Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lakers add Steve Blake
-The Los Angeles Lakers did not wait long to replace free agent guard Jordan Farmar, reaching into their fellow Staples Center occupants' locker room to poach veteran guard Steve Blake from the Clippers. The two sides have agreed on a four-year, $16 million deal, Blake's agent confirmed, which is fully guaranteed with no options for either side.
Blake will almost certainly take Farmar's place next season backing up Derek Fisher, who is also a free agent but is expected to re-sign with the two-time defending champions. The Lakers didn't place a qualifying offer on Farmar before the start of the free agent period, making him an unrestricted free agent. Blake also had interest from the Knicks and other teams but the opportunity to play for the Lakers was too enticing.
The 30-year-old Blake has played for five NBA teams since being drafted in the first round in 2003 by the Washington Wizards, with career averages of 7.5 points and 4.3 assists per game. He started last season in Portland, where he started for most of the first half of the season for the Trail Blazers, but the injury-riddled Blazers, desperate for a big man after season-ending injuries to Greg Oden and Joel Pryzbilla, dealt Blake at the trade deadline to the Clippers along with forward Travis Outlaw for center Marcus Camby.
Blake first disclosed the deal Friday afternoon during an interview on Portland radio station KXTG-FM.
I know this isn't an eye popping addition but it was much needed with the departure of Jordan Farmar. He will be a good back up point guard for the Lakers.
Good news for Bledsoe.
Is this viewed as a possitive? I don't like Blakes style as a match-up for the Lakers rotations. I think this was just to add a body, but I don't see it as the right fit.
Stardust Wrote:Is this viewed as a possitive? I don't like Blakes style as a match-up for the Lakers rotations. I think this was just to add a body, but I don't see it as the right fit.

I think Shannon Brown is going to be a bigger factor for next year. Since they're both athletic to defend against other athletic point guards (which I think is why the Los Angeles Lakers have them), Shannon Brown will probably take Jordan Farmar's role and minutes.

I haven't watched Steve Blake, but the Los Angeles Lakers could've wanted another experienced point guard for the playoffs along with Derek Fisher.
I am not for this but will root for him being he is now a Laker.
I like this move.
Farmer wasn't coming back unless he was the starter.
Aslan Wrote:I like this move.
Farmer wasn't coming back unless he was the starter.

I'm just trying to find a Laker fan that know's why it's a good move from a baskeball move. Blake is experienced, but not playoff enxperienced. He is very slow footed defensively. And he plays the point from the top of the key, meaning he does not do a good as an off-screen guy. People are looking at his numbers, but his numbers are were for a team with a 180 degree style.
Stardust Wrote:I'm just trying to find a Laker fan that know's why it's a good move from a baskeball move. Blake is experienced, but not playoff enxperienced. He is very slow footed defensively. And he plays the point from the top of the key, meaning he does not do a good as an off-screen guy. People are looking at his numbers, but his numbers are were for a team with a 180 degree style.

You have a really good point there, and playoff experience is the only experience that matters for the Lakers.
Stardust Wrote:I'm just trying to find a Laker fan that know's why it's a good move from a baskeball move. Blake is experienced, but not playoff enxperienced. He is very slow footed defensively. And he plays the point from the top of the key, meaning he does not do a good as an off-screen guy. People are looking at his numbers, but his numbers are were for a team with a 180 degree style.

It's not like the Lakers are going to be counting on Blake to play big mins and take game winning shots. He'll contribute plenty coming off the bench.
Its a good move...not a great one.

He's like Derek Fisher 2.0.
Hey if the Laker organization thinks its a good move.....I'll back there decision.
K_Mac Wrote:Hey if the Laker organization thinks its a good move.....I'll back there decision.

:Thumbs: