Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No. 1 Trinity makes Eastern Kentucky Road Trip For Two Games With North Laurel, Clay
Looking for its 18th consecutive win away from home and 19th consecutive win overall, Trinity takes to the road for a two-game swing to Eastern Kentucky to face North Laurel on Friday and Clay County on Saturday.
Trinity is currently ranked #1 in the state of Kentucky and are 20-2 on the season. The Shamrocks are off to their best start since the historical 2004-2005 season that saw the Shamrocks record a school record 29 wins and achieve the school’s first top ranking in program history.
Senior Josh Sewell has established himself as the leading candidate for the Mr. Basketball award in the state of Kentucky. He has been named the Most Valuable Player of the Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass, Republic Bank Holiday Classic and Republic Bank/Coca-Cola Louisville Invitational Tournament this season.
Sewell became Trinity’s all-time leading scorer on Tuesday when he registered 29 points against Seneca. He passed Lee Morrison, a 1991 graduate, on the school’s all-time list. Morrison scored 1,317 points in his career and held the scoring mark for nearly 20 years.
Less than three weeks remain in the high school basketball season. Trinity has six games remaining on the regular season schedule.

2009-10 SEASON HIGHLIGHTS
• Senior Josh Sewell is the leading candidate for Kentucky’s Mr. Basketball Award
• Trinity becomes only team in state history to win the state’s three most prestigious tournaments in the same season, the King of the Bluegrass, Republic Bank Holiday Classic and Louisville Invitational Tournament.
• Trinity wins 2010 Republic Bank/Coca-Cola Louisville Invitational Tournament for the second time in program history. Senior Josh Sewell is named Most Valuable Player of the event. Sewell was joined on the All-Tournament Team by Charles Foster and Taylor Epley. In winning the event at Bellarmine University’s Knights Hall and Atherton High School, Trinity defeated Ballard, Eastern and Jeffersontown in a 29-hour period. The trio of teams, along with the Shamrocks, are generally considered the top four teams in the Seventh Region in the state of Kentucky, one of the toughest leagues or region in the nation this season.
• Trinity wins 2009 Republic Bank Holiday Classic for the second time in program history. Senior Josh Sewell is named Most Valuable Player of the event. Sewell was joined on the All-Tournament Team by Daniel Corbett, Taylor Epley and Charles Foster.
• Trinity wins 2009 Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass Holiday Classic for the first time in program history. Senior Josh Sewell was named the Bob White Most Valuable Player of the event and to the All-Tournament Team after averaging 20.5 points per game. Senior Taylor Epley was named to the All-Tournament Team after averaging 17.0 points per game in the four game span.
• Trinity reached the 20-win mark quicker than any team in the state of Kentucky, 22 games.
• Senior Josh Sewell signed a national letter of intent to play basketball at Miami (Ohio) on November 11, 2009.

QUICK HITS ON THIS WEEKEND’S GAMES
• North Laurel and Trinity have one common opponent, Clark County. Clay County and Trinity have three common opponents in Jeffersontown, Fern Creek and Lexington Catholic. Trinity is 3-0 against the teams while the Tigers are 0-3 against the teams.
• This weekend’s games mark the first games against teams from the 13th Region since Trinity beat Clay County 42-38 on Feb. 7, 2009 in Louisville.
• Trinity head coach Mike Szabo is 1-0 against North Laurel and 2-0 against Clay County in his time at Trinity.
• Trinity is well traveled this season. The Shamrocks will travel a total of 336 miles this weekend for their two games at North Laurel and Clay County. By the end of the season, Trinity will have traveled 1,399.6 miles over the course of the preseason and regular season.
• Trinity is 3-0 when playing on Saturday this season and currently hold a four game winning streak on Saturdays overall.

