Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Hires Chris McNamee
buster Wrote:with CLASS

I couldnt agree more.
joe vanhoose Wrote:Coach Mac is the most positive person you will ever meet. Everytime when I've heard him speak to a kid he spoke with the most kind and uplifting words. With his passion for the game and his positive words, he will be able to get things out of kids that others would never. My kid will be on this team and he is very excited that Coach Mac will be in charge. I have been around alot of Pikeville's next year players and everyone of them are so thankful that Coach Mac will be the man. Sometimes when you don't have a huge selection of players to choose from like the surrounding 2-3-and 4 A schools that have large numbers, you have to play from within the heart, and with the backing of a man like Coach Mac, it can happen. So lets show support and help our new coach lift this team up, because the kids see what we post daily, and we need to let them know that everthing in the past is the past, and thier future is wide open because they have a new start.

Great post!:Thumbs:
central fan Wrote:Great post!:Thumbs:

Very well said.
Hustle Wrote:It's funny how things come full circle!

Pikeville's best football days are in the past. They will always handle their district, I mean Betsy Layne, Allen Central, South Floyd, Phelps, and Paintsville will never be competitive in any district. The Panthers will always win a few games in the playoffs. They will run into Hazard and baby Olinger for the next 3 years. Fortunately for the Panthers, with their upcoming Junior class, it will be the best they have to offer for the next decade or so.

You always hear the same thing when McNamee's name comes up, "great guy, but............! It sure looked bad on him after the first year Chapman put in at Pike Central. Its completely different with Chapman it seems like you always hear the same thing, "he's an ...hole, but a great coach."

You make a good point, but the difference in McNamee's and Chapman's tenures @ Central is support from the district itself. Chapman's only focus is football and PE classes with his players, yet McNamee had regular PE claases, along with ISS and covering other classes during his planning period. Alot easier to coach and prepare for game day when you have the time to put into it during the school day...

To be positive--I am so happy for Mac! Thank God for coaches who not only want to win, but care about the lives of their players as well and want to be a good example for them!
roundball gal Wrote:You make a good point, but the difference in McNamee's and Chapman's tenures @ Central is support from the district itself. Chapman's only focus is football and PE classes with his players, yet McNamee had regular PE claases, along with ISS and covering other classes during his planning period. Alot easier to coach and prepare for game day when you have the time to put into it during the school day...

To be positive--I am so happy for Mac! Thank God for coaches who not only want to win, but care about the lives of their players as well and want to be a good example for them!

From what I understand, when Mac was at Pikeville before, the reason he left or the reason he was forced out was because he wanted more freedom for football. He ended up at Pike Central because he could have more freedom to do just football. At least that was the story coming out of Pikeville a few years back.
Don't get me wrong, I think Mac is great for kids. It's just odd that Pike Central gets the caliber of coach that Chapman is and Pikeville selects a coach that was fired from Pike Central because he wasn't getting the job done. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. It just seems like PC's football program just made a huge leap foward and Pikeville's is................, well where it is now compared to years back!
Hustle Wrote:From what I understand, when Mac was at Pikeville before, the reason he left or the reason he was forced out was because he wanted more freedom for football. He ended up at Pike Central because he could have more freedom to do just football. At least that was the story coming out of Pikeville a few years back.
Don't get me wrong, I think Mac is great for kids. It's just odd that Pike Central gets the caliber of coach that Chapman is and Pikeville selects a coach that was fired from Pike Central because he wasn't getting the job done. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. It just seems like PC's football program just made a huge leap foward and Pikeville's is................, well where it is now compared to years back!

Be patient.
Who is Mcnamee gonna have on his staff? any news?
Good hire for Pikeville. Good Luck Mac!!!!
allseasonfan Wrote:Who is Mcnamee gonna have on his staff? any news?

