Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible opening season tournament next year
We have been talking the last couple of days about possible having a 16 team tournament next season at Mullins. Of course, we are only working through the ideas at this moment. The tournament would be for A teams only, with the first round being played on Dec. 4, the second rounds on 5 & 6, the final four on the 7 and the finals on the 8. We are wanting the best of the best from our local counties...Floyd, Johnson, Knott, Letcher, Magoffin, Martin, Perry and Pike. We have a name already decided but I do not wish to post it on here at this time so no one can steal the idea.

Coach Kidd and myself have talked, and for interest of competition and teams playing...we would try to avoid letting same County teams play until the final four.

I am just curious though what teams would be interested if we did play this tournament.
Johns Creek is.
We would be interested.
the Shag is normally played around this time, first second week of dec.
SF might be interested. How many games can you guarantee?
These are the major points me and Coach Kidd have talked about for this tournament...

***We want at least one team from each of the following counties and no more then four from any county...Pike, Floyd, Maggoffin, Johnson, Martin, Knott, Letcher & Perry County.

***We have talked about pushing the tournament up some into the month of November so weather will not be as big of a issue, but we also want it to be a season opening tournament.

***It will be a single elimination tournament, call it a grade school mountain sweet 16 sort to speak.

***We will draw teams into there spots, but will reorder teams only to make sure no same county teams will play in the first two rounds.

***All 15 games will be held at Mullins, with the 8 first round games all being played on a Saturday. The second round games will be held on Monday and Tuesday night. We will give Wednesday off for church with the final four being played on Thursday and the championship on Friday.

***We have talked about, but have not fully decided on not only awarding a first place and runner up trophy, but also naming the 10 best performers in this tournament to a All Tournament team along with a MVP. No team's finishing place in the tournament will assure a certain amount of members, but the 10 best performers for this tournament will be rewarded whether they play one game or 4.

Anyone else has any other questions, please ask them and I will happily answer them the best I can.
Let me also add...teams that we really want to be a part of this are...

Johnson County
Paintsville
Maggoffin County
Martin County
Betsy Layne
Johns Creek
Virgie
June Buchanan or Hindman
Cowan, Martha Jane Potter or Whitesburg
Hazard
AB Combs

We would like a total of four Pike County teams, and at least two Floyd County teams, three maybe! I'm not sure what the talent level in Knott and Letcher County will be next year, but we will be more then happy to add multiple teams from those counties and any other county as well.

As I have said before, we want what we know will be the best of the best from the mountains. So any coaches opinions about who should be invited would be helpful, in case we have forgotten someone or do not know of someone who will be very talented next year.