Poll: Which position is most important?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Point Guard
81.82%
Shooting Guard
0%
Small Forward
9.09%
Power Forward
0%
Center
9.09%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Important Basketball Position
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this topic; if this is the wrong place, please moderators, change the location of this thread. Thanks.

The question for this thread is: Which position is the most important for basketball teams?

Here are a list of the positions and what they're primary objective is:

Point Guard - Also known as the "quarterback" of basketball. They're supposed to understand their coach's game plan, figure out ways to use their coach's game plan, and be able to control the game tempo. On defense, they're to cause as much chaos on the other point guard; to prevent the other team from organizing. (Example: Magic Johnson and Steve Nash)

Shooting Guard - They're the ones who score most of the points. Their role is to score as many points possible for their teams. On defense, they're to shut down the other shooting guard. (Example: Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant)

Small Forward - Known to be very versatile (and very athletic). Responsible for scoring inside and outside and getting rebounds. On defense, they're known to have to be the best defenders on the team, being able to defend inside and outside. (Example: Larry Bird and LeBron James)

Power Forward - Could be known as a "fast center". The power forward is very similar to a center in that he uses his body to score on the inside and get rebounds, but can score better at mid-range and is faster than an average center. (Example: Charles Barkley and Dirk Nowitzki)

Center - Known to be the "anchor" for team's defenses. This player uses their size and strength to score and get rebounds. On defense, they keep opposing players away from being close to the goal, block shots, and get rebounds. (Example: Shaquille O'Neal and Dwight Howard)
I personally think the small forward position is the most important position. This is because the small forward position asks so much out of that single player (having to be able to score points on the outside and inside, being able to rebound, having to be able to defend different-skilled players at that position - whether the opposing player is fast or strong, etc.). Also, if you have a good small forward, it's very easy to build around that person. Here's what I rank the different positions:

1. small forward
2. point guard
3. shooting guard
4. power forward
5. center
Point Guard.

The PG runs the show. The PG is supposed to be an extension of the coach on the floor, more often than not is the leader out on the floor and the captain. AKA "The Floor General".

I hear the term Quarterback of the team alot. But, in Basketball, the PG has more responsibility and pressure on their shoulders ,than a QB in football. The PG has the ball in his hands more than any position in any sport, besides a Pitcher and Catcher in baseball.

I once heard from a legendary college basketball coach, you'll go only as far as your PG takes you.

1. Point Guard
Then, the rest depends on what/whom your team has and what each player's role on that team is.
Depends on the make-up of the team. If you are a showtime team, you need Magic to run the floor. If you are a halfcourt team, you need a Shaq to post up.
IMO point guard because every ship needs its captain even if it is a drunk johnny depp LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The whole team is improtant...I think PG is though
In college basketball i believe that the PG is the most important position. However in the NBA i believe a Center is the most important. It is very rare for a team to win an NBA championship without a top notch big man. But for the college ranks its almost the opposite, normally it's a top PG who will lead their team to the National Championship.
PG definitely. You cant score unless you can get the ball up the court.
I agree, in college your point guard is the most important, in the NBA a post man is... Ask LeBron.
usually the most important position played by the better conditioned player on the floor.