Havent heard anything def. yet.
My son plays at PC, and respects Coach Mac, and loved to play for him, but IMO, Different schools need to have different personalities to inspire the players to reach their potential. Coach Mac leads with kindness, and wants the player to respond from with-in, and Coach Chapman leads with aggressive physical attack and inspires the player to go beyond their expected level of aggressive behavior....End result..... Possible Championship for region? Only time will tell? You have to introduce winning to a kid for him to really believe it can be accomplished...With Pikeville....Coach Mac can reflect on the 80's and 90's to inspire his young Pikeville team...At PC, a taste of winning from last year....The "Hawks" can taste "Blood" and that my friend is a dangerous mix for the Chapman team to enter the 2010 season with!

Good Catch Pikeville, Coach Mac is a really nice guy, and he will serve you well!
I must have missed something here. Didn't know this thread was about comparing coaches. Don't even know how coach chapman or any other coach got in the mix. Wish him & all other mtn. coaches good luck next season , but this thread is about Coach Chris McNamee,or so i thought.
Big Five-0- Wrote:I must have missed something here. Didn't know this thread was about comparing coaches. Don't even know how coach chapman or any other coach got in the mix. Wish him & all other mtn. coaches good luck next season , but this thread is about Coach Chris McNamee,or so i thought.

The thread title, "Pikeville hires Chris MacNamee," opens up any discussion about Coach Mac. Discussions can go anywhere, whether it's about the quality of his coaching, comparing him to other coaches, or if it was the right choice of a coach for Pikeville. Some may compare their coach to him, and it's completely fair to compare Coach Chapman at PC with Coach Mac. Coach Chapman even coached at Pikeville for a short time.
Hustle Wrote:The thread title, "Pikeville hires Chris MacNamee," opens up any discussion about Coach Mac. Discussions can go anywhere, whether it's about the quality of his coaching, comparing him to other coaches, or if it was the right choice of a coach for Pikeville. Some may compare their coach to him, and it's completely fair to compare Coach Chapman at PC with Coach Mac. Coach Chapman even coached at Pikeville for a short time.

Yeah, i know. I was there for the press conference.
Big Five-O-,

As stated by Charlie "Hustle" it is very fair to compare coaches when a topic is started as a result of a local school hiring a new coach. The two coaches in question in my post have coached both schools in question, and is fair to compare styles that fit the school they are with at this time...How do you not see the reason for the comparing of these two coaches?

Nothing was stated against Coach Mac as not being a good coach, just that he will fit in good at his new job... If I had to choose between the past coach at Pikeville, and Coach Mac....Hands down..."COACH MAC"!
PC (9-2) 2009 Wrote:Big Five-O-,

As stated by Charlie "Hustle" it is very fair to compare coaches when a topic is started as a result of a local school hiring a new coach. The two coaches in question in my post have coached both schools in question, and is fair to compare styles that fit the school they are with at this time...How do you not see the reason for the comparing of these two coaches?

Nothing was stated against Coach Mac as not being a good coach, just that he will fit in good at his new job... If I had to choose between the past coach at Pikeville, and Coach Mac....Hands down..."COACH MAC"!

I agree that Coach Mac is the right fit for Pikeville . Should have never left in the first place,imo. Also agree with a previous post by ''Buster'', nice guys finish with CLASS. " COACH MAC "!:Thumbs:
A lot of the problem right now is Pikeville doesn't have the size and athleticism it used to. Coach Mac is a very good football mind, and I understand people really like to play for him. The talent pool in the elementary has potential to be very good. They just need to dedicate themselves. Pikeville can compete in Class A, but it will require stability and great effort by the coaches and community to do so.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Yeah, i know. I was there for the press conference.

And........:Cheerlead
Hustle Wrote:And........:Cheerlead

Was just trying to tell you i knew Coach Chapman coached there.
Does everyone truly believe Mac is the answer?

I hope they do!
Panther Thunder Wrote:A lot of the problem right now is Pikeville doesn't have the size and athleticism it used to. Coach Mac is a very good football mind, and I understand people really like to play for him. The talent pool in the elementary has potential to be very good. They just need to dedicate themselves. Pikeville can compete in Class A, but it will require stability and great effort by the coaches and community to do so.

