Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rowan County 53 East Carter 44
Final from Morehead. Good win for the Lady Vikings. 45 to 44 East did not score last 2 min. Rowan hit FT's down at the wire.
very nice win likely the preview for the region finals congra to rowan on a big win
Rowan up 10 in the first and 10 in the second. Were up 12 with 1:10 to go in the 3rd and a player gets a T. East goes on a 8-0 run, but RC's Kissinger put them on her back. 26 and 7, with 4 steals. RC's D was the difference; East had 23 TO's. Don't think East ever led.
Good win for Rowan.
Congrats RC
Looks like rowan is the team to beat in the 16th....for now anyway
Skip Pass Wrote:Looks like rowan is the team to beat in the 16th....for now anyway

:Thumbs:

The 16th is SOO unpredicatable!
lwc Wrote::Thumbs:

The 16th is SOO unpredicatable!

Couldn't have said it better myself, friend. If any team feels they have a lock on the 16th, they may be setting themselves up for a horrible letdown.
IMO Rowan County is the best team in the 16th. I really dont belive that the regional title will be theirs again for the 3rd straight season.

They have beaten East Carter, Ashland and West Carter. Their only loss in the region came in the EKC against East. Rowan was also missing multiple two starters ( Muncy and Kiser). Rowan beat West by 40, then beat them again at home a week later while even missing 3 starters. (Muncy, Neely and Kiser). It just seems like Rowan is healthy now, and is taking care of business at the right time of year.
Wrong again!! Muncy was the only starter that didn't play against East, everyone else played. Those 3 teams are pretty even, I wouldn't be counting on anything yet when it comes to the post season. Especially when the only region team that has beaten Rowan the last 2 years is East and they came within probably 1 made shot of doing it again last night!!
Rowan Co. beat Ashland by 2 at home.
Rowan will be pllaying in Diddle Arena come March.
Coachinthestands Wrote:Wrong again!! Muncy was the only starter that didn't play against East, everyone else played. Those 3 teams are pretty even, I wouldn't be counting on anything yet when it comes to the post season. Especially when the only region team that has beaten Rowan the last 2 years is East and they came within probably 1 made shot of doing it again last night!!

What are you talking about "wrong again". Your'e a new member with 6 post. East Carter trailed every min of the game last night, so did Ashland at Rowan, So did West Carter both times.

If youre looking into the fact that East Carter has beaten Rowan County in the regular season.

Ill leave you to think about this. Since 2004, The Only school to get to Bowling Green besides Rowan County were the Rose Hill All star teams. RC has owned the 16th for several years now.
What most of you fail to realize is that RC had both Ashland and East down by 14 points late in the game. FT's let Ashland back in the game- 1/7 in the 4th quarter, with 2 missed front ends. That seems to be rectified, with 20/27 last night, according to the Daily Independent. Last night RC was up 12 or 14 with the ball when the technical happened. Rowan weathered the storm and arguably the best player in the region did what great players do...carried her team. The point of all this is that Rowan didn't have a great deal of experience coming into the season. Only Muncy and Kissinger played big minutes last year. Guard play of both East and Ashland got exposed by Rowan's pressure. Both teams had 23-25 TO's. So until those teams learn to deal with being trapped, Rowan will be effective against them. I also believe the weak schedules of Ashland and East prevent them from being prepared for that pressure come March. JMO.
Steve Kuberski Wrote:Rowan Co. beat Ashland by 2 at home.

West beat Ashland at Ashland by 8.
Coachinthestands Wrote:Wrong again!! Muncy was the only starter that didn't play against East, everyone else played. Those 3 teams are pretty even, I wouldn't be counting on anything yet when it comes to the post season. Especially when the only region team that has beaten Rowan the last 2 years is East and they came within probably 1 made shot of doing it again last night!!

Technically you are correct. However, Kiser only played 6 minutes. RC started 2 sophomores in their place. And, I have yet to see a 9 point shot!

One could argue that RC was one or two made shots of blowing East out by 20 last night too.
The number of my posts has nothing to do with you being wrong which you obviously are!

AND Rowan and East both have been good the last few years, Rowan has won the REGION while East has not, you are correct. East was ALSO good when Rowan was having below .500 records and they will again. I also believe that during the years Troy Lee was at Rowan that East beat them 3 out of 4!
The Iceboxx Wrote:What are you talking about "wrong again". Your'e a new member with 6 post. East Carter trailed every min of the game last night, so did Ashland at Rowan, So did West Carter both times.

If youre looking into the fact that East Carter has beaten Rowan County in the regular season.

Ill leave you to think about this. Since 2004, The Only school to get to Bowling Green besides Rowan County were the Rose Hill All star teams. RC has owned the 16th for several years now.

HD28 Wrote:What most of you fail to realize is that RC had both Ashland and East down by 14 points late in the game. FT's let Ashland back in the game- 1/7 in the 4th quarter, with 2 missed front ends. That seems to be rectified, with 20/27 last night, according to the Daily Independent. Last night RC was up 12 or 14 with the ball when the technical happened.

