Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell Co. 23 - Jackson Co. 0
Final! Congrats Powell
Good win for the Pirates and their new coach
I'm surprised Powell didn't win by more. I mean, Jackson isn't strong at all. And Powell barely beat them. Wow, looks like Powell is gonna be in for a long season. Well, with their schedule it should be easy to win. The only good team is Breathitt. Whigh we all know who is gonna win that one.
Good way to start! We got to keep it going!
I thought all those Bell Co. fans said Jacksons Co. was going to win? Great win for Coach Burchett. I look for him to have this program headed in the right direction in the next couple of years.
Wow, seriously? Only beat jackson by 23? Well I guess you can say that's good. Jackson wasn't even big. It looked liked they were playing a middle school team. But of course, we're gonna have every powell fan saying how great they did and how awesome they are. Good luck the rest of the season powell. Yout definitely gonna need it.
Luigi#2 Wrote:Wow, seriously? Only beat jackson by 23? Well I guess you can say that's good. Jackson wasn't even big. It looked liked they were playing a middle school team. But of course, we're gonna have every powell fan saying how great they did and how awesome they are. Good luck the rest of the season powell. Yout definitely gonna need it.
I will start by saying that we have a lot of work to do. We will get better. Had we not fumbled so many times, it could have and should have been a lot worse. Fact is though, we fumbled a lot and that is part of the game. I will give us a C-. We got a shutout and had some great looks. We are very young and nobody but the kids in the locker room, coaches, parents, and a few fans gave us any chance. Good job Powell. A win is a win. Margin of victory is soooo overratedTongueirateSho.
blitz43 Wrote:I will start by saying that we have a lot of work to do. We will get better. Had we not fumbled so many times, it could have and should have been a lot worse. Fact is though, we fumbled a lot and that is part of the game. I will give us a C-. We got a shutout and had some great looks. We are very young and nobody but the kids in the locker room, coaches, parents, and a few fans gave us any chance. Good job Powell. A win is a win. Margin of victory is soooo overratedTongueirateSho.

Good Post Blitz, your right a win is a win, wether its by 1 point or 100.
ARe you serious? How do you consider 23 to 0 barely beating someone. Most thought Powell would lose this game. Cut them some slack. Never good enough for some.
Good job Powell, liked what i saw for the first game of the season. Alot of problems, but Coach b will fix those in time. Good W, look past this and prepare for MOrgan Co. b/c that is a step up and your performance friday won't do it against morgan. Time to step it up. Should be another easy W tho.
Here's a big GOOD LUCK to Coach Tony and Powell Co. !!!

Coach Burchett began coaching a LONG time ago at Prestonsburg (his home town) under Phillip Haywood. He then went to Sheldon Clark and Johnson Central under Jim Matney.

He's a well-seasoned coach that knows the game well...
oneijoe Wrote:Here's a big GOOD LUCK to Coach Tony and Powell Co. !!!

Coach Burchett began coaching a LONG time ago at Prestonsburg (his home town) under Phillip Haywood. He then went to Sheldon Clark and Johnson Central under Jim Matney.

He's a well-seasoned coach that knows the game well...

What about Lawrence Co. and Bourbon Co. with Chuke Williams?? Those years forgotten??
Ky313 Wrote:Good job Powell, liked what i saw for the first game of the season. Alot of problems, but Coach b will fix those in time. Good W, look past this and prepare for MOrgan Co. b/c that is a step up and your performance friday won't do it against morgan. Time to step it up. Should be another easy W tho.

Congrats Powell on your win over Jackson co.:Clap:
I heard at one point Jackson got 5 flags in a row threw on them???
I also heard Jackson co. had over 200 yards in penalties???
Can you elaborate on this blitz43? Morgan is in a rebuilding process.
New coaches and new system and I don't think they have won a game in 2 years under they're previous coaching staffs. I do know they got blowed out by a very talented Rowan team and lost in overtime last week. I will promise you Morgan will not be an easy win for Powell at Morgan.
The Blue Blur Wrote:What about Lawrence Co. and Bourbon Co. with Chuke Williams?? Those years forgotten??

