Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class of 2012 rankings
The consensus No. 1 ranked player statewide in the Class of 2012 for the past few years has been Jaylen Beckham.

But Beckham recently left Lexington Catholic High School and will attend St. Benedict's Prep School in New Jersey.

So, that left the top spot open in the rankings.

But it wasn't hard to find the new No. 1 player in the '12 class - Scott County's Tamron Manning.

Manning has been sensational this spring on the AAU circuit and had a solid year - despite playing a long side three All-State performers as a sophomore with the Cardinals.

The rankings after the top spot were a lot tougher in this class than any. There are a lot of solid players but no one else has really stepped up to grab a hold of the No. 2 spot.

Here are the rankings and trust me there will be a ton of movement with these guys between now and the start of the high school season.

I have moved a lot of these around in just two weeks.

1. Tamron Manning, Scott County, 6-3 - He has the total package. There's not a lot on the court that Manning can't do. He'll lead the Cardinals next season.
2. Devon Rowan, North Oldham, 6-8 - A big bruiser who moves well on the floor. Rowan had a few monster efforts during the early spring and has a HUGE upside.
3. Charles Foster, Trinity, 6-0 - Foster is a smooth operator at the point for the Shamrocks. He's gaining confidence in his offensive game.
4. Taylor Barnette, Lexington Christian, 6-2 - No question he's the best shooter in the state. He'll play Division I basketball with that stroke.
5. Desmond Dorsey, Jeffersontown, 6-1 - Dorsey has been highly-regarded for years and is playing up to that potential this spring.
6. Isaiah Ivey, Scott County, 6-2 - Has a chance to raise the most in the rankings. He'll be a huge part of the Cardinals' plans this coming season.
7. Mike Terry, Fairview, 6-8 - Really love his all-around game. If he gets stronger and more consistent from the outside, Terry will be able to play at the Division I level.
8. Nathan Dieudonne, Trinity, 6-6 - Has a lot of skills and can jump out of the gym.
9. Mekale McKay, Moore, 6-3 - Has gone from unknown into the top 10 this spring after monster efforts at State AAU and the Derek Smith Shootout. He'll be one of the elite players in the loaded Seventh Region next season.
10. Corey Gregg, Ashland, 6-3 - Blue-collar player just gets it done.
11. Jay Johnson, Woodford County
12. B.J. Moore, Sheldon Clark
13. Jordan Brewer, LaRue County
14. Matt Day, Buckhorn
15. Jalen Wesson, Butler
16. Troy Saxton, Trinity
17. Daniel Ross, Jeffersontown
18. Zach Davis, Knott County Central
19. Max Clemons, PRP
20. Adam Wing, Rowan County
21. Jermaine Rutley, North Hardin
22. Tanner Broughton, Knox Central
23. Marcus Williams, Bryan Station
24. Andre Gray, Manual
25. Kyle Bush, Ashland

CLOSING IN ON THE LIST: J.D. Harmon, Paducah Tilghman; B.J. Combs, Hazard; William Bryant, Moore; Wes Kimball, Henry Clay; O'Brien Hobbs, Fern Creek; Robby Lewis, Pulaski Southwestern; Logan Baumann, Ohio County; Ryan Whetsel, Ashland; Anthony Myrks, Bardstown; DaQuan Boyd, Moore; Andrew Perito, Trinity; Mitchell Henry, Elizabethtown; Lemon Gregory, Muhlenberg County; Tate Mullins, Ryle; David Stephens, Holmes; Dylan James, Ryle.

http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/2...kings.html
Glad to see Moore, Day, Davis and Broughton all in the top 25 so it shows the mountains to have some top players worthy of Division 1.
Down and Out Wrote:Glad to see Moore, Day, Davis and Broughton all in the top 25 so it shows the mountains to have some top players worthy of Division 1.
So, if they're on this list, they're worthy of Division 1. Interesting.
Down and Out Wrote:Glad to see Moore, Day, Davis and Broughton all in the top 25 so it shows the mountains to have some top players worthy of Division 1.

I believe that's an overstatement. I've seen all of them play; they are good basketball players but I think it's a bit premature to identify them as being "Division 1" players.

You can see how tough it is to get a D-1 scholarship. Only one from the mountains in 2010 got a D-1 scholarship, and he had to be Mr. KY Basketball, and initally it was a walk-on offer until the declaration of going pro and some high ranked recruits changed their minds.

While all four will probably play at the next level; I would be very suprised if any of them went D-1. Not knocking the young men, just my honest opinion.
goodguy Wrote:I believe that's an overstatement. I've seen all of them play; they are good basketball players but I think it's a bit premature to identify them as being "Division 1" players.

You can see how tough it is to get a D-1 scholarship. Only one from the mountains in 2010 got a D-1 scholarship, and he had to be Mr. KY Basketball, and initally it was a walk-on offer until the declaration of going pro and some high ranked recruits changed their minds.

While all four will probably play at the next level; I would be very suprised if any of them went D-1. Not knocking the young men, just my honest opinion.
^^Ah, a dose of reality. Not common on message boards. Well done.:Thumbs:
Very surprised that Simon Kenton's JR Doss is not on here somewhere. He plays on the same AAU team as another player listed here and is definitely the better of the two in all aspects of the game.