Rowan weathered the storm and arguably the best player in the region did what great players do...carried her team. The point of all this is that Rowan didn't have a great deal of experience coming into the season. Only Muncy and Kissinger played big minutes last year. Guard play of both East and Ashland got exposed by Rowan's pressure. Both teams had 23-25 TO's. So until those teams learn to deal with being trapped, Rowan will be effective against them. I also believe the weak schedules of Ashland and East prevent them from being prepared for that pressure come March. JMO.

You guys go to the game?? Rowan had East down 14 in the 3RD QUARTER, NOT late in the game, it was 41-38 STARTING the 4th quarter and was still 5 with 30 sec. left I believe
HD28 Wrote:Technically you are correct. However, Kiser only played 6 minutes. RC started 2 sophomores in their place. And, I have yet to see a 9 point shot!

One could argue that RC was one or two made shots of blowing East out by 20 last night too.

You don't need a 9 pt. shot when you're down 1 with 2:00 to go!!! You guys watch the game??? If East makes that shot I honestly believe they beat Rowan AGAIN last night!! Nobody on here is selling Rowan short but you don't need to be selling East short either, BOTH are really good teams!
HD28 Wrote:Technically you are correct. However, Kiser only played 6 minutes. RC started 2 sophomores in their place. And, I have yet to see a 9 point shot!

I seriously doubt there was anybody that knows anything about basketball that was at the game last night that would agree with the second part of this post!!!
Anyone who watches any kind of high school basketball knows that fouling at the end of a game (leading to free throws) can make the final score very deceiving. Regarding the inability of some players to play certain games whether it be for injury, foul trouble, etc... this is not an excuse for a team winning or losing. Its just part of the game. If all of East's, Ashland's, and Rowan's players (and now West should probably be mentioned in this discussion) were all 100% and not susceptible to fouling out I don't think any one team would dominate the other.

Also the "we were up by...." comment doesn't hold much water with me either. A dominant team doesn't just create a good lead, it protects it. As an example, one post mentions that Rowan was up by 14 to Ashland late in the game and only won by 2. A person could just as easily commend the ability and mental toughness for Ashland to come back and say that the "wheels" were starting to come off for Rowan. Of course, an arguement could just as easily be made praising the ability of Rowan to get such a lead to begin with.

What do I learn from this - most fans are going to spin their version of the truth to best promote their team. IMO there are no dominant teams in the 16th region this year. A lucky bounce of the ball may very well decide the regional champion. What I do know is that this could be a very interesting regional tournament.
Skip Pass Wrote:Anyone who watches any kind of high school basketball knows that fouling at the end of a game (leading to free throws) can make the final score very deceiving. Regarding the inability of some players to play certain games whether it be for injury, foul trouble, etc... this is not an excuse for a team winning or losing. Its just part of the game. If all of East's, Ashland's, and Rowan's players (and now West should probably be mentioned in this discussion) were all 100% and not susceptible to fouling out I don't think any one team would dominate the other.

Also the "we were up by...." comment doesn't hold much water with me either. A dominant team doesn't just create a good lead, it protects it. As an example, one post mentions that Rowan was up by 14 to Ashland late in the game and only won by 2. A person could just as easily commend the ability and mental toughness for Ashland to come back and say that the "wheels" were starting to come off for Rowan. Of course, an arguement could just as easily be made praising the ability of Rowan to get such a lead to begin with.

What do I learn from this - most fans are going to spin their version of the truth to best promote their team. IMO there are no dominant teams in the 16th region this year. A lucky bounce of the ball may very well decide the regional champion. What I do know is that this could be a very interesting regional tournament.

Excellent and intelligent post!!
If it can be argued that East was one shot away from winning it then it can be argued that Rowan could have been one possession or two away from blowing it wide open. Rowan was up 12 or 14 when the technical foul happened, with the ball. If Rowan scores and gets a stop, then it could be argued that game is over right there.

I agree that East, Ashland, And Rowan are very even. I am from Montgomery County and the only quality 16th region basketball I get to watch is at Rowan, because of the people they play, Ashland and East included. But it seems as if for the last 2-3 years many posters have refused to give Rowan credit for being what they have been, which ispretty dominant.
HD28 Wrote:If it can be argued that East was one shot away from winning it then it can be argued that Rowan could have been one possession or two away from blowing it wide open. Rowan was up 12 or 14 when the technical foul happened, with the ball. If Rowan scores and gets a stop, then it could be argued that game is over right there.

I agree that East, Ashland, And Rowan are very even. I am from Montgomery County and the only quality 16th region basketball I get to watch is at Rowan, because of the people they play, Ashland and East included. But it seems as if for the last 2-3 years many posters have refused to give Rowan credit for being what they have been, which ispretty dominant.

