Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decade of Dominance
This makes 10 straight years that a Letcher County school has won a regional title in volleyball.

Letcher Eagles - Coached by Betty Von Caudill won regional titles in 2000, 2001 and 2002.

Whitesburg Yellowjackets - Coached by Keith Baker won regional titles in 2003 and 2004.

In the summer of 2005 these schools consolidated along with Fleming-Neon to make Letcher County Central. Since then the Lady Cougars have won five straight regional titles. Coached by Betty Von Caudill, they won regional titles in 2005, 2006, and 2007. Coached by Dickie Adams, they won regional titles in 2008 and 2009.

I may be wrong but I do not believe any other team has ever won the 14th region regional championship.
who won it from 1995 to 1999?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Local teams were in regionals with Woodford County and other central Kentucky teams as there was not many volleyball teams in Eastern Kentucky at that time.
10 years, that is very impressive.
1999 Breathith won it with Letcher being runner up. I looked it up!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Betty Von Caudill is a superb coach. I believe she is now coaching at the middle school.
Yes she is great coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:1999 Breathith won it with Letcher being runner up. I looked it up!

That may be the only other 14th region team that has ever won it. I know that Perry Central has went as a runner-up when the old format had the winner and runner-up go the state tournament.
i was impressed with the play of letcher central but i still dont think they were playing to there full potential in the 14th region tournament this week..i dont see any other team winning it next season either..but there still not the best team in state in my opinion..
You play sometimes to the level of the opponent...
rootbeercake Wrote:i was impressed with the play of letcher central but i still dont think they were playing to there full potential in the 14th region tournament this week..i dont see any other team winning it next season either..but there still not the best team in state in my opinion..

I don't think I have heard anyone from Letcher County or anywhere else stating they were the best team in the state or even a ranked team in the state. They have just been the most dominating team in the 14th region and one of the best teams in the mountains. They are getting closer to the level of being competitive with some of the large city schools but they are a long way from being competitive with the private catholic schools in Louisville. The problem is the 14th region is weak and appears to be getting weaker. I overheard some of the fans from the other schools at the tournament stating that the only reason that LCC was any good is because they were a large school. Well, Perry Central is larger than LCC and they didn't make it. Betsy Layne and Allen Central were both Class A schools and they made it the finals in the 15th. You are right, they have played better in other matches but it is against teams who were competitive and challenged them, not "free-balling" the whole game. "Free-balling" in volleyball is the equivalent to a half-court "stall" in basketball. It will make a match more competitive between two teams but the lesser team will still lose most of the time. If the rest of the 14th region doesn't start developing teams to be more aggressive and attack the ball with sets and spikes, it will be hard for them to be competitive.
When Betty had the program, and now with Dickie, they played with what they had. They do a great job with the feeder program. Remember that one year, we beat a very good Belfry team in the first round, and played a Lexington team very well. We had 11 points in the first set, and 15 points in the second set. We was competitive. We also need not forget last year when we played Russel in the first round. We lost 2 games to 1! Here is the score. 18-25, 25-22, 25-21, and in my opinion that was a really close match. We are getting better, and it is only a matter of time that we can get some breaks and go further in the state. Would love to see a sectional play before the tournament. That would be like baseball use to do. What is everyone thoughts about this?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Will anybody compete with Letcher Central in the 14th in 2010.
Don't think so! They will win another 14th region crown.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:Don't think so! They will win another 14th region crown.
How will they do at state? Assuming hotel reservations have already been made, will you be staying more than one night this year?
BluegrassVolley Wrote:How will they do at state? Assuming hotel reservations have already been made, will you be staying more than one night this year?

Hmm. Has posted only once and that was just to make an insult. Probably not smart enough to post anything with substance or intelligence.
We are the team in the 14th region until someone beats us. That hasn't happen and we just have a good program that can be great if we start knocking off some teams that are a little higher in the top 25.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

they should dominate the 14th again this year. go cougs!
Wonder what kind of schedule Dickie is going to come up with this year?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!