Oh boy...my bad. I left out the middle. (I bet Chuke and Bugs both would like to forget the Boubon years as easily as I did earlier)

He started in P-burg and ended at Central before being at Powell. Is that better ? :Thumbs:
Coach Burchett STARTED at Johns Creek High School, then moved on to Prestonsburg, then Sheldon Clark, then Lawrence County (where his abilities to coach the offensive line showed their dominance), then to Bourbon County, then to Johnson Central, and now at Powell County. Lawrence County, Bourbon County and Johnson Central ALL had some of the most highly acclaimed offensive lines and running backs in the state. I look for Powell to have this kind of program buzz within the next 2 years.
coach Burchette is nowhere close to as good of a coach that coach whitaker was...the program was already in the right direction last year as we got our first winning season in history and played a tough schedule to... Good win for powell but jackson was a weak team and powells schedule this year is much weaker than last..i agree that breathitt is really the only team that powell has to play...estill is gonna have a down year..along with every other team they play
POCO HISTORY #70 Wrote:coach Burchette is nowhere close to as good of a coach that coach whitaker was...the program was already in the right direction last year as we got our first winning season in history and played a tough schedule to... Good win for powell but jackson was a weak team and powells schedule this year is much weaker than last..i agree that breathitt is really the only team that powell has to play...estill is gonna have a down year..along with every other team they play

This is the most laughable response I have read on this thread so far. Coach Whitaker is not even in the same league as Coach Burchett. You need to do a little research before you post on here.
If Burchett can get Powells o line to be dominate and i mean blowing everyone off the line, and quick, then Powell will make some noise in the near future. The o line is where it all starts on offense. Then the guy right behind those 5 guys.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:This is the most laughable response I have read on this thread so far. Coach Whitaker is not even in the same league as Coach Burchett. You need to do a little research before you post on here.

Burchett has definately worked with some quality head coaches from solid programs. You cannot compare good assistant coaches to head coaches I.M.O.. To say a long time assistant is in a much higher league than a former head coach who has had success can be described as an ignorant statement at best.
F.N.L. Wrote:Burchett has definately worked with some quality head coaches from solid programs. You cannot compare good assistant coaches to head coaches I.M.O.. To say a long time assistant is in a much higher league than a former head coach who has had success can be described as an ignorant statement at best.

A long time assistant who knows more about the game that 90% of the other head coaches out there. Also, Burchett has been a head coach at 2 other schools. Johns Creek High School and he was the very first coach at Allen Central. He CHOSE to not be a head coach. And yes, he IS in a MUCH higher league than last year's Powell coach. To say a coach is successful for 1 winning season is an ignorant statement. Give Burchett 3 years and you will see success. I have played for him and seen his coaching over the years. He gets everything out of his players. He will turn a mediocre player into a good player. He will turn a good player into a GREAT player. Why else would he have been the line coach for such rushing powerhouses? Sounds like more than just a "good assistant" to me.
F.N.L. Wrote:Congrats Powell on your win over Jackson co.:Clap:
I heard at one point Jackson got 5 flags in a row threw on them???
I also heard Jackson co. had over 200 yards in penalties???
Can you elaborate on this blitz43? Morgan is in a rebuilding process.
New coaches and new system and I don't think they have won a game in 2 years under they're previous coaching staffs. I do know they got blowed out by a very talented Rowan team and lost in overtime last week. I will promise you Morgan will not be an easy win for Powell at Morgan.
FNL. They had 75 yds in penalties. They had 12 men on the field 2 times in a row & a false start during one stretch towards halftime. we had 30 yds in penalties. Even got us for coaches being too close to the sideline...lol. Burchett might have had one foot on the playing surface. Craziness.
POCO HISTORY #70 Wrote:coach Burchette is nowhere close to as good of a coach that coach whitaker was...the program was already in the right direction last year as we got our first winning season in history and played a tough schedule to... Good win for powell but jackson was a weak team and powells schedule this year is much weaker than last..i agree that breathitt is really the only team that powell has to play...estill is gonna have a down year..along with every other team they play
I think Burchett is a very good coach. Whitaker is also a very good coach. They have very different styles. Coach B is awesome at what he does & Coach W is awesome at what he does. I loved coaching with both of em'.TongueirateSho
coach burchette was a offensive line coach last year...ooooooooooooo.he so good...coach whitaker coached the best player to ever come out of kentucky for one...coach whitaker is a real head coach for two...and for three...ive watched some of his practices and talked to players on the team and i can assure after playing for coach whitaker, that hes a much better coach...coach b doesnt even condition his team...he tells the o line to block with their shoulder...its you that needs to do your homework pal
let me get my self straight....i love powell and i want them to win every game no matter wat the opponet..and yes i beleive that coach b is a decent coach...but coach w is better
POCO HISTORY #70 Wrote:coach burchette was a offensive line coach last year...ooooooooooooo.he so good...coach whitaker coached the best player to ever come out of kentucky for one...coach whitaker is a real head coach for two...and for three...ive watched some of his practices and talked to players on the team and i can assure after playing for coach whitaker, that hes a much better coach...coach b doesnt even condition his team...he tells the o line to block with their shoulder...its you that needs to do your homework pal