STATISTICAL JUMP SHOTS
• Trinity has defeated eight teams currently ranked in the top 10 of the Louisville Courier-Journal’s current Litkenhous ratings this season. The Shamrocks are also ranked in the top 10 of the rankings and the Rocks have not faced Shelby Valley.
• Trinity’s 20-2 record through 22 games is the second best record through 22 games in program history. A win against North Laurel will tie the 2004-2005 team for best 23 games start in program history at 21-2.
• Trinity has won 18 straight games, a school record. The Rocks have won 20 of their last 21 games overall.
• Trinity has won 17 straight games away from home to start the 2009-2010 season. The 17-game streak ties the best streak in program history. Trinity won 17 straight games away from home during the 2004-2005 season as well.
• Trinity is 42-10 over the last two seasons. The 42 wins are among the best marks in any two year period in program history. The record for a two year span is 48 wins. This is the fourth time in school history that the Rocks have amassed 40 wins or more over a two year period.
• Trinity is 10-0 in the 2010 calendar year.
• Trinity has won 30 consecutive games when holding their opponent to 55 points or less. The last loss came on Feb. 22, 2008, a 51-40 setback at DeSales.
• Trinity has hit a three-point basket in 85 consecutive games, a streak dating to the 2006-2007 season. It is the longest streak since an 88 game streak that lasted from 2003-2006.
• Trinity is 10-1 against regional competition this season, including a 4-1 record against teams from the 27th District. It’s the most wins in regional competition for the Rocks since 2006-2007 when Trinity won 11 games. The Szabo era record is 13 in 2004-2005. Trinity has defeated every regional team it has faced off against at least once.
Clay County is no slouch, but I don't believe Trinity has that much of a problem with either team.

Best of luck to the Shamrocks!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Clay County is no slouch, but I don't believe Trinity has that much of a problem with either team.

Best of luck to the Shamrocks!
I agree on Clay Co. Very hard to win there.
No beatdown, but I don't see T not winning by 10
Trinity gets a solid win at North, but look for the Tigers to pull off the win IN MANCHESTER!
Gold Charger Wrote:I agree on Clay Co. Very hard to win there.

It's going to come down to the referees. If they take Trinity's main players out of the game with fouls, it could be close. If they let the kids decide the game, I think Trinity has a bit too much.
How can you mention referees after the phantom offensive interference call that cost Clay the win at Trinity last season. I agree that Trinity is the favorite and on paper should get the win but let's not start bashing 13th region officials already. Home court advantage is a statewide issue....not just in Manchester. Giv'em heck Tigers.
I will take Trinity by 20 against North Laurel... However, at Clay is a new beast. I will say Trinity by 4 in a very good matchup.
When Bobby Keith was coaching Clay County it would have been hard for the Kentucky Wildcats to beat them in the old Tiger Den. Same with this game if he were still the coach. They just didn't lose at home, especially if "Roady" and a couple of his buds were calling the game, and the visitors were out of region. They would have had 70 fouls, ten lane violations, and 20 walks, called on them. Not to mention a few T's. :HitWall::biggrin:
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:When Bobby Keith was coaching Clay County it would have been hard for the Kentucky Wildcats to beat them in the old Tiger Den. Same with this game if he were still the coach. They just didn't lose at home, especially if "Roady" and a couple of his buds were calling the game, and the visitors were out of region. They would have had 70 fouls, ten lane violations, and 20 walks, called on them. Not to mention a few T's. :HitWall::biggrin:

Little history lesson:Thumbs:
Cant wait to see how it plays out.
8-ball24 Wrote:How can you mention referees after the phantom offensive interference call that cost Clay the win at Trinity last season. I agree that Trinity is the favorite and on paper should get the win but let's not start bashing 13th region officials already. Home court advantage is a statewide issue....not just in Manchester. Giv'em heck Tigers.

Sorry but there was no question the Clay player had a hand through the net. Whether that really affected the shot, I'm not sure, but the call was good.
They'll win both games by double digits imo.
Usually don't add any personal commentary, try to just stick to sharing our game notes/information with you, but would like to toss in my two cents here:

I am really looking forward to this trip and hope the weather allows for this game to be played. I have been close, personal friends with Richie Farmer and his parents for probably 8-10 years, but have never been able to make a trip to Manchester and look forward to the chance to do so with the team this weekend. Looking forward to playing against a school with great history and tradition like Clay County does on Saturday. Hopefully it is good, fun, fair game. I have had the chance to see Clay County play on three occasions this season personally and they have a very solid club in the three games I have seen and look forward to a great game. I think both teams have improved greatly since last years meeting in Louisville. This Trinity team is VERY different from the one seen last year.

All the best to both clubs and I look forward to traveling to Manchester this weekend and experiencing the great atmosphere that is EKY HS Basketball.
SID, the Tiger program is very much different than you think also. Could go into details but, "We ain't what we used to be".
Since the e-mail scandel, the Tigers home court advantage is nothing.
Email scandal? ^^^