Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes 45 Memphis Central (TN) 40
Good win for Kentucky.
Nice win for the Bulldogs!
Wow, I mean wow
I don't think people realize just yet how big of a win this is for Holmes.

Memphis Central is a very good team. They were rated the sixth best team in Tn and had not only the third best sophomore in the country but also a three star Tulsa commit.

Holmes defense is going to carry them this year. To hold Central to 40 points is very impressive.
About as expected. I mentioned before if Eli played I felt Holmes would win a close one
Huge win for Holmes, it wipes some doubts after the Beechwood and Bowman game away. As we have all said before you don't win championships in December, but this is a sign that the team is getting better. Just like last year, they lost a game early but as the season went on they reeled off a bunch of wins because they kept getting better
Holmes held Central 29 points below their season average of 69 ppg. I believe Central had also play 6 or 7 games before this one.

For the doubters, has Holmes still not lived up to the hype? Like I said before, it's still early and this Holmes team is no where near it's potential yet. When they start clicking on all cylinders they are going to be scary.

Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships. Some people are in awe about these teams scoring in the 90's, but honestly it's more impressive for a team like Holmes to average 65 ppg and win 36 games and a state title.

Holmes will continue to improve as the season progresses.
Congrats Holmes on your 5 point win over Memphis.
I think this game goes to show why Holmes is the #1 team in the state. Congrats Bulldogs!
dortonite Wrote:Congrats Holmes on your 5 point win over Memphis.

They got lucky...
BaseballIsLife Wrote:I think this game goes to show why Holmes is the #1 team in the state. Congrats Bulldogs!

:Thumbs:
I believe i predicted this one by 5 for Holmes!! Congrats!
Why to go Holmes!
Elijah Pittman, who was held out of the St. Henry game, was named the game MVP.
good win for the dogs....some iffy calls both ways and fouls were getting outta hand on both sides in the second half...the 2 halves i think affected both teams, but great defense from both teams imo. fun game to watch...the dogs are shooting a lot better in their past two games...

woulda been more fun if elijah was in the dunk contest
dortonite Wrote:Congrats Holmes on your 5 point win over Memphis.

I sense the sarcasm in this post and I guess I'll be the one to take the bait.

Obviously you don't realize how good Memphis Central is. They would easily be a top 5 team in KY with the type of talent they have.

It's rare that a KY team plays an out of state team that features not only a kid like Jarnell Stokes who is rated the third best player IN THE COUNTRY, but also a 3* player like Tim Peete who is already signed, sealed, and delivered to Tulsa. Not to mention they have another top 150 player in the sophomore class in 6'4 Andre Applewhite.

I think you may want to eat your words when you said the other day that Holmes hasn't lived up to the hype.
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Elijah Pittman, who was held out of the St. Henry game, was named the game MVP.

For whatever reason, Pittman always seems to play better when the competition is stepped up.

If not for off the court issues in the classroom, he would be receiving MAJOR D1 interest... he is hands down the most talented and athletically gifted player in the state IMO.
goldenrule19 Wrote:Why to go Holmes!

What's that supposed to mean?
Big win for Holmes over a very talented team. I said in another thread not many teams will score over 50 on Holmes. Henley is a master at teaching half-court man to man defense. That seems to be what this team is going to hang there hat on as a unit. Offensively the turnovers concern me some what. If Holmes limit the turnovers they will become very explosive on the offensive side of the ball. This is one of the better shooting Holmes teams I have seen in a while. I can't remember a time when Holmes had this many kids who can strecth a defense with the three point shot. All of Holmes top 7 seven can knock down the long ball. We will have an even better read on Holmes after the KOB. It's always good to see how you stack up against 7th region teams.
Box Score:

Memphis Central (5-1): Peete 3 2 9, Stokes 3 2 8, Farmer 3 1 7, Harmon 3 0 6, Johnson 1 3 5, Clear 1 1 3, Applewhite 0 2 2, Totals; 14 11 40.

Holmes (3-1): R. Johnson 5 8 19, Pittman 5 0 13, Rice 3 0 7, Slusher 2 2 6, Totals; 15 10 45.

Memphis Central: 14-7-6-13-40
Cov. Holmes: 10-14-9-12-45

3 pointers: MC 1 (Peete); H 5 (Pittman 3, R. Johnson, Rice)

Pittman had a double double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
I hate to say this, but I think it's time for Rice to move in to the starting line up ahead of Avery. Rice is proving to be a much bigger scoring threat and continues to play well.

Avery just isn't playing well offensively right now. I think Holmes starting line up should be:

R. Johnson, J. Johnson, Slusher, Rice, Pittman
Congrats Holmes. Always looks good for the state when a KY team knocks off a strong team from another state.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kywldcat01 Wrote:Box Score:

Memphis Central (5-1): Peete 3 2 9, Stokes 3 2 8, Farmer 3 1 7, Harmon 3 0 6, Johnson 1 3 5, Clear 1 1 3, Applewhite 0 2 2, Totals; 14 11 40.

Holmes (3-1): R. Johnson 5 8 19, Pittman 5 0 13, Rice 3 0 7, Slusher 2 2 6, Totals; 15 10 45.

Memphis Central: 14-7-6-13-40
Cov. Holmes: 10-14-9-12-45

3 pointers: MC 1 (Peete); H 5 (Pittman 3, R. Johnson, Rice)

Pittman had a double double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
Did Avery and JJ play in this game?
goodguy Wrote:Did Avery and JJ play in this game?

Both played...neither scored.

It was a very physical game defensively by both teams.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I sense the sarcasm in this post and I guess I'll be the one to take the bait.

Obviously you don't realize how good Memphis Central is. They would easily be a top 5 team in KY with the type of talent they have.

It's rare that a KY team plays an out of state team that features not only a kid like Jarnell Stokes who is rated the third best player IN THE COUNTRY, but also a 3* player like Tim Peete who is already signed, sealed, and delivered to Tulsa. Not to mention they have another top 150 player in the sophomore class in 6'4 Andre Applewhite.

I think you may want to eat your words when you said the other day that Holmes hasn't lived up to the hype.
If I have to eat my words I will do so with pleasure. I did not say Holmes has not lived up to the hype, I said or meant to say Holmes has not lived up to "YOUR" hype. I am a SV homer and you are a Holmes homer and I am very pleased to be talking about KY hilgh school ball, the players and teams we talk about on this site are precious to me and I think they are to you too, both teams have faced some very good out of state competition and represented us well. Good luck the rest of the season to Holmes and SV. Stay healthy.
More Cowbell Wrote:Congrats Holmes. Always looks good for the state when a KY team knocks off a strong team from another state.

I agree, I always support any KY school playing against a out of state team. This was a great win for Holmes!!