Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jay Cobb leaves Knott Co.
Big Tony,
I am an assistant at Bell County and love it. I wish I had been with Coach Hilton the last 20 years. Great environment, great people, and they have taken me with open arms.
LTC L
Westside Wrote:I don't know Mr. Cobb or why he left Knott Co so I'm not going to judge him but surely finding a house was not an issue . I'm sure there are houses in Hazard, Martin, Prestonsburg, etc for sale or rent. When I relocated to Paris a few years ago Coach Reese (Paris High School) spent a day with me showing me around town and found me an apartment.

Just what I heard TIFIW. Knott Co. is one the poorest counties in Kentucky. I am sure the Cobb's would be looking to get into a house in the $200-$250,000 price range, I mean it's not tough to imagine? Even when I moved to Somerset from Atlanta a few years back I had to stay with family in town for several months just to settle on a home in our price range in the county. I would have much rather lived in the city but it's hard to find the right place for the right price sometimes.
csabo17 Wrote:I agree that if it was a horrible job he should of never accepted the position. I also dont buy the excuse that he couldnt find housing. Are you serious? Theres a small college in Knott Co. I know theres all kinds of apartments and houses for rent.

I didn't say it was his excuse I said that was something that I had heard. Don't try to make it seem like I am lying about something I know to be fact, it came straight from the horse's mouth. Isn't the point of a message board to share information?
Mountain Warrior Wrote:Big Tony,
I am an assistant at Bell County and love it. I wish I had been with Coach Hilton the last 20 years. Great environment, great people, and they have taken me with open arms.
LTC L

What are your duties as Bell Co assistant? Will you be installing the Wing T?
Big Tony,
I am Coaching the Line and my duties will be whatever Coach wants me to do. No, I am not putting in the Wing-T. He has his own system that has worked successfully for many years. Most importantly, Coach knows how to deal with student/athletes. I just feel he has taken me under his wing and accepted me with open arms.
Sorry, that should have went to HAT51
Mountain Warrior Wrote:Sorry, that should have went to HAT51

That sounds great Mountain Warrior. I am glad you enjoy Bell Co.
RoShamBo Wrote:Just what I heard TIFIW. Knott Co. is one the poorest counties in Kentucky. I am sure the Cobb's would be looking to get into a house in the $200-$250,000 price range, I mean it's not tough to imagine? Even when I moved to Somerset from Atlanta a few years back I had to stay with family in town for several months just to settle on a home in our price range in the county. I would have much rather lived in the city but it's hard to find the right place for the right price sometimes.

:please: As usual someone spouting off, without knowing what they are talking about. Cobb was shown several houses in that price range.Cobb left a lot of Patriots with a bad tatse in their mouth. Committment? It starts at the top.Roshamebo have you ever visited Knott Co.? Why don't you come up and show how the rich live!:eyeroll:
Mountain Warrior made a great point about being professional in your dealings with people who have applied for jobs. I think its very important to keep all applicants informed during the hiring process, even those who you may not wish to consider. In case of a situation where someone leaves you, then you have a professional relationship with the past applicants. As it stands right now, many who did apply for the position will not have any trust in the person doing the selection, therefore you have hurt the kids and give your own school a pretty bad name. As for why Coach Cobb left, I don't really have a clue, but I do understand he was promised a great deal to come there, perhaps Knott Co. didn't follow though on its promises. I think in order to be fair, that possibility has to be looked at.
RoShamBo Wrote:I didn't say it was his excuse I said that was something that I had heard. Don't try to make it seem like I am lying about something I know to be fact, it came straight from the horse's mouth. Isn't the point of a message board to share information?

How am I calling you a liar?

You said.....
RoShamBo Wrote:I had heard that he couldn't find a house in Knott Co. That he had been looking since he took the job and was still having to commute from Somerset even this week. Not saying that this is the reason he didn't stay at Knott but it has to be frustrating. Oh well, very strange to say the least.

To which i replied that I didn't buy him not finding housing as a reason to leave the Knott position. In what way is that calling you a liar? Now if i had said I dont believe you heard he couldnt find a house in knott co. then you could of said i was calling you a liar.

You sir put it out there that you heard the reason he didnt stay at knott was simply because he couldnt find a $200,000 house. I call BS on no houses in the Knott area like that. Ever since everything in Hazard moved to Hwy 80 that stretch all the way to knott co has been popping up new gated community's with houses Mr. Cobb may of found luxurious enough for his family.

