Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New KHSAA Alignment
easyM Wrote:I'll give Highlands it's due. They are one heck of a program. They win, win, and win more. That being said, they could have stopped at 4A and played and had much more competition than they do and have had in 5A. So I don't buy that argument at all. And some post I read where they wanted to stay with Cov Cath. Well, we know what kind of nose dive they have been in for years now. I won't argue the fact that they could win 4A but it sure wouldn't have been the cakewalk they've had in recent years.....

Staying with Cov. Cath. had nothing to do with moving up. Both Highlands and Cov.Cath. where geographically bound and if they both moved to 5A it would make a district.

With the new alignment for next year Highlands numbers wise is in 4A and there will be Cov. Cath. , Copper, and Holmes. Possibly Pendleton.

It was surprising to me how many 4A teams petitioned to move up. Don't know if any were allowed .

Highlands is very happy to be in 4A. There is great competition in 4A with Boyle, Johnson Central , Lex. Cath. Rockcastle, and Ashland etc.
fedscreekviking Wrote:If you check the KHSAA rules when schools combine, for the first 2 years they can play at the level of the highest rated school going into the consol. Im guessing that is why the schools mentioned are allowed to play down. I have stated on this site before that when East Ridge combined they could have played Class A for 2 years but the Pike Co board made them play in the toughest 2A district With Belfry Prestonsburg and Sheldon Clark. Of course they got killed in those games and I think this helped keep the 80% of the school that were From Millard and Feds Creek {who had never had football} from wanting to play, helping create the struggle ER has suffered since.
Thats funny right there.
This article was in the Danville Advocate Messanger. Just thought it would be of interest to this thread.

Prep Football: KHSAA commissioner answers questions about reclassification
By LARRY VAUGHT
[email]larry@amnews.com[/email]
September 25, 2010

The Kentucky High School Athletic Association is scheduled to release information Monday on what teams will be playing in each football class in 2011-12. District alignments will be released later, but Monday’s information should reveal if teams that asked to move up in class will be allowed to do so.

KHSAA commission Julian Tackett offered a few insights on how the process works:

Question: What factors are taken into consideration when a football team asks to move up in class?

Tackett: Geography, and only geography. Were they in a position where the teams that likely were to be assigned to play with them created a geographic hardship. That was the sole criterion to be used. There was one school whose request got complicated a bit by the fact that they are a second-year school, but all others were considered completely and solely based on geography.

Question: How much do you and the Board of Control try to factor in what competitive advantages might be gained by teams asking to move up in class?

Tackett: “Not one single bit.”

Question: Do you favor teams being allowed to move up, or would you prefer just to align classes by enrollment and that be the end of it?

Tackett: “Personally, only for those extreme geographic situations, not just for competitive or region balance reasons. Why classify if classes can then be manipulated for competition reasons.”

Question: Does it seem unfair that football teams can ask to move out of district/regions when soccer, basketball, baseball teams really do not have the same options?

Tackett: “See answer to previous question.”

Question: Who makes the final decision on a team moving up?

Tackett: “The Board of Control.”

Copyright: AMNews.com 2010
Shelby Valley recieved word from the KHSAA earlier this week that they will be staying down in class 2A.

This is due to them being the smallest team in 3A, and Bath Co. is playing up from class 2a to 3A

This is going to but Bath Co. with Fleming, Bourbon, Mason and Nicholas.

The other thing I'm hearing, not from Khsaa...is that Allen Central will be playing up due to the fact that there can only be 32 teams in class 1A...Allen Central is the largest team in the 1A district 8....which is a five team district.

So in all retrospect...the 2A district 8 will look like, Prestonsburg, Betsty Layne, SV, Allen Central.
well wonder who will take SV place in the district with Belfry,PC,ER?
tradition Wrote:Staying with Cov. Cath. had nothing to do with moving up. Both Highlands and Cov.Cath. where geographically bound and if they both moved to 5A it would make a district.

