Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q&A: Is mourning Jackson like idolizing the Golden Calf?
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/20...ship_N.htm

By Kevin Eckstrom, Religion News Service

When sex symbol Rudolph Valentino died at the age of 31 in 1926, riots broke out as tens of thousands of mourners tried to cram themselves into a public viewing in New York.
It was, says Emory University's Gary Laderman, "a new kind of sacred attachment, one based on fame and looks, personality and stardom." Call it the birth of the First Church of Celebrity Worship.

Laderman's new book, Sacred Matters: Celebrity Worship, Sexual Ecstasies, the Living Dead and Other Signs of Religious Life in the United States, probes America's obsession at the altar of celebrity. Pop icon Michael Jackson's death at age 50, he said, brings that faith into "sharp relief."

FAITH & REASON: More from Laderman on Michael's life as 'morality play'
TIMELINE: Video and images through the life of Michael Jackson
IN APPRECIATION: King of Pop's artistic legacy spans decades

Q: If Michael Jackson was the king of pop, is this going to be the mother of all funerals?

A: That's hard to say. It's already unfolding like other celebrity deaths that rocked the world —Princess Diana and Elvis. I don't think it's going to break the mold, but (it) certainly will bring into sharp relief the kind of devotion and investment people have made in this kind of celebrity.

Q: The public grief over Jackson is obviously a reaction to his death, but you seem to argue that it's a sign of life for a different kind of American religion. What do you mean?

A: This brings out what people understand to be sacred. Celebrity, and the response to the death of a celebrity, is a source of sacred life for many people. When you go outside of the normal conventional religious places, you see other signs of religious life that are usually tied to ideas of the sacred.

Q: Jackson died at 50, and Farah Fawcett at a relatively young 62 — does that make them particular kinds of pop culture martyrs, dying before their time?

A: The impact is much stronger because they died young and the public didn't see them age. I don't think that aging necessarily diminishes the power of celebrity, but it's a different response than when someone like Ed McMahon dies who has lived a full life.

Q: You write that "celebrity icons arouse the religious passions of followers ... who find spiritual meaning, personal fulfillment and awe-inspiring motivation in the presence of these idols." Tell me more.

A: When you look around and see how people invest in these idols — and I'm using a broad understanding of investment — it's also a spiritual investment. It's more than just material, or financial. People draw from that spiritual connection notions of identity, a sense of the sacred, the potential for transformation, a set of moral values, the sense of possibility of transcendence or overcoming the limitations of life. Whether in traditional religion or pop culture, you find the same kind of motivation, the same kind of meaning-making, through celebrity.

Q: So it's about more than just buying their CDs or watching their films.

A: Yes, you could say that, but the material artifacts — the means of communication, the forms of community — are also very powerful.
All I know is that I really wouldn't be surprised at anything that happens at the funeral or what it looks like (decor or the crowd.) I'm curious as to what happens to Neverland Ranch also.
thetribe Wrote:All I know is that I really wouldn't be surprised at anything that happens at the funeral or what it looks like (decor or the crowd.) I'm curious as to what happens to Neverland Ranch also.

I was rather surprised at the size of the James Brown memorial. I just can't imagine what this will wind up being.

I feel confident that Neverland will be a tourist attraction, just as Graceland turned into. Similar reasons as Elvis, the Jackson family will need to cover the debt that Michael had reportedly accrued, thus my guess is that they will use Neverland as an opportunity to recover those loses as well as provide a secure future for Michaels children.
That's a good idea Stardust. I really hadn't thought of it in terms of that. Since you mentioned children, have you heard that Micheal's children aren't actually his?
thetribe Wrote:That's a good idea Stardust. I really hadn't thought of it in terms of that. Since you mentioned children, have you heard that Micheal's children aren't actually his?

What! No, I have not heard that. Seriously?
thetribe Wrote:That's a good idea Stardust. I really hadn't thought of it in terms of that. Since you mentioned children, have you heard that Micheal's children aren't actually his?

What??!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
I had heard on the news that they were going to do a DNA test because they thought, though the kids were conceived through artificial insemination, that they were not biologically Jackson's children. It was just a sham really.
I don't think Michael owed Neverland anymore. The news reported that some investors bought it to save it from foreclosure. I think he paid rent.
Quote:Foreclosure proceedings commenced against Neverland Ranch on October 22, 2007.[6][7] However, a spokeswoman for Jackson said that the loan was merely being refinanced.[8]

On February 25, 2008, Jackson received word from Financial Title Company, the trustee, that unless he paid off $24,525,906.61 by March 19, a public auction would go forward of the land, buildings, and other items such as the rides, trains, and art.[9][10] On March 13, 2008, Londell McMillan, Jackson's lawyer, announced that a private agreement had been reached with the private investment group, Fortress Investment, to save Jackson's ownership of the ranch.[11] Before the agreement, Jackson owed three months' arrears on the property.[11] McMillan did not reveal the details of the deal.

On May 12, 2008, a foreclosure auction for the ranch was canceled after an investment company, Colony Capital LLC, purchased the loan. Jackson was in default on the $24.5 million owed on the 2,500-acre (10 km2) property.[12] In a press release, Jackson stated, "I am pleased with recent developments involving Neverland Ranch and I am in discussions with Colony and Tom Barrack with regard to the Ranch and other matters that would allow me to focus on the future."[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverland_Ranch
Whoever owns it is set to make some money. I think that I had read in a tabloid magazine that it was up for sale quite some time ago, I figured some celebrity would buy it and change it up a bit.
thetribe Wrote:Whoever owns it is set to make some money. I think that I had read in a tabloid magazine that it was up for sale quite some time ago, I figured some celebrity would buy it and change it up a bit.
They should name "West Graceland". Elvis was Micheals Father in law for a time LOL!
thetribe Wrote:I had heard on the news that they were going to do a DNA test because they thought, though the kids were conceived through artificial insemination, that they were not biologically Jackson's children. It was just a sham really.

I had never heard this until you stated this tribe, then last night on CNN they began speaking about this. This was a big surprise to me.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:They should name "West Graceland". Elvis was Micheals Father in law for a time LOL!

What a hoot, I had forgot all about that. Great point! :biggrin:
TheRealVille Wrote:I don't think Michael owed Neverland anymore. The news reported that some investors bought it to save it from foreclosure. I think he paid rent.

thetribe Wrote:Whoever owns it is set to make some money. I think that I had read in a tabloid magazine that it was up for sale quite some time ago, I figured some celebrity would buy it and change it up a bit.

I am still hopeful that this will used toward some type of charity purpose. We all know that it will rank up there with Disneyland as attractions in S. California. Let the money be used for something good.
The way he spent money that he may have not had, for a while the Neverland attraction will probably be used to pay off his debt. I'm not sure if he would have had a will drawn up to say exactly where his money went, I would imagine that his kids would receive enough to sustain them a lifetime and hopefully the overseers of his profits would see to it that some be donated to charities that he supported in his lifetime.
In my opinion when a celeb dies it gets blown out of proportion bad. Even though Michael was famous or whatever he still put his pants on the same way everyone else did. IMO, he wasn't anything special to the world, just in a lot of peoples eyes. I could get into a big spiritual conversation about how ridiculous this is, but I'm not going to.. All I'm going to say is it doesn't phase me in the least that this guy died. We all do. He was 50, which is relatively young but oh well. No big deal
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.