Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Officiating
No one has given a reason yet why they believe grown men and women, most of whom have full-time jobs, families, and are well adjusted adults would deliberately call a high school game in favor of the 'home' team. Why does anyone believe referees would put their reputation on the line by cheating kids? High School games are just that - GAMES!
I was at the Somerset/ Southwestern game last night and one of the parents from Somerset said come on guys they just have to win. Talking about the calls from the refs. It completely blew me away because these are the same officials that call their home games as well.
Joe Friday to answer your question partially and I wish that I am not correct, but go back in the past to the betting and gambling situation in the late 60's and earlier 70's that involved some of the East Ky. Regions officials. I hope this does not bring out any names or individuals because I had and continue to have a lot of respect for the Men involved in the Refereeing Orginizations past and Present. Some chose to put a " Black Eye" on their sport at that time. Money talks back then and it does now.
no. 15th.
Everyone has done pretty good so far. Since this thread has been brought back to the forefront, I just want to tell everyone to be careful!
KC 1973 Wrote:Joe Friday to answer your question partially and I wish that I am not correct, but go back in the past to the betting and gambling situation in the late 60's and earlier 70's that involved some of the East Ky. Regions officials. I hope this does not bring out any names or individuals because I had and continue to have a lot of respect for the Men involved in the Refereeing Orginizations past and Present. Some chose to put a " Black Eye" on their sport at that time. Money talks back then and it does now.

Thank you, I appreciate your information. I am sure it has happened before and may even occur now and then today. However, it absolutely boggles the mind to believe that someone in this day and age would deliberately cheat for a 'home' team or any team for that matter. With that said, if there were / is proof that people were 'paid' to cheat and have evidence, the KHSAA would file criminal charges against the indviduals and the schools. Plus, those individuals refereeing would be banned from officiating in this state for life. With the technology the way it is today (video / cell phones / etc.) a referee would be extremely foolish to believe he could get away with it. Again, referees can have a bad night and can make mistakes in a split second judgement and I would hope no one would intentionally throw a game!!!
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:The 13th Region proved again tonight why they have the worst officials in the state. The 3 officials that called the Corbin/Whitley boys and girls games were clearly biased and never tried to hide who they were calling the games in favor of. You guessed it....Corbin. The films of these games should be forwarded to KHSAA for review and action against the officials. The radio announcers said it was one of the worst displays of biased officiating in favor of the home team they had ever witnessed. These officials caused the better team to lose (Girls game). Something has to be done to stop the blatent cheating that is occurring right in front of everyones faces. These officials are out of control and are determining who wins and who loses the games, it is no longer the players.......

Give it a break, it's getting real old.:please: I know the announcers, I'm assuming you are talking about the Whitley Co. announcers, and will ask them what they said. The Corbin boy's team won by around 40 points, sure didn't seem like they needed much help.:eyeroll: The girls' teams are about a dead even match from what I have seen and the score a one point victory in OT kind of bares that out.
I was at the game and the officiating had no, absolutely no bearing on the game. The officials did a good job on both ends of the court..... Get a life or your license and start officiating yourself.
redstorm Wrote:I was at the game and the officiating had no, absolutely no bearing on the game. The officials did a good job on both ends of the court..... Get a life or your license and start officiating yourself.

Good answer Redstorm. It must be true because the radio guys said so. I have never been in an area where so many radio people think they are officials and comment on how the officials are doing. Sometime they even call them by name. I think this is very unprofessional and should be stopped. People think that because the radio says or the coach acts like a fool that the officials must be wrong. I agree Redstorm you folks buy a whistle and get your license.
I have heard all season and last season from different parties
talking about officiating at the Corbin Home games.
Corbin has a weekend game coming up.
I have no dog in the fight and love mountain basketball.
I'm also asking an KHSAA official to make the trip with me.
and i promise to give everybody an Honest unbiased opinion
of what i see and hear.
As always had trouble finding the Corbin gym.
It was a really very good game until the visiting team go-too player
was taken out for shoving off of her a home teams player clinging to her jersey & arm.
the visitor was Given the damage & put out.
On the stats it will no doubt look like well called game.
But in All honesty the calls did not come against the home team until
the game was well out of reach.
Their was a lot of HARD fouls and for certain obvious HOLDING not called early on.
I dont know if this was the reasoning & complaining by a lot of people in the 13th.
Or even if this was even the same crew in question. But this crew was
at an Harlan County or clay county event i watched earlier on in the
year their calling seemed eratic at times. With the one Exception of this one official edwards that really IMO does need some more training or just flat out prayed for on his calling or lack theirof..lol however I actually had no Major problems with the other two.
except they should of stepped up & stopped the holding and hard fouls early on.
The Visiting Coach finally physically showed the refs how his players was being held
but to no avail. actually looked comical if i did in reality feel sorry for their coach.
in the 3rd one of the visitoring players screamed "look" and a foul was finally
called for her & she was certainally getting blatantly held. Im not saying the best team did not win. Im saying the player took out for physically trying to escape a full nelson wrestling hold was the best player on the court and was leading the home team & then the game got away while she was out. Said player did come back and calls were then made but as i said but the game was all but over but then the visitors had a field day from the foul line in the 4th but as i said the home team winning was no longer
in question.. it did leave me wondering why the officials could not have called it the exact same way when the game was tight.