And how can you say that you heard that this was the reason but your not sure if it came "straight from the horses mouth?" In this case wouldnt the horse be Mr.Cobb? If so wouldnt you know for a fact what his reason was?
Johnny_Ringo Wrote:Well maybe that POS didnt want to come back to Knott County. Can you blame the guy, I mean really all they care about is basketball. Why not go to a smaller school with Athletes like Cambellsville and be happy. I cant blame the guy for not going to Knott Central. Knott has the potential to have a good program but I dont think Cobb wants to be a miracle worker anymore. Hes getting older and probably doesnt want as much headaches. Sabo why dont you apply for the job? You would make a good one.
Nope lol.
Enter The Dragon Wrote:If the powers that be over at KCC are actually considering giving the job to Searcy now that Cobb is gone. They might want to get rid of any equipment managers of the female persuasion before hand if you get my drift..........
Wow, lmao.
Mountain Warrior Wrote:Big Tony,
LTC L
Hope everything is going well for you :Thumbs:
Captain Crook Wrote::please: As usual someone spouting off, without knowing what they are talking about. Cobb was shown several houses in that price range.Cobb left a lot of Patriots with a bad tatse in their mouth. Committment? It starts at the top.Roshamebo have you ever visited Knott Co.? Why don't you come up and show how the rich live!:eyeroll:

Don't Roshamebo, you'll regret it man.
Aslan Wrote:Nope lol.

Wow, lmao.

Hope everything is going well for you :Thumbs:

Don't Roshamebo, you'll regret it man.

I don't know I've got some vacation days coming up maybe I should summer there. Or as easy as it is to move these days I'll just get a house down there.

And to answer your question Crook yes I've been to Knott Co. more than once in fact. Look I wasn't trying to offend anyone by putting down your town or anything, I have no problems with Knott Co aside from everything being on a hill. I was just posting some information I had gotten regarding the subject of this particular thread. I mean I have gone back and looked at my recent posts and I said nothing except to add some information to the thread.

Look csabo here is the deal, I apologize for saying you called me a liar I guess I just read a little to much into that and I was wrong and I'll admit that. Yes I did hear for a FACT that he was having trouble finding a place over there(this may have been because he already had a foot out the door but I am not going to speculate on that). I don't care if you "buy" that or not because I'm not trying to sell it. I did not say I wasn't sure if he was having trouble finding a home, I said I wasn't sure if that was the reason he left or not because obviously when I asked how the Knott County situation was going he was still coaching at Knott County. While I consider Coach Cobb a very close friend I doubt very seriously that he would tell me why he was leaving a school two weeks before he actually does it.

Someone tell me what I am doing wrong here. :igiveup:
i heard he left because he was told he could try to recruit anyone in the school to come out and play, except for the basketball players.
School Admin. Wrote:Mountain Warrior made a great point about being professional in your dealings with people who have applied for jobs. I think its very important to keep all applicants informed during the hiring process, even those who you may not wish to consider. In case of a situation where someone leaves you, then you have a professional relationship with the past applicants. As it stands right now, many who did apply for the position will not have any trust in the person doing the selection, therefore you have hurt the kids and give your own school a pretty bad name. As for why Coach Cobb left, I don't really have a clue, but I do understand he was promised a great deal to come there, perhaps Knott Co. didn't follow though on its promises. I think in order to be fair, that possibility has to be looked at.

Knott Co. stood by their committments, so don't go speculating. Cobb made his decision, KCC is moving on. And as to Mt. Warrior he was treated very PROFESSIONAL by Knott Co. administrators, his problem was being impatient.
This just seems to be a pattern with Cobb. Quits Somerset for Henderson County only to back out of that one after about a week. He quits Somerset(the 2nd time) less than 2 weeks before the season starts. Now he has left Knott Co. hanging. I think it is beyond any trouble with administration, finding a house, or any other reason. It's getting to the point Cobb can't be trusted by schools, administration, and more importantly, players.
Mountain Warrior Wrote:I am only going to say this about the KCC job. I actually applied and the AD would call and tell me they were interested but going to wait to after B'ball season. Then, I called them again after Basketball season and they told me interviews would not start for another week and I was one of 5 they were interviewing. However, they hired Cobb the next day. So, my point is that you should be always be honest and maintain integrity in all situations or it very well may come back to get you. Which, it has. Actually, it worked out great for me and I am in a great place. For the young men's sake, I hope KCC does things the right way this time.

Just practice what you are preaching.
My Dad told me this and I thought he was kidding me. I thought that Cobb had more integrity than this. The kids of Knott County deserve better than this. Cobb thinks he will go to Campbelsville and have a more competitive team but the team he has there is depleted of talent this season and he will open with Breathitt and I hope he loses by 100. I wish the best for the Campbellsville program and the kids of Knott Central who obviously got shafted.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

killerb, that is your that I was treated professional and that is fine. Yes, I can be impatient that is true. However, the fact is that I was told on the phone interviews would not start for at least another week and Cobb was hired the next day, like it or not that is not good business. Now, God was watching out for me because I am at the best place I could be under a great man and in my opinion the best football coach in Kentucky. I do wish the young me of KCC the best and I hope they take this adversity and turn it into success. If you know these young men, please let them know that the coach does not make the team because we can't play. If they will come together, work harder than they have ever worked, and believe in each other and whoever leads them; they will be okay. No hard feelings with the Administration here, God bless each of you.
Xerxes, I don't know what I've done to you. All I can say is I hope that the Good Lord will bless you and your family in all that you do and I wish you nothing but the best. Take care.
Mountain Warrior Wrote:Xerxes, I don't know what I've done to you. All I can say is I hope that the Good Lord will bless you and your family in all that you do and I wish you nothing but the best. Take care.

