Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy Layne 64 - Paintsville 59
Final from Paintsville.
Tough loss for the boys this has been a bad stretch for them. Hopefully we can pick it up friday.
Did Tiller play tonight?

Hopefully he will be back by Friday for sure.
Good win for the Bobcats.
Baseball Man Wrote:Did Tiller play tonight?

Hopefully he will be back by Friday for sure.

Neither Tiller or Spencer played. Hopefully they both will be back soon. We can use a some needed offense and ball handling.
looserville Wrote:Neither Tiller or Spencer played. Hopefully they both will be back soon. We can use a some needed offense and ball handling.

Shey will be back by friday. Tiller will not.
Congrats BL :Thumbs:
Paintsville puts up a good fight with two starters out against one of the better teams in the 58th.
Great win for the Bobcats!!! Paintsville will begin to bounce back here in a season or two. Still a real close one for Tigers. Sometimes the losses just come in bunches, and you can grow from them. With that young of a team I say that these close games are starting to benefit the Tigers.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Great win for the Bobcats!!! Paintsville will begin to bounce back here in a season or two. Still a real close one for Tigers. Sometimes the losses just come in bunches, and you can grow from them. With that young of a team I say that these close games are starting to benefit the Tigers.

We will make another run within the next 40 or so years. The only problem is losing the tradition that is tiger basketball.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:We will make another run within the next 40 or so years. The only problem is losing the tradition that is tiger basketball.

First Football then Basketball , I don't think the trend will follow baseball. At any rate all this should hurt a true Blue Tiger fan. Somehow the system needs to pick up the ball and run. It surely has been dropped.
First off you have to understand that contrary to popular belief Paintsville was never very strong in basketball until the late 80's. They did have a tremendous run for a few years, but they were never what you would consider a basketball school. But to their credit when they made a run, they really made a run. Not saying that they will never be good again, but this whole tradition thing is way way overblown. It just never was so, minus those incredible run era years.
I will have to disagree with you Kimball. I believe the first big run to the state tournament was in 85.....that was 25 years ago. I think a traditional can be built in that length of time. 25 years, 8 trips the the state tournament sounds like a tradition to me.

I realize that 25 years out of the entire life of the school isn't but about 1/4 of the total history of the school system, but even then I bet it would be hard to find 15 other school systems that have made 8 trips to the state tournament in their school history.
Youngerthandirt Wrote:I will have to disagree with you Kimball. I believe the first big run to the state tournament was in 85.....that was 25 years ago. I think a traditional can be built in that length of time. 25 years, 8 trips the the state tournament sounds like a tradition to me.

I realize that 25 years out of the entire life of the school isn't but about 1/4 of the total history of the school system, but even then I bet it would be hard to find 15 other school systems that have made 8 trips to the state tournament in their school history.

I agree with you younger than but I am older than. I remember several 50/60era teams at PHS that were real nice teams. With reguard to tradition, in that day it was pride with a premium level of play. Several extremely traditional teams around Meade,Paintsville, Flat Gap, Oil Springs and of cource I believe the 1965 Van Lear. That was Tradition. I hate to sound like an old broken record but a State Championship along with everything else sure smells like Tradition.What is Tradition anyway? Heck I don't know. There is barely double digit wins between both schools in the county. Now that does not have the air of Tradition.
Tradition has lots of meanings...usually people consider winning a tradition, but I think it more of a "fan support, community support" situation. I think you can have tradition and never go to a State Tournament. Tradition can mean grandfathers, fathers and sons playing for a certain team......it's a family tradition. It could be little boys growing up in a town or community (county) and being excited about getting to play for the local HS someday. Tradition can mean a lot of different things, put pride and spirit has to be part of it in my opinion also.
"TRADITION". In 1937 Van Lear Kentucky had a high football team comprised of 13 football players not a daddy baller in the bunch. By the way no political appointee on the team as well. There was no daddy at practice screamin for playing time for the kid. The reason why was that daddy was under the ground loading coal by hand ,sometimes recieving .50 cents a ton for his work.The coach was from Winston Salem N.C. and probably nobody could pronounce his name. On game day they came ,they all came.The coal camp emptied to attend the gathering. Everyone was proud of the team although not many knew anything about football. And guess what folks they won. Most of all the community had one spirit. I was lucky enough to have known one of the 13 players and he was proud to be a Bankmule. This might just be the "TRADITION" of which we speak.
Must have been a good effort by Paintsville... without a couple of good players.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:First off you have to understand that contrary to popular belief Paintsville was never very strong in basketball until the late 80's. They did have a tremendous run for a few years, but they were never what you would consider a basketball school. But to their credit when they made a run, they really made a run. Not saying that they will never be good again, but this whole tradition thing is way way overblown. It just never was so, minus those incredible run era years.

I know what your saying....I overheard someone state the same thing about JC football...:eyeroll:
Now What Wrote:I know what your saying....I overheard someone state the same thing about JC football...:eyeroll:

Yes, and they would have been correct as well.

That make you feel better?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Yes, and they would have been correct as well.

That make you feel better?

No not really...lol...but I would consider Paintsville a school with basketball tradition....
4th In all-time wins
2 - Mr. Basketball
1 - coach 25 years = 530 wins
1 - State championship
not to mention how many dist. and reg. titles (state Runner-up 98) ....that might just be a start on tradition....:popcorn:
what a game. congrats BOBCATS:Thumbs: