Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting theory about Academics and Athletics
Does anyone think that when a school has good academics it in turn promotes the chances of having good athletics? I saw in another thread about Highlands and it made me think. I know that when Pikeville was excelling in the late 80s and throughout the 90s that their academic were also top notch. Other schools like Paintsville, Russell, etc... fit in this category. There always will be exceptions, but it is just something to ponder. Thoughts?
I would say it does when a school has good academics parents love to send there kids there because thats what will get them the farthest in life. Most people who come to Russell or any other small good academic school won't be playing college sports but what they will have is a great education that will prepare them for college and get them far in life.
I know that Coach Haywood keeps tabs on the football teams grades. If he sees a grade slipping, he calls them into his office, discusses the situtation/grade with them, and puts them on the right track to correcting the drop in their grade! I think coaches need to take a interest in their players. Keep tabs on them, show them (the kids) they want to know, and by doing this, it's showing the kids that academics come first, not athletics!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:I know that Coach Haywood keeps tabs on the football teams grades. If he sees a grade slipping, he calls them into his office, discusses the situtation/grade with them, and puts them on the right track to correcting the drop in their grade! I think coaches need to take a interest in their players. Keep tabs on them, show them (the kids) they want to know, and by doing this, it's showing the kids that academics come first, not athletics!!

Fort Thomas Independent Schools, a recognized leader in the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area and in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, consistently achieves high test scores and ranks as Kentucky's highest performing kindergarten through twelfth grade public school district for the 15th consecutive year.

They have ONLY been to 9 football championships, winning 7 in the last 15 years.

http://www.fortthomas.kyschools.us/admin...spx?aid=30
Blau Vogel Wrote:Fort Thomas Independent Schools, a recognized leader in the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area and in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, consistently achieves high test scores and ranks as Kentucky's highest performing kindergarten through twelfth grade public school district for the 15th consecutive year.

They have ONLY been to 9 football championships, winning 7 in the last 15 years.

http://www.fortthomas.kyschools.us/admin...spx?aid=30
I don't know how high Russell ranks k-12 but i'd say its right up there and as small of a district as it is compared to highlands thats saying a lot.

Russell academics all together can compete with the best of them.

Russell academic resume:

Ky governors cup state champions

national beta club quiz bowl champions

ky beta club quiz bowl champions

ky science olympiad state champions

knowledge master open
ky state champs 2007

not bad for school district with at least 500 if not more less students k-12 than highlands
For what it is worth:

High School only 2008 Score

108.5 Dupont Manual
104.4 Louisville Male
100.2 Beechwood
99.6 Highlands
97.4 North Oldham High School
97.3 Frederick Fraize
97.3 South Oldham
97.2 Richmond Model
97.1 Hazard
95.1 Elizabethtown
93.0 Walton-Verona
92.0 Larry A. Ryle
91.9 Butler Traditional
91.6 Oldham County
90.4 Eastern
90.3 Corbin
90.2 Hancock
90.2 Bowling Green
90.2 Ballard
90.1 Greenwood
90.1 Williamstown
90.0 Glasgow
88.4 Dunbar
88.3 Henry Clay
88.2 Russell
88.2 Southwestern
87.9 Harlan
87.6 Hickman
87.2 Murray
87.0 Pike Central
86.4 Eminence
85.8 Paintsville
85.3 Ludlow
85.1 LaRue County
84.9 Webster County
84.9 Lafayette
84.5 Boone County
84.3 Dixie Heights
84.2 Russell County

http://datacenter.courier-journal.com/sc...ighschools
The days of the "dumb jock" are pretty much over in my opinion (at least at successful schools). Football is a mental game almost as much so as a physical one. A smart player can beat a superior athlete by good technique(ability to learn) and heart. I firmly believe that when all is said and done, a young man that is willing to work hard in one facet in life(academics) will be more than adequate in all others(athletics). Can you correlate academic team trophies with football success? Not exactly. The one's competing on academic teams probably aren't the same young men on a football field, I can almost guarantee in most cases. But a school that emphasizes hard work in the classroom and on the field are going to be successful in the long run.
Cope Wrote:The days of the "dumb jock" are pretty much over in my opinion (at least at successful schools). Football is a mental game almost as much so as a physical one. A smart player can beat a superior athlete by good technique(ability to learn) and heart. I firmly believe that when all is said and done, a young man that is willing to work hard in one facet in life(academics) will be more than adequate in all others(athletics). Can you correlate academic team trophies with football success? Not exactly. The one's competing on academic teams probably aren't the same young men on a football field, I can almost guarantee in most cases. But a school that emphasizes hard work in the classroom and on the field are going to be successful in the long run.
I think Russell's and other schools with top cats scores speak for themselves and I was just making a point with the academic team that there are some smart students there and that it was one of the top schools in the state for academics. I know Russell emphasizes hard work in the class room if you are below I think a c you don't play sports.
I wasn't trying to argue with you in any way. I think that a school that consistently scores well on standardized tests (like Russell) most definitely emphasizes hard work in the classroom as well as on the field (even with recent down years). I believe that the KHSAA also has standards for the minimum GPA for a student athlete similar to what you said. Russell is a model for excellence in academics and sports for many schools in Eastern Kentucky.
I know Russell has several kids in 8th grade and below on their academic teams who are also good in sports as well. My son goes to Russell because of high academics. If you play sports with talented players its gonna make you better. If you go to a school with higher academics its gonna prepare you better for college and the job market beyond that.
It's parental involvement more than money, tradition, or anything else. It affects everything -- academics, athletics, college enrollment, etc.
Great academics draw great athletes i.m.o. If i was an exceptional athlete i would want to play at a school where i could excell in both areas and be part of the success.
The mind of a student body is its academics. But the heart and soul of a student body is its athletic teams. IMO the 2 go hand in hand.
THey go hand in hand, but I think the biggest thing is a school and community that cares about doing things right and being the best, if you have this you can win in sports and the classroom, so many schools neglect sports and they are also not successful in athletics.
Boyle County always seems to be the top in the area for academics. Just sayin
This would be true because many sports involve critical thinking skills, problem solving, and some situations that could be looked at in a multiple choice perspective, as well as strategy.
In 2009 we were second in region in basketball, football and regional champs in baseball but are ranked very low academically.......
lawrencefan Wrote:In 2009 we were second in region in basketball, football and regional champs in baseball but are ranked very low academically.......
we're not just talking about 1 year but over a number of years.