I don't think he was throwing a jab at you I think he was just referring to the fact that you were a coach. Like where you said the kids at Knott Co. deserve honesty and integrity, he was just saying to practice what you preach in your own situation as well. I don't see anything wrong with what you said to where anyone would have a problem with it. I agree the kids at Knott Co. did deserve better. :Thumbs:
Thank you, it very well could be miscommunication. Take care and God Bless you RoShamBo.
Maybe he realized once he got deep into eastern ky, if it isn't round and doesn't bounce, it dont matter.

Roshambo, its cool, I just wasnt calling you a liar. Im on the Cobb is a pos bandwagon now and just dont want to think something as simple as housing caused a coach to leave like that.
Mountain Warrior Wrote:killerb, that is your that I was treated professional and that is fine. Yes, I can be impatient that is true. However, the fact is that I was told on the phone interviews would not start for at least another week and Cobb was hired the next day, like it or not that is not good business. Now, God was watching out for me because I am at the best place I could be under a great man and in my opinion the best football coach in Kentucky. I do wish the young me of KCC the best and I hope they take this adversity and turn it into success. If you know these young men, please let them know that the coach does not make the team because we can't play. If they will come together, work harder than they have ever worked, and believe in each other and whoever leads them; they will be okay. No hard feelings with the Administration here, God bless each of you.

I was with the AD when he told you " We will let you know when interviews will be held." Remember? I see these KCC's players every day, and they will be fine with the new staff, they are working hard, looking forward to the season.

I hope a mod will close this thread,as it is old news!
csabo17 Wrote:Maybe he realized once he got deep into eastern ky, if it isn't round and doesn't bounce, it dont matter.

Roshambo, its cool, I just wasnt calling you a liar. Im on the Cobb is a pos bandwagon now and just dont want to think something as simple as housing caused a coach to leave like that.

No problems I definitely read to much into your post, I just felt like I was being chastised for bringing in some info on the situation. I respect your opinion of Cobb now and I'm not trying to change that opinion. I still consider him a friend but he has done some things over the past few years to make you wonder if he really has the kid's best interest in mind (with the exception of the Somerset resignation, he was definitely taking one for the team there). Honestly, I think the housing situation played a very small factor in his decision to leave Knott Co. but it was just something that his family had told me when he was still coaching there and I thought it would be useful information to the topic of this thread.

Warrior, in reply to your situation. I understand that it can be frustrating when you have your eyes set on a job then someone comes in and grabs it before you even get the opportunity, it is the story of my life as a FedEx employee. At the same time however, you have to realize that if a school like Knott has the opportunity to get a coach like Cobb they feel like they have to jump on it. He had history there, he had ties there, and he had done great things for their program in the past so I'm sure they felt like it was a no brainer at the time. Looking into their situation now, I'm sure they would probably agree that a formal interview process may have prevented some of this mess but that's life. I am glad that things worked out for you still and I wish you luck in your future as a head coach.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:My Dad told me this and I thought he was kidding me. I thought that Cobb had more integrity than this. The kids of Knott County deserve better than this. Cobb thinks he will go to Campbelsville and have a more competitive team but the team he has there is depleted of talent this season and he will open with Breathitt and I hope he loses by 100. I wish the best for the Campbellsville program and the kids of Knott Central who obviously got shafted.

So is the best thing for the Campbellsville program to get beat by 100 during their new head coach's debut? LOL :thatsfunn

Just messing with you Brahma I know your a Bobcat fan I just thought that was funny.
RoShamBo, you are right about that and it could very well have been that way. Again, I've no hard feelings because like you said it has worked out great for me. Anyway, you sound like a very good man. I agree with Killerb, what's done is done and this thread should be closed and everyone move on.
Mountain Warrior Wrote:RoShamBo, you are right about that and it could very well have been that way. Again, I've no hard feelings because like you said it has worked out great for me. Anyway, you sound like a very good man. I agree with Killerb, what's done is done and this thread should be closed and everyone move on.

I second.
RoShamBo Wrote:So is the best thing for the Campbellsville program to get beat by 100 during their new head coach's debut? LOL :thatsfunn

Just messing with you Brahma I know your a Bobcat fan I just thought that was funny.
You are correct, I spoke out of emotion and was irritated and was out of place. I am just mad that the kids got shafted in Knott County and they will not have a shot in 2010 to be a descent team and that sucks. My word to the Current Pats is to take this personally and work harder than they have ever worked and do more than the coaches ask them to do and kick *** and prove to everyone that Knott County is a place that is worth coming to and coaching! Go Pats and Eagles!
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Mountain Warrior, don't worry about it! Trust me, you are MUCH BETTER off where you are!!
We All know Cobb is gone. I wish KCC nothing but the best! I want to see that town and school sucess on the football field. Mt. Warrior glad to see you back on the sidelines as well and theres not a better place for you to be than the great Bell County, Congrats!...As for this thread its done.