Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NewCath coach will miss game
After standing on the sidelines as Newport Central Catholic's head football coach for 526 straight games, Bob Schneider will follow Friday's game at Beechwood from his Woodlawn home.

Schneider, the state's all-time leader in coaching victories, is home after spending five days in the hospital with blood clots. But he won't be able to coach his team's regular season finale.

"The doctors told me I have to take off this Friday," said Schneider. "And I'm not sure about next Friday either."

Schneider, 71, went to the emergency room during halftime of last Friday's victory over Lloyd.

"It was strange. I had a tightness in my leg," he said. "When I was getting ready for the game and my left leg was all swollen, from my hip to my foot. Our team doctor told me to get to the emergency room that night. ... They wanted complete bed rest. It was the most miserable five days I've ever had."

Schneider, in his 44th year as head coach of his alma mater, has never missed a game.
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...910290378/
"This is the first one. And I don't like missing it, because this is our season," he said. "We're either going to go into the playoffs 4-6 or 5-5."

Schneider's son Dave, the team's offensive coordinator, will act as head coach.

Win or lose, the Thoroughbreds have qualified for the playoffs. They'll open the postseason against Carroll County. Schneider, who has won three state titles, led the Thoroughbreds to their most recent championship in 2006 when they entered the playoffs 5-5. They've finished the last two seasons as Class 2A state runner-up.
I heard that the blood clot was pretty dangerous and could have spread. Hopefully Coach Schneider recovers quickly and gets back out there. I remember a couple years ago he got wiped out on the sidelines and smacked the back of his head on the turf. Not good for a 69 yr old guy. 526 straight games without a miss is just unreal.
qryche11 Wrote:I heard that the blood clot was pretty dangerous and could have spread. Hopefully Coach Schneider recovers quickly and gets back out there. I remember a couple years ago he got wiped out on the sidelines and smacked the back of his head on the turf. Not good for a 69 yr old guy. 526 straight games without a miss is just unreal.
Especially since he's 71:biggrin:
I admire Coach Schneider of what he has done over their in the past 40 plus years.
Imagine if you could coaching at a school for 44 years. That is so unbelievable in this day and age