Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could EKU host the Championships Games?
I seen this on another site. Could EKU host the kentucky state championship games. I thought it was a good idea. its just about 20 min south of lexington and has several hotels and restaurants Close by the stadium. What does every one else think about this idea.
love it
Positives

+ Turf Surface
+ Central KY
+ Campus/Small Town Setting
+ Ample Parking
+ Less Likely for Schedule Conflicts (unlike PJCS)

Negatives

- Hotels in Richmond (plenty of motels, but limited true hotels. WKU alaso has this problem IMO. A large ammount of people would probably have to stay in Lex or Berea)
- Traffic Out of Richmond (not horrible, but much worse than Louisville)
- Seating Difference between Home/Away. One side is limited seating metal bleachers, the other is a massive concrete grandstand with a mixture of boxes, chairbacks, and bleachers. By far the biggest negative.

I personally think that EKU would be a good host site for 1A and 2A Finals, but you would have major issues on occasion with the 5A and 6A crowds.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Positives

+ Turf Surface
+ Central KY
+ Ample Parking

Negatives

- Hotels in Richmond (plenty of motels, but limited true hotels. WKU alaso has this problem IMO. A large ammount of people would probably have to stay in Lex or Berea)
- Seating Difference between Home/Away. One side is limited seating metal bleachers, the other is a massive concrete grandstand with a mixture of boxes, chairbacks, and bleachers. By far the biggest negative.

I personally think that EKU would be a good host site for 1A and 2A Finals, but you would have major issues on occasion with the 5A and 6A crowds.

I like the idea of each classes being in different sites. Great idea!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Positives

+ Turf Surface
+ Central KY
+ Ample Parking

Negatives

Berea is ony about 10 minutes away and lexington is about 25 minutes way. thats about the same time it would take some one to get the there rooms from the stadium in Bowling green and Louisville
For a 1a and 2a game could be at EKU, 3a and 4a could be at Commenwelath Stadium, and 5a and 6a could be at wku. Then they could change it around.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:For a 1a and 2a game could be at EKU, 3a and 4a could be at Commenwelath Stadium, and 5a and 6a could be at wku. Then they could change it around.

Thats a stupid idea. There is alot of people who like to watch more than one class. Its alot more for KHSAA to have to schedule around, that they wont do. Just keep it the way it is all at one place sounds like a great idea to me. And by the way EKU sounds good to me. It should be spread out from place to place.:Thumbs:
It was just a idea. I think Virginia has different sites. I don't like it every place every year. The money should be distributed throughout the state.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:I seen this on another site. Could EKU host the kentucky state championship games. I thought it was a good idea. its just about 20 min south of lexington and has several hotels and restaurants Close by the stadium. What does every one else think about this idea.

I cant remember how it was set up, but when Russell won their first state title in 78 they played at EKU. They were 3a then. I cant remember when they moved to a diffrent location.
mightydog Wrote:I cant remember how it was set up, but when Russell won their first state title in 78 they played at EKU. They were 3a then. I cant remember when they moved to a diffrent location.
Belfry played in Cardinal Stadium in 1979 in the championship agains Franklin Simpson. A huge problem about playing at EKU would be hosting the 6A finals. Those crowds are huge. WKU may get a break this year because the 6A championship may not draw as many as it does in Louisville, thus they will be able to hold them all. If the attendance does not get any better than last year, either WKU or EKU could host the finals.
Yes they could I can't see any problems.
If not E.k.u., then commonwealth Stadium.imo More centrally located than L'ville or W.k.u.
Big Five-0- Wrote:If not E.k.u., then commonwealth Stadium.imo More centrally located than L'ville or W.k.u.

Negatory.... Commonwealth has a grass surface and UK may still be hosting a football game that weekend (one of the core reasons PJCS lost the Finals). UK would not dream of risking the wear and tear of 6 football games on a grass surface in early December.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Negatory.... Commonwealth has a grass surface and UK may still be hosting a football game that weekend (one of the core reasons PJCS lost the Finals). UK would not dream of risking the wear and tear of 6 football games on a grass surface in early December.

Uk's Athletic department is supposed to meet sometime next week about a re modleing Rupp and giving Commonwelth a face lift and a new turf field. so in the next couple years i can see it in lexington if every thing go acording to plan.
great idea
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:Uk's Athletic department is supposed to meet sometime next week about a re modleing Rupp and giving Commonwelth a face lift and a new turf field. so in the next couple years i can see it in lexington if every thing go acording to plan.

If C-wealth ever gets turf it will be a no brainer...
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Negatory.... Commonwealth has a grass surface and UK may still be hostg a football game that weekend (one of the core reasons PJCS lost the Finals). UK would not dream of risking the wear and tear of 6 football games on a grass surface in early December.

Forgot about the no turf. Location (central) should be a plus, don't you think?
Big Five-0- Wrote:Forgot about the no turf. Location (central) should be a plus, don't you think?

Location doesn't mean a thing if the school won't let you use it in the first place. There is no way UK would take the chance on early December weather to play 6 football games in two days... the grass surface is the reason that the game had always been played either had been played at Cardinal Stadium or the pizza pit.
i have watched alot of games at commenwealth and never seen the grass get messed up. i mean i think i a sec game would make more mess on the field then 6 high school games in 2 days. you also have to remember this is a college field they have people that would work on the field all night after the first day of games. i have been on the field a couple of times and the grass is great its better feeling than any turf i have been on and it holds up really well. i think all the games should be played at UK thats just my opinion. Its a big nice stadium with decent seats and is a great place to watch football games. they would also have all the off season to fix the field its not like its going to ruin the field for next years uk season lol
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Negatory.... Commonwealth has a grass surface and UK may still be hosting a football game that weekend (one of the core reasons PJCS lost the Finals). UK would not dream of risking the wear and tear of 6 football games on a grass surface in early December.

uk will never have a game at home after thanksgiving weekend!! the season is over besides a bowl game and that is not played at home!!!
As someone who lives in Richmond, please DO NOT bring the championships here!

Traffic is bad enough already.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]