Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 48 Mason County 46
Final
Congrats Bluebirds
Wow, I won't say I'm shocked, but after seeing how the Royals have played lately, I still thought they were better than the Birds. I knew that HHS was the 2nd best team in NKY, this secures that for me now.
Nice win Birds, the 9th will be determined by this Highlands team and the Bulldogs of Covington Holmes!!! This win secures highlands as my #2 team in the region, if it wasn't already that way anyway.
Neither team needs to hang their head, very good game.
Highlands 48 Mason Co. 46

Mason Co. 13 11 11 11 46

Highlands 8 14 11 15 48

Mason Co. (3-1) -- Gilbert 5, Black 13, J. Lang 6, B. Lang 5, Setty 17.
Highlands (4-0) -- Lother 17, Gordon 4, Smith-Keller 5, Watson 5, Dill 4, Stewart 4, Grubbs 9

http://www.kentucky.com/945/story/1040329.html
Stardust Wrote:Wow, I won't say I'm shocked, but after seeing how the Royals have played lately, I still thought they were better than the Birds. I knew that HHS was the 2nd best team in NKY, this secures that for me now.

I didn't , I thought HHS would win by more. Right now Mason is over rated this year. Not the same Mason teams of the last few years. Setty only one with any experience. Mason will get better as the year goes on.
5'9 Lother with 17 points on the Royals. Atta boy mighty mouse...way ta step up.

BTW, neither Kowlonek OR Grote played in this game but they still pulled it out. Grote is still suffering from concussion like symptoms and Kowolonek was out with a sore knee.

I think that just goes to show the kind of depth that Highlands has. They can play without their two best players and still beat a solid Royals team.
Gold Charger Wrote:I didn't , I thought HHS would win by more. Right now Mason is over rated this year. Not the same Mason teams of the last few years. Setty only one with any experience. Mason will get better as the year goes on.

Setty was really the only one that did any damage against the Birds last night.

I agree Mason is overrated...Highlands played without their two best players in Kowolonek and Grote and they still won.
I think Mason has a very good point guard in Gilbert and Setty is a stud but outside of that they really dont have anyone that can make a difference. The role players they have do play hard but they are not like the talent they have had their in the past.

This was a great game to watch as there were lead changes often and Mason Co jumped up 7 on the Birds a couple times only to lose it.

Lother at one point drove right by Gilbert for a very nice kiss off the glass, Birds got a steal and Lother hit a floater in the lane and then off a Mason Co miss he drained a big 3. He scored 7 straigt points to put them up 43-40 and Mason Co had to call the TO baby. That was huge and then he iced the game hitting 2 FT's with 17 sec left to put them up 48-44. Birds held them and got it back but were fouled, Stewart missed front end of bonus with 4 sec left, the Birds let Mason Co score the last bucket as time ran out.

Nice crowd and kudos to the Mason Co folks who traveled up to watch their Royals.
I agree that Mason Co is overrated. After Barner transferring out and Pawsatt getting hurt, Setty and Gilbert just isn't enough to make them one of the top teams in the state.

However, they are a very good team, but not top 20. Someone stated that Setty was the only player with experience, Gilbert did not start last year but he got a lot of playing time coming off the bench. He is an excellent PG that is very quick and can shoot very well.

MC still should beat everyone in the 10th except GRC.
goodguy Wrote:I agree that Mason Co is overrated. After Barner transferring out and Pawsatt getting hurt, Setty and Gilbert just isn't enough to make them one of the top teams in the state.

However, they are a very good team, but not top 20. Someone stated that Setty was the only player with experience, Gilbert did not start last year but he got a lot of playing time coming off the bench. He is an excellent PG that is very quick and can shoot very well.

MC still should beat everyone in the 10th except GRC.

I agree 100%. Mason is a good team...but not top 20.
WOW! Congrats to the Bluebirds! Very impressive win!