Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 56 Knott Co. Central 8
Final from Blackcat Stadium!

Michael Burchett - 10-12 274 yds 4 tds.
nice win for the Blackcats............

Who are the possible opponents for next week????
The winner of the Bath County/Middlesboro game.
Was no game to this one as expected. The JV played well for Prestonsburg in the second half. Not much to say about this one.

Congrats Blackcats and good luck next week!
Poor Knott County takes a beating as usual.
From listening to the ball game doesnt seem like Knott really puts much time through the week in practice. The guys on the radio (who are from Knott) said that they may practice 30-40 minutes a week...why even field a team if you aren't going to commit more time then that?
I also want to say congrats to Michael Burchett who broke the single season record for passing yards at Prestonsburg.
OldTymer Wrote:From listening to the ball game doesnt seem like Knott really puts much time through the week in practice. The guys on the radio (who are from Knott) said that they may practice 30-40 minutes a week...why even field a team if you aren't going to commit more time then that?

What I heard Drum say was that they worked on defense about an hour a week.... I've heard the same thing from players and coaches....
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I also want to say congrats to Michael Burchett who broke the single season record for passing yards at Prestonsburg.

This game was over before it started!! Congrats to Prestonsburg and Congrats to Mr. Burchett!
Knott County doesn't give a hoot about football. They need to disband their program and save their money if they are not going to show more interest in it.
Pretty dominate performance
that is bull. my son plays and they practice everyday after school until about 8 every night. The seniors have weight lifting the last period of the day and that is a practice. They haven't had a program or coach for several years. Coach has his picks whether they can play or not. Hopefully, Knott will get competents coaching staff. They actually have some good players
I left at halftime. Heard Burchett went over 2,000 yards passing with this win.
Congrats Blackcat and good luck next week.
winnerloser Wrote:that is bull. my son plays and they practice everyday after school until about 8 every night. The seniors have weight lifting the last period of the day and that is a practice. They haven't had a program or coach for several years. Coach has his picks whether they can play or not. Hopefully, Knott will get competents coaching staff. They actually have some good players
Totally agree..I am a graduate of KCC and if they actually had a coaching staff that cared about the program KCC could begin winning again. These players deserve a coach that cares about the program as much as the players do.. I want to commend these players that come out every week and play to the best of their ability.. keep your heads up because you are winners regardless just because you step onto the field and do what you love..playing football..
I Don't care what you say i played at knott central last year. And i can say you people don't know what you are talking about Beder and staff give alot to this program and school it's not the coaches it's the whole school...they think knott co. is a basketball county how can you get people to commit when you don't have everyone behind you..So think about it
How on God's green earth did KCC put 30+ points on the board in the first half against Corbin? I remember reading some stuff about that game, but until I watched KCC last night, I didn't think too much about it. KCC had the potential to be a decent team, and I was told that they had some tough early losses by very close margins. Was it a Lawrence County scenario from last year, where once you lose a few close heartbreaking games then the season becomes moot? KCC looked like they had not seen a forward pass all year long. Can't remember the last game that Pburg's receivers were so wide open...

One thing I noticed last night. On KCC's first drive, the only time they moved the ball at all against the starters, they seemed to run a scheme similar to Matewan and SV in that they just threw a ton of bodies at the point of attack. Linemen pulling, lead blockers, and the ball carrier just got behind them and kept his feet moving, picking up 4-5 yards a crack. This old school style of offense seems to work, at least initially, against Pburg, mainly because it is tough for the defenders to find the ball behind that big of a wall of opposing players. If your defense is predicated on linebackers making tackles, like Prestonsburg, then this mass of bodies at the offensive point of attack effectively hinders that. That makes a couple of different teams that have had success that way against Pburg. After Pburg made some adjustments on defense (and put a few scores on the board), KCC had to try to open the playbook a little, and then the game was literally over.

Kudos to the coaching staff at Pburg. They have made more effective in-game adjustments this year than I can ever recall. It does cause some concern, though, if the Blackcats meet up with Corbin, as the Redhounds have big, strong linemen and much faster backs than any team we have played so far.

11-0. Great season, Blackcats. Keep it rolling...
cat86 Wrote:. It does cause some concern, though, if the Blackcats meet up with Corbin, as the Redhounds have big, strong linemen and much faster backs than any team we have played so far.

They may be bigger up front, but I really doubt they have faster backs the Shelby Valley (BJ Roberts). I know Watkins can run, but I don't think he's got wheels like Roberts.
Watkins is reported to be a 4.5 guy. Some have listed him as a 4.4 man, but I am highly skeptical of that. He was very impressive last year, but haven't seen him in person this year. He is big, runs hard, and is very fast.

I don't think Corbin's backfield, as a group, comes close to matching up with SV's group. But Watkins is a tougher, faster, harder running version of Channing Fugate. I for one would LOVE to see the Shelby Valley-Corbin game next week. Similar styles, similar skill sets, similar personnel.

It's not that good teams won't score against Prestonsburg's defense, it's just that they can't score enough to keep up with the Blackcat offense. Once they get behind, they have to get away from their bread and butter. Then, the defensive stops for the Blackcats get easier, and that leads (so far this season) to a Blackcat win.
I'm hoping the Blackcats go all the way in the playoffs.
cat86 Wrote:Watkins is reported to be a 4.5 guy. Some have listed him as a 4.4 man, but I am highly skeptical of that. He was very impressive last year, but haven't seen him in person this year. He is big, runs hard, and is very fast.

I don't think Corbin's backfield, as a group, comes close to matching up with SV's group. But Watkins is a tougher, faster, harder running version of Channing Fugate. I for one would LOVE to see the Shelby Valley-Corbin game next week. Similar styles, similar skill sets, similar personnel.

It's not that good teams won't score against Prestonsburg's defense, it's just that they can't score enough to keep up with the Blackcat offense. Once they get behind, they have to get away from their bread and butter. Then, the defensive stops for the Blackcats get easier, and that leads (so far this season) to a Blackcat win.

Fugate & Watkins is a fair comparison, but I'd take a healthy Fugate.

Last year Prestonsburg didn't have much of a problem stopping Watkins, its was the FB Campbell Prestonsburg struggled with throughout the game.
Congrats P-Burg.