Agree. Stability,dedication, & community support are def. factors for success with any program, and will be needed here for sure.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Agree. Stability,dedication, & community support are def. factors for success with any program, and will be needed here for sure.

yeah! The administration, along with some internal ulterior motives (some coaches influencing young athletes not to play football), is the "achilis heel" here!
Hustle Wrote:yeah! The administration, along with some internal ulterior motives (some coaches influencing young athletes not to play football), is the "achilis heel" here!

Well, iv'e got to agree with you on this one. It IS a problem here.
I played for Mac at PCC. Chris is a great person and was a great player. BUT....he isn't a coach. I am sorry folks...He ran into the mommy and daddy games at Central and barely came up with 4-6 wins. He ran the same offense (Wing-T) and showcased one running back (No Names) and got killed. Then he went to Pikeville and he got ran out because of the fact Belfry handed his a%& not only at Central but, at Pikeville as well. Chirs would be a good DB coach at best. People that supports schools like Pikeville does want to see W's not L's. Pikeville needs to rebuild from the ground up, get a coach in there that won't play the mommy and daddy games. Take PCC for example they finally got a coach that got some balls about him and look what he done at PCC. I agree with the poster about rebuilding a program of the future and quite trying to rebuild what Hillard did in the late 80's and early 90's. Great history but, that shouldn't be a "point of focus" It is what it is....HISTORY.
Will McNamee install the wing-T at Pikeville? Does anyone have details from spring practice if it has started?
Hustle Wrote:You can question my knowledge all you want, that's your right. Nowhere in my post did I mention anything you said. Obviously you're just a little paranoid about what you said and think everyone's out to get you.

By the time Williams gets through with everything, those athletes that the Panthers depend on right now, won't be playing anything but basketball. Trust me, there's several key kids in their youth football program that will never step foot on the field come Friday night. I do agree, and I said that the Panthers will be good the next two years, then.....well you'll see. Mac got ran out the first time because of lack of interest for the entire program, besides Pikeville athletics compete amongst themselves so much, that other schools don't even worry about Pikeville anymore. Besides that, any kid that wants to excel at football will either go 1 mile East or 20 miles East.

Now you can try and argue with what I've said all you want, but you know it's the truth, but you would never admit it. That's the biggest problem at Pikeville right now, everybody wants to turn their heads and act like everything is just great, while they should be admitting there is something going on at Pikeville that's never went on before with their athletics, they're not competing in any sport at the levels of old! Now you can try to put a spin on what I've said if you want, but you know it's the truth. Just ask any of the older alumni from the 80's and 90's, they'll tell you the same thing! They all say, "it wasn't like this when we played."
While I agree with the statement about B-ball. You also must take into consideration that those people who have tried so hard to turn PHS into "North Valley" have had their credibility shot to pieces because the B-Ball team cant even get out of a 3 team district. The kids arent stupid they see whats going on. And you are right. It wasnt like this when I played down here. Back then all sports shared athletes and...Surprise Surprise!....All sports were competitive! Maybe those folks involved in this mess with the B-Ball team need to look at the '99 15th region champs picture up in the gym. If they look closely they would see 8 out of the 12 kids on that team were football players.

On to the whole Chapman vs. Mac thing. Your statement about Mac is the same that could be said about Chapman "Great Coach, but......". I know the whole situation involving Chapman at Pikeville was blown WAY out of proportion. But the guy just quit on his team in the middle of the year because he didnt get his way. Do the folks at PC honestly think hes going to retire over there? His son is still at Breathitt and when Holcomb calls it quits over there Chapman will be gone.

Mac didnt leave Pikeville voluntarily contrary to what youve heard. He was forced out behind the scenes by a booster whose wife was childhood friends with Mike Jackson and they wanted Jackson to coach their kid.

There are some problems with the sports programs at Pikeville but IMO we have a football coach who bleeds maroon and wants to see this program regain its significance again. Which, IMO, is why he accpted the job. But a coach is only part of the solution. The rest needs to be answered when the next school board elections are held.