As I said in an earlier post, nobody is selling Rowan short, they have been very good, dominant??? Yes, they have won 2 straight region titles, very impressive, but East has beaten them twice during that span and I don't think people on here want to give East credit for being pretty good during that time also, I have been giving Rowan credit.

As for the first part of your post, like I said before, I don't think anyone that was at the game and knows anything about basketball felt like that was about to happen, but you could feel that if East had made that shot and took the lead Rowan was in trouble. I have been to every East game this year except 2 and the only game they didn't have a chance to win in the last 2 minutes was the Bryan Station game.
I would say 42-2 vs. 16th region competition, 69-15 overall, in 2.5 years would be considered dominant, when back to back regional championships are factored in. Granted, the 2 are against East at East, by an average margin of 3.5 points. Rowan has beaten East 4 times during that span, 2 in Morehead, 2 at neutral sites, by an average of just over 20 points per game. When you consider that East lost in the first round last year (to Rowan) and didn't make the tournament the previous year, I would consider Rowan's 2.5 year run to this point pretty dominant. That's not even considering the out of region wins like Manual, Boone County, Lafayette, Notre Dame, etc. East, Rowan, and Ashland all have good programs, and any can win it this year. But for you to say that the past three years have been remotely close to level of Rowan is not completely accurate.
I agree that Rowan has been the team to beat the last 3 years. They won the last 2 regionals and are positioning themselves to possibly win a third. But, speaking as an Ashland fan, I wouldn't say that Rowan was a dominant team over Ashland 2 years ago (Tackett's 1st year as Rowan coach). Yes, Rowan did beat Ashland in the Regional final by 2 points (the only time they played each other that season) so I have to say that Rowan was the best team on that night. But a dominant team, I don't know about that....

One final thought - I think most people do give Rowan credit for their past success -- I know that I do. However many fans, regardless of the team, don't ever feel like their team gets enough accolades. They seem to feel slighted if any one else feels that another team could be close to their level of performance. (and I'm not just talking about Rowan fans here)

Like this year, I still believe Ashalnd, Rowan, and East will be the teams to beat come tourney time. Would I bet the farm that one of these teams will end up at Diddle - yes, I probably would. Would I place it all on any one of these teams - no way!!!!!!
Skip Pass Wrote:I agree that Rowan has been the team to beat the last 3 years. They won the last 2 regionals and are positioning themselves to possibly win a third. But, speaking as an Ashland fan, I wouldn't say that Rowan was a dominant team over Ashland 2 years ago (Tackett's 1st year as Rowan coach). Yes, Rowan did beat Ashland in the Regional final by 2 points (the only time they played each other that season) so I have to say that Rowan was the best team on that night. But a dominant team, I don't know about that....

One final thought - I think most people do give Rowan credit for their past success -- I know that I do. However many fans, regardless of the team, don't ever feel like their team gets enough accolades. They seem to feel slighted if any one else feels that another team could be close to their level of performance. (and I'm not just talking about Rowan fans here)

Like this year, I still believe Ashalnd, Rowan, and East will be the teams to beat come tourney time. Would I bet the farm that one of these teams will end up at Diddle - yes, I probably would. Would I place it all on any one of these teams - no way!!!!!!

Well said!!!
HD28 Wrote:I would say 42-2 vs. 16th region competition, 69-15 overall, in 2.5 years would be considered dominant, when back to back regional championships are factored in. Granted, the 2 are against East at East, by an average margin of 3.5 points. Rowan has beaten East 4 times during that span, 2 in Morehead, 2 at neutral sites, by an average of just over 20 points per game. When you consider that East lost in the first round last year (to Rowan) and didn't make the tournament the previous year, I would consider Rowan's 2.5 year run to this point pretty dominant. That's not even considering the out of region wins like Manual, Boone County, Lafayette, Notre Dame, etc. East, Rowan, and Ashland all have good programs, and any can win it this year. But for you to say that the past three years have been remotely close to level of Rowan is not completely accurate.

So are you saying that Rowan has been dominant over the entire region during last 6 years, 3 years, everybody else excluding East?? Make up your mind. 4-2 vs. East I don't think makes them dominant over East during that span, 2 regional titles is very impressive though, with as good as a chance as any for a 3rd. By the way, I checked the KHSAA website, during the other 3 years that you say Rowan has been dominant when Troy Lee was there East lost to them by 5 in double ot at home, beat them by 29 on a neutral floor, 7 at Rowan Co., and 18 at East, seems according to your logic that would make East dominant over Rowan during those 3 years! Just give Ashland and East their due this year along with Rowan, they're all 3 good teams and the regional champion will come from 1 of those 3, I'd bet on it!!
Congrats RC
This was Sr Night for Rowan Co. they should have came out hot and pumped. East had 2 players in foul trouble within the first quarter. The officiating started to balance more later in the game. I am interested in seeing this rematch on a more neutral setting. I don't think anyone can declare who is headed to State. Right now I would say a three way tie between Ashland, East, and Rowan with West closing in.