Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perfect Game STOLEN in the 9th inning
Did anyone watch the Tigers-Indians game? A perfect game was stolen by an umpire!
i saw the replay of it. he was out by a step or two
You know, I am a big Indians fan, but that made me sick to my stomach. If someone finds video, please post it.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4wqCexGDjw"]YouTube- Armando Galarraga Perfect Game Lost By Awful Umpire Call (6-2-10)(With Slow Motion Replay)[/nomedia]

And they're called umpires in baseball. Not referees.:biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:

And they're called umpires in baseball. Not referees.:biggrin:

Heat of the moment. Big Grin
Sad...
The ump actually admitted he blew the call. He also said everyone was in his face arguing EXCEPT the pitcher.

DETROIT (AP)—Armando Galarraga(notes) of the Detroit Tigers lost his bid for a perfect game Wednesday night with two outs in the ninth inning on a call that first base umpire Jim Joyce later admitted he blew.

Joyce faced a group of hostile Tigers—led by Leyland—between the pitching mound and home plate after the final out and was booed lustily by the crowd of 17,738 as he walked off the field.

“I don’t blame them a bit or anything that was said,” Joyce said. “I would’ve said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would’ve been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me.”
I personally dont know what he was thinking. I know you cant just give the guy the call, but with 2 outs in the 9th facing a perfect game, the runner better be there by a step or more for me to give the safe call.
Does anyone know if MLB can overturn the call and post-game award him the perfect game?
Also thread tittle should be changed to PERFECT game instead of no hitter.
lwc Wrote:Does anyone know if MLB can overturn the call and post-game award him the perfect game?

I seriously doubt it. I mean they can do whatever they want, but there opening up a huge can of worms if they do this. They would be expected to make changes to calls in other situations. If replay was available in the MLB I could see a turnover after the call. But to me thats part of baseball having someone making judgment calls. I personally wouldnt wanna see replay in baseball.
lwc Wrote:Does anyone know if MLB can overturn the call and post-game award him the perfect game?

I'm pretty sure they can. I remember when CC Sabathia played for the Brewer's he had a controversial call that cost him a no-no and the MLB reviewed the play but upheld the call. I would say if they had intentions of changing it then they probably will change this one.
Wow, just wow!

I expect those types of calls in little league or high school, but not in the majors.
he had the PERFECT game by 1 and a half steps atleast!!!!!!!
Wow. Lol. Crazy.
dblg11 Wrote:I'm pretty sure they can. I remember when CC Sabathia played for the Brewer's he had a controversial call that cost him a no-no and the MLB reviewed the play but upheld the call. I would say if they had intentions of changing it then they probably will change this one.

Upheld is the key word. MLB will review, but they wil NEVER change a call. If they would change calls, they would have changed the A-Rod home run that the fan interefered with. Where would you draw the line if you went back and made one changed call after the fact? Would you start going back to all of the no hitters or perfect games of recent history and overturn them? Granted, last night was agregious, but you cannot overturn them under the current guidelines. Make changes in the rules that affects the future, but you can't go back and change this one call. If so, then you have to be open to every other call that "should" have been changed.
As terrible as the call was, and as terrible as it was for Gallaraga, at least Joyce manned up and admitted he blew the call. I liked that, and I especially liked that Gallaraga just smiled and went about his business. That was one of the best displays of class Ive seen from a player in a long time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ ditto
TidesHoss32 Wrote:As terrible as the call was, and as terrible as it was for Gallaraga, at least Joyce manned up and admitted he blew the call. I liked that, and I especially liked that Gallaraga just smiled and went about his business. That was one of the best displays of class Ive seen from a player in a long time.

:Thumbs:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:As terrible as the call was, and as terrible as it was for Gallaraga, at least Joyce manned up and admitted he blew the call. I liked that, and I especially liked that Gallaraga just smiled and went about his business. That was one of the best displays of class Ive seen from a player in a long time.

:Thumbs:
Gallaraga is one of the MOST classy players that I have ever seen! Joyce admitted that he blew it and Gallaraga doesn't hold a grudge. The scene tonight at home plate was one of the classiest moments that I have ever witnessed in sports! Should we have instant replay in MLB....I am on the fence on this one. I see the pros and cons. But, people this is why I really love and hate the game of baseball. Being an Umpire to me is one of the hardest jobs on the planet. BUT, as far as I am concerned....Gallaraga, just became one of my favorite players.....just because of the class he showed in this whole situation! God Bless that kid! He truly deserves it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
After seeing an interview with the umpire, you know good and well he sould have made the call as an out. For the simple reason it had important significants to the game as far as history is concerned and that should have been a no brainer to call him even if it was any where close. That young man deserved that call to be in his favor.
I think this will make Gallarage more of a trivia questions, thus more famous because of this, than if he had become the 21st pitcher to pitch a perfect game. He will now be remembered FOREVER as the guy who was cheated out of rightfully having a perfect game. I see this ultimately going in his favor in the long run.
Only the Home Plate Umpire can change the call,but has to be done before the next pitch.So I think the HP Umpire blew it too.
No ump in there right mind would ever over rule a call at first there.