With the new alignment for next year Highlands numbers wise is in 4A and there will be Cov. Cath. , Copper, and Holmes. Possibly Pendleton.

It was surprising to me how many 4A teams petitioned to move up. Don't know if any were allowed .

Highlands is very happy to be in 4A. There is great competition in 4A with Boyle, Johnson Central , Lex. Cath. Rockcastle, and Ashland etc.

From what's been said on here Boyle is trying to get out of 4A. I like Highlands moving down to 4A but it's not going to be very top heavy now.
tradition Wrote:Staying with Cov. Cath. had nothing to do with moving up. Both Highlands and Cov.Cath. where geographically bound and if they both moved to 5A it would make a district.

And Traditions it's nothing to me but one of your own posters stated they did at the time want to stay wherever Cov Cath was. That's why the above was said.
easyM Wrote:And Traditions it's nothing to me but one of your own posters stated they did at the time want to stay wherever Cov Cath was. That's why the above was said.

OK, they may have wanted to stay with Cov. Cath. but it had nothing to do with moving up. Both schools were geographically bound. Just because you would like to be in the same district as another school , by no means is a reason to get to move.
tradition Wrote:OK, they may have wanted to stay with Cov. Cath. but it had nothing to do with moving up. Both schools were geographically bound. Just because you would like to be in the same district as another school , by no means is a reason to get to move.

No it's not but in this instance it happened for years. I do understand the geographic part but nonetheless it worked out for Highlands and I guess I would have to say Cov. Cath as well.
does anybody have the FINAL list of what teams will be in what class?
Pigskinman53 Wrote:does anybody have the FINAL list of what teams will be in what class?

Nobody will until Oct 15. Everything is speculation and hearsay until then.
Lawrence will be taking the sport temporially held by SV in class 3A.

The Shelby Valley staying in class 2A is true. The Priciple, AD and Coached were notified by the KHSAA earlier in the week.

Shelby Valley, Prestonsburg, Betsy Layne, and Allen Central
I disagree with both of the posters who made fun of my post. One of you are incorrect about the ability for consolidated schools to play at the level of the biggest school that had football before. Look it up. In my opinion if ER had been allowed to play all 1A the fisrt 2 years they would had success those years. The way it worked out they didnt and have struggled for numbers since. They play 3A with 1A numbers. When I taught there I would ask good athletes why do you not play football. The answer every time was I dont want to play for a loser. Also it didnt help any when first year coach Ratliff was fired after winning 5 games that year. This opened the door to the 4 coaching changes they have had in the schools short history. For the 2 people who think I am stupid kiss my a**.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Nobody will until Oct 15. Everything is speculation and hearsay until then.
per Ryan Ernest blog at nky.com
The Kentucky High School Athletic Association this weekend should release its proposed football realignment for 2011. KHSAA representative Elden May said today the proposal could come out as early as 3 or 4 p.m. Friday.
The six-class alignment will have 32-team limits in the smallest (1A) and largest (6A) classifications. The middle classes would evenly divide the remaining teams. Teams are allowed to move up in class for geographical reasons.
The plan is being sent to schools to receive feedback. It could receive final approval at the KHSAA board of control meeting Oct. 18.
I was told from a very reliable source that Shelby Valley will stay in AA and Bath will move up to AAA.
joethegreek Wrote:I was told from a very reliable source that Shelby Valley will stay in AA and Bath will move up to AAA.

now we know your sources,lol, jk
[FONT="]PROPOSED DRAFT ALIGNMENT OF FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS SET FOR MONDAY RELEASE[/FONT]
[FONT="]A draft alignment of the six-class football playoff districts is in final preparation and will be released to the public on the KHSAA Web site on Monday, Oct. 4, at 10 a.m. The KHSAA Board of Control will review the proposed alignment and address feedback from the member schools at its next regular meeting, scheduled for Oct. 18-19 at the KHSAA office in Lexington. If adopted, the draft alignment will begin with the 2011 football season and run through 2014, with an opportunity for adjustment due to enrollment bounds after the 2012 season. [/FONT]
Twitter: @tc_analytics