Coach Burchett (no "e") must not have been the one who was the O-Line coach at Johnson Central last year when they led the nation in rushing yards. He must not be the one who puts in ALL of the blocking schemes to set up the points that are scored. I also guess he's not the one who had state leading rushers at Johnson Central, Bourbon County and Lawrence county. Not just for one or 2 years that he coached at each school, but every year he was at these schools (with MAYBE the exception of Bourbon County 1 year.) You may think Coach Whitaker was a magnificent and wonderful coach, but seriously. He coached a team that up until last season, had never had a winning season. Coach Burchett has rarely ever been involved with a team that even borders .500. Several District and Regional titles under his belt. Several State-Semi appearances. ALL under run oriented teams (With the exception of the 99' LC team where Gerad Parker broke the All Time State Receiving record.) The man knows winning and will bring a winning attitude to Powell County. I know his style and how the man represents his school. Powell Co. is lucky to have such a coach. You will see it within the next 2 seasons. Mark it down. And come on, genious, how else do you block other than with your shoulder? That right there tells me you don't know what you are talking about. You don't block some one with your hands. You lead them with your hands, but you block them with your shoulder. Sounds like someone has the big head due to 1 winning season. Like I said, do some research on some of Burchett's old teams and see what it's going to be like in the future for Powell. A proud, winning school. Not one who is happy at making POCO HISTORY after one winning season. That may seem like a lot to boast about, but sit back and watch your old team become a district competitor. Then we can chat. 2 years, pal. 2 years. Let these YOUNG underclassmen develop under his leadership and you will be looking at a successful football program. Have faith in your program POCO.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:Coach Burchett STARTED at Johns Creek High School, then moved on to Prestonsburg, then Sheldon Clark, then Lawrence County (where his abilities to coach the offensive line showed their dominance), then to Bourbon County, then to Johnson Central, and now at Powell County. Lawrence County, Bourbon County and Johnson Central ALL had some of the most highly acclaimed offensive lines and running backs in the state. I look for Powell to have this kind of program buzz within the next 2 years.

Cool your jets a tad, Mr. S....I GUARANTEE I know Tony better than you. He's family. :popcorn:

(I know Tony started coaching at Johns Creek, but since there it no longer exists, omitted it. He's originally from Prestonsburg, and is a P-burg grad.)
Jets are cool. I was just defending who I think is one of the best (and most underrated) coaches in eastern kentucky. So you are his family? I probably know you. I have been REALLY close to him for a LONG time now and followed his teams.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:Coach Burchett (no "e") must not have been the one who was the O-Line coach at Johnson Central last year when they led the nation in rushing yards. He must not be the one who puts in ALL of the blocking schemes to set up the points that are scored. I also guess he's not the one who had state leading rushers at Johnson Central, Bourbon County and Lawrence county. Not just for one or 2 years that he coached at each school, but every year he was at these schools (with MAYBE the exception of Bourbon County 1 year.) You may think Coach Whitaker was a magnificent and wonderful coach, but seriously. He coached a team that up until last season, had never had a winning season. Coach Burchett has rarely ever been involved with a team that even borders .500. Several District and Regional titles under his belt. Several State-Semi appearances. ALL under run oriented teams (With the exception of the 99' LC team where Gerad Parker broke the All Time State Receiving record.) The man knows winning and will bring a winning attitude to Powell County. I know his style and how the man represents his school. Powell Co. is lucky to have such a coach. You will see it within the next 2 seasons. Mark it down. And come on, genious, how else do you block other than with your shoulder? That right there tells me you don't know what you are talking about. You don't block some one with your hands. You lead them with your hands, but you block them with your shoulder. Sounds like someone has the big head due to 1 winning season. Like I said, do some research on some of Burchett's old teams and see what it's going to be like in the future for Powell. A proud, winning school. Not one who is happy at making POCO HISTORY after one winning season. That may seem like a lot to boast about, but sit back and watch your old team become a district competitor. Then we can chat. 2 years, pal. 2 years. Let these YOUNG underclassmen develop under his leadership and you will be looking at a successful football program. Have faith in your program POCO.

I seem to recall these statements being made previously about Whitaker. Where'd all the faith go in him? Newsflash...it will take more than one coach to change the opinions and attitudes of people in Powell County. It's gonna require change in administration, IMO.

By the way, did you hear about the POCO people dancing in the street again?:Clap:
whatever u say mr sandwich....:lmaoConfusedince hes such a good coach...y did he get destroyed by morgan co. when last year when coach whitaker coached we bet em by 50+...but im done arguing wit u....u have nuttin to argue about..assitant coaches...no matter how good...cannot be brought up in conversations of head coaches I.M.O
i agree with this statement...monroe jones is the big problem of powell co. we need new administrators....great point