I also think Ryle's Tyler Bray will be someone to watch in the next 2 years (although I hear he is transfering schools). He just won a dunk contest in Cleveland that included a dunk over 3 people in the lane and a dunk jumping over a 6'6 teammate (he is 6'3). Tremendous leaping ability for this young man. The crowd went nuts and stormed the floor after these dunks!
ryanblue1424 Wrote:The consensus No. 1 ranked player statewide in the Class of 2012 for the past few years has been Jaylen Beckham.

But Beckham recently left Lexington Catholic High School and will attend St. Benedict's Prep School in New Jersey.

So, that left the top spot open in the rankings.

But it wasn't hard to find the new No. 1 player in the '12 class - Scott County's Tamron Manning.

Manning has been sensational this spring on the AAU circuit and had a solid year - despite playing a long side three All-State performers as a sophomore with the Cardinals.

The rankings after the top spot were a lot tougher in this class than any. There are a lot of solid players but no one else has really stepped up to grab a hold of the No. 2 spot.

Here are the rankings and trust me there will be a ton of movement with these guys between now and the start of the high school season.

I have moved a lot of these around in just two weeks.

1. Tamron Manning, Scott County, 6-3 - He has the total package. There's not a lot on the court that Manning can't do. He'll lead the Cardinals next season.
2. Devon Rowan, North Oldham, 6-8 - A big bruiser who moves well on the floor. Rowan had a few monster efforts during the early spring and has a HUGE upside.
3. Charles Foster, Trinity, 6-0 - Foster is a smooth operator at the point for the Shamrocks. He's gaining confidence in his offensive game.
4. Taylor Barnette, Lexington Christian, 6-2 - No question he's the best shooter in the state. He'll play Division I basketball with that stroke.
5. Desmond Dorsey, Jeffersontown, 6-1 - Dorsey has been highly-regarded for years and is playing up to that potential this spring.
6. Isaiah Ivey, Scott County, 6-2 - Has a chance to raise the most in the rankings. He'll be a huge part of the Cardinals' plans this coming season.
7. Mike Terry, Fairview, 6-8 - Really love his all-around game. If he gets stronger and more consistent from the outside, Terry will be able to play at the Division I level.
8. Nathan Dieudonne, Trinity, 6-6 - Has a lot of skills and can jump out of the gym.
9. Mekale McKay, Moore, 6-3 - Has gone from unknown into the top 10 this spring after monster efforts at State AAU and the Derek Smith Shootout. He'll be one of the elite players in the loaded Seventh Region next season.
10. Corey Gregg, Ashland, 6-3 - Blue-collar player just gets it done.
11. Jay Johnson, Woodford County
12. B.J. Moore, Sheldon Clark
13. Jordan Brewer, LaRue County
14. Matt Day, Buckhorn
15. Jalen Wesson, Butler
16. Troy Saxton, Trinity
17. Daniel Ross, Jeffersontown
18. Zach Davis, Knott County Central
19. Max Clemons, PRP
20. Adam Wing, Rowan County
21. Jermaine Rutley, North Hardin
22. Tanner Broughton, Knox Central
23. Marcus Williams, Bryan Station
24. Andre Gray, Manual
25. Kyle Bush, Ashland

CLOSING IN ON THE LIST: J.D. Harmon, Paducah Tilghman; B.J. Combs, Hazard; William Bryant, Moore; Wes Kimball, Henry Clay; O'Brien Hobbs, Fern Creek; Robby Lewis, Pulaski Southwestern; Logan Baumann, Ohio County; Ryan Whetsel, Ashland; Anthony Myrks, Bardstown; DaQuan Boyd, Moore; Andrew Perito, Trinity; Mitchell Henry, Elizabethtown; Lemon Gregory, Muhlenberg County; Tate Mullins, Ryle; David Stephens, Holmes; Dylan James, Ryle.

http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/2...kings.html
I would just like to know where the information comes from or what information is used to create this ranked list? The problem I have with it. Is that it has the potential to give possible scouts names to look at in the recruiting game. If you are not using all the information available to rate everyone in that class in the state, then it would appear to me to be an unfair and unaccurate ranking system.
Colonels87 Wrote:I would just like to know where the information comes from or what information is used to create this ranked list? The problem I have with it. Is that it has the potential to give possible scouts names to look at in the recruiting game. If you are not using all the information available to rate everyone in that class in the state, then it would appear to me to be an unfair and unaccurate ranking system.

Coaches write-ups. These kids are not really seen and judged. HS ranking systems are purely entertainment and have zero relevance.
Well, you know the rankings are somewhat laughable when #25 didn't play varsity for Ashland while his teammate on the "watch list" has started for 2 seasons.
OU812 Wrote:Well, you know the rankings are somewhat laughable when #25 didn't play varsity for Ashland while his teammate on the "watch list" has started for 2 seasons.

That is basically my point. Maybe if Joe did a little more research he would put out a better product. It is kind of disservice to some of our athletes. Again this list has the potential to be used by scouts to see who they need to keep an eye out for or make contact with. But when the info is unreliable, maybe even the ones who deserve to get looks will not, because they can't trust the product.
NO WAY is Corey Gregg that high. He is good, I'll give him that. But 10? NO WAY. Give me Adam Wing of Rowan over him.