never touch a weight at all UNTIL after the season starts. They walk out with ZERO injuries (at least the ones that I can remember off the top of my head). That has more to do with the equpiment than you are giving credit for.

Equipment that doesn't fit right can CAUSE injuries. And there are some brands of equipment that go the extra mile for fit/quality. It isn't a guarantee that NOT physically preparing your self can cause injuries. Without handing either one correctly, you increase the likelihood for injuries--not neither is an exact guarantee.

The actual ideal situation is a kid that is physically conditioned in the correct manner combined with equipment that is fit to the individual. One or the other isn't the best situation either.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:The actual ideal situation is a kid that is physically conditioned in the correct manner combined with equipment that is fit to the individual. One or the other isn't the best situation either.

True enough. My point was...

it could be DANGEROUS to give TOO much emphasis to the EQUIPMENT you're wearing.

It would be a VERY bad thing for a kid to be under the FALSE assumption that as long as he has "top of the line" "well-fitting" shoulder pads and helmet, that he is doing the BEST possible thing to keep him from injury...despite the fact that "best you can remember" none of yours that don't lift has ever has gotten hurt.

I would assert that of the two, what physical shape your BODY is in (specifically referring to SHOULDERS especially) is MORE important than the brand, type, etc. of shoulder pads you are wearing (I would hope the "fitting" part goes without saying).
Football24_7 Wrote:True enough. My point was...

it could be DANGEROUS to give TOO much emphasis to the EQUIPMENT you're wearing.

It would be a VERY bad thing for a kid to be under the FALSE assumption that as long as he has "top of the line" "well-fitting" shoulder pads and helmet, that he is doing the BEST possible thing to keep him from injury...despite the fact that "best you can remember" none of yours that don't lift has ever has gotten hurt.

I would assert that of the two, what physical shape your BODY is in (specifically referring to SHOULDERS especially) is MORE important than the brand, type, etc. of shoulder pads you are wearing (I would hope the "fitting" part goes without saying).

Fair enough--you are 100% correct. We are on common ground here.

That is also one of our coaching points (in regard to physical conditioning as well).

I definitely could have been a little more clear in regard to the direction that I was going with this post.

I wanted to hit more on the impressive amount of progress that has been made in regard to football equipment. And I definitely did not make that very clear. Sorry, 24/7.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:Fair enough--you are 100% correct. We are on common ground here.

That is also one of our coaching points (in regard to physical conditioning as well).

I definitely could have been a little more clear in regard to the direction that I was going with this post.

I wanted to hit more on the impressive amount of progress that has been made in regard to football equipment. And I definitely did not make that very clear. Sorry, 24/7.

You and I agree more than we disagree on stuff.
Hey dont jump on to me he was the one who started the thread get on to him. I just putting my opinion so lay off
i got my pads ... straight out of the jcpenny catalog ... remember those ...