Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking Kentucky's last 10 football coaches
http://www.kentucky.com/826/story/845172.html

Kentucky's No. 1 football coach is obvious. Then it gets interesting.

1. Paul Bryant (1946-53; 60-23-5)

Pros: Now considered the greatest college football coach of all time, a then-young Bryant guided the Cats to consecutive New Year's bowl games in the 1949, '50 and '51 seasons. His 1950 team beat Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl, ending OU's 31-game winning streak.

Cons: Left program in part because he felt football played second fiddle to basketball. In his autobiography, Bryant said leaving for Texas A&M was a mistake.

2. Rich Brooks (2003-present; 32-41)

Pros: On a run of three consecutive bowl victories for first time in school history. Assumed a program on probation and provided rare stability. His successor is already in place.

Cons: Has not cracked the Southeastern Conference's glass ceiling. And there are many more bowl games these days than in yesteryear.

3. Jerry Claiborne (1982-89; 41-46-3)

Pros: Claiborne, who played for Bryant at UK, brought discipline and class back to the school's grid program. Went to two bowl games. His 1984 team finished 9-3 after winning Hall of Fame Bowl.

Cons: Results flattened out after bowl victory. Kentucky went 5-6, 5-5-1, 5-6, 5-6 and 6-5 over Caliborne's final five seasons.

4. Blanton Collier (1954-61; 41-36-3)

Pros: The Millersburg native is the only coach besides Bryant to have a winning record at UK, at least since C.A. Wynne (1934-37). Went 5-2-1 in his eight seasons against archrival Tennessee. Collier's 1959 staff included future coaching stars Don Shula, Howard Schnellenberger, Bill Arnsparger, Ermal Allen, John North and Ed Rutledge.

Cons: Never went to a bowl game, and his last three teams went 14-15-1. His contract was not renewed after the 1961 season. Collier returned to the NFL as an assistant, became head coach of the Cleveland Browns in 1963 and captured the NFL championship in 1964.

5. Fran Curci (1973-81; 47-51-2)

Pros: Arrived from Miami and immediately injected the program with excitement. His 1976 team earned the school's first bowl berth in 25 years and capped it off with a 21-0 win over North Carolina in the Peach Bowl. His 1977 team was one of the school's all-time best, going 10-1 and finishing No. 6 in final Associated Press poll.

Cons: That 1977 team missed a bowl game because of probation. Off-the-field incidents piled up in final years, and Curci was forced out after back-to-back 3-8 seasons in 1980 and 1981.

6. Hal Mumme (1997-2000; 20-26)

Pros: Brought much-needed offensive excitement with his Air Raid offense from Division II Valdosta State. His 1998 team went 7-5 and made the school's first New Year's Day bowl appearance — 26-14 loss to Penn State in the Outback Bowl — since 1951. Developed quarterback Tim Couch, the No. 1 pick in the 1999 NFL Draft. And Mumme's 1999 team reached the Music City Bowl.

Cons: Ended short tenure in scandal as team was placed on probation, mainly for violations committed by recruiting coordinator Claude Bassett.

7. Guy Morriss (2001-02; 9-14)

Pros: His 2002 team finished 7-5 and would have made a bowl game had it not been for probation. Brought steadying hand after tumultuous Mumme years.

Cons: Very short stay. Morriss departed after second season for multi-million dollar offer at Baylor.

8. Bill Curry (1990-96; 26-52)

Pros: Former Alabama coach projected scholarly image that fit with what predecessor Claiborne had established. Curry's 1993 team went to Peach Bowl, where it lost 14-13 to Clemson.

Cons: Seven-year stint was marked by various changes in philosophies and coordinators. The 1994 team was among school's all-time worst, going 1-10 and allowing 405 points.

9. Charlie Bradshaw (1962-68; 25-41-4)

Pros: Bryant disciple brought tough-guy image to program, and his 1965 team, which went 6-4, featured Rick Norton, Sam Ball, Rick Kestner and Rodger Bird, among other UK greats.

Cons: Infamous for brutal practices that led to the "Thin Thirty" team in 1962. His '65 team appeared headed to the Cotton Bowl before a 38-21 loss at Houston. Was fired after going 8-21-1 his final three years.

10. John Ray (1969-72; 10-33)

Pros: The former Notre Dame defensive coordinator brought optimism to Lexington. Beat Archie Manning and Mississippi 10-9 in his second game at UK. Was the impetus behind getting Commonwealth Stadium built, but never coached a game there.

Cons: Ray won just 10 games in four seasons. His teams went 2-8, 2-9, 3-8 and 3-8. Won four conference games in four years. A 40-0 loss at Florida in his next-to-last game caused athletics board to vote against renewing his contract.
Think Rich Brooks is going to wait till he gets 61 wins at uk, then he will call it quits?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
How old is he?
Brooks is pretty old. But Dust, I can agree with that list.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
If only the Bear would have stayed. Could you imagine what UK sports would have been like if Bear and Rupp were both 30+ year coaches at UK????
Dust, that would have been incredible!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Adolph was jealous of the bear, and that is the reason he left.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:Adolph was jealous of the bear, and that is the reason he left.

Oh I know. It was no secret that Rupp is the one who ran off the Bear, but just think of what could have been.....
Well I am glad things aren't like that now. I think it would tickle coach cal if the football team had a winning season. Do you think Brooks would break the all time wins at UK before he leaves or do you think he hasn't got the time?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:Well I am glad things aren't like that now. I think it would tickle coach cal if the football team had a winning season. Do you think Brooks would break the all time wins at UK before he leaves or do you think he hasn't got the time?

It would take 3 years of 10 wins. In the SEC, I think that is going to be a stretch. I don't know that coach has more than 3 years left, but I would love to see him be the one.
Even if he got close I think it is achievable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:Adolph was jealous of the bear, and that is the reason he left.
According to his book. The Bear and The Baron were actually good friends later on after the whole "Cigarette Lighter" incident. Rupp would sit in Bryant's private suite when UK played at 'Bama. If Rupp and Bryant couldve coexisted UK wouldve RULED college sports!
Bill Curry is the worst only coach in history that would run the ball up the middle 25 times a game.
I honestly would love to see Coach Brooks break the winning record at UK. But I dont see it happing. Joker Phillips may have a shot at it later when its his turn.
Only 2 coaches have winning records.