thebrahmabull Wrote:[font="]proposed draft alignment of football playoffs set for monday release[/font]
[font="]a draft alignment of the six-class football playoff districts is in final preparation and will be released to the public on the khsaa web site on monday, oct. 4, at 10 a.m. The khsaa board of control will review the proposed alignment and address feedback from the member schools at its next regular meeting, scheduled for oct. 18-19 at the khsaa office in lexington. If adopted, the draft alignment will begin with the 2011 football season and run through 2014, with an opportunity for adjustment due to enrollment bounds after the 2012 season. [/font]

yes!
Heard tonight that Lex Cath and Boyle will both stay in 4A.
KHSAA delays realignment announcement
After further review, the Kentucky High School Athletic Association has decided to wait until Monday to release its football realignment proposal for the 2011 season.

Here's a copy of an email from KHSAA sports information director Elden May:

"After discussing this issue today, a release this afternoon of an issue this big would end up taking the focus off of tonight's games, something we want to avoid. Instead, the draft alignment, as well as maps and other supporting information, will be posted on our website and released on MONDAY at 10 A.M."

So ... we'll have to wait until Monday to get this news. Until then, enjoy tonight's high school football games. I hear there's a big one on tap in Louisville!

the courier-journal
Allen Central will not be in 2-A. Someone needs to count the teams. There is no way you can put 32 teams in each class. That is only 192 teams, I believe there are more teams than that.
Blackwater Wrote:Allen Central will not be in 2-A. Someone needs to count the teams. There is no way you can put 32 teams in each class. That is only 192 teams, I believe there are more teams than that.

I think the 32 team thing is for 1A and for 6A, then everyone else tries to even out the rest.
64black&gold Wrote:Why? Is all of the other classes besides 5a garbage now?

The best team in 5A on that list is Bowling Green and J- Town . And 4A and 6A are the best classes. Will highlands be in the east part of the of the playoff bracket are the west ?
cavery59 Wrote:The best team in 5A on that list is Bowling Green and J- Town.

Christian County and John Hardin ring any bells? Jeffersontown - really?
Never mind.
I am a follower of Prestonsburg football and I am excited about the change up of teams in our district. Hopefully they will put Russell in our district, that will become a great rivalry
Prestonsburg, Betsy Layne, Russell, and Shelby Valley will be in the same district in the initial alignment.
Blackwater Wrote:Prestonsburg, Betsy Layne, Russell, and Shelby Valley will be in the same district in the initial alignment.

If there are 40+ teams in 2A with 8 districts, the KHSAA is probably going to put another team in that district to make as many 5 team districts as possible. I have heard that LCA is very possibility going to be that team. There aren't any teams closer to that district in 2A with the majority of 2A now west of I-75. And I will venture to say that Russell and P'burg won't be happy if that happens. The SV and Betsy Layne game each year will be like the play-in game in the NCAA tourney. Winner gets in, loser stays home.
4ThePlayerz Wrote:KHSAA delays realignment announcement
After further review, the Kentucky High School Athletic Association has decided to wait until Monday to release its football realignment proposal for the 2011 season.

Here's a copy of an email from KHSAA sports information director Elden May:

"After discussing this issue today, a release this afternoon of an issue this big would end up taking the focus off of tonight's games, something we want to avoid. Instead, the draft alignment, as well as maps and other supporting information, will be posted on our website and released on MONDAY at 10 A.M."

So ... we'll have to wait until Monday to get this news. Until then, enjoy tonight's high school football games. I hear there's a big one on tap in Louisville!

the courier-journal

Smart move by the KHSAA. If they'd have released it Friday afternoon, most coaches would have been focused on their Friday night game; heck, many probably wouldn't have even seen it, particularly those traveling. They'd have had sports reporters asking the coaches what they thought about the alignment and districts before the coaches even saw it or had much of a chance to think about it. I think the coaches find out about the draft alignment a couple of hours prior to it being released to the public and media later this morning.