Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campbell Co. 40 - Ryle 36
Very nice win for the struggling Camels. Looks like Nerl was back healthy. This game came down to the wire with the Camels pulling it out in the last 30 seconds
Wow! Big win for Campbell Co. I guess Coach Code woke the boys up after the 45 point beating they took by Scott Co. earlier this week.

Ryle has been struggling to score points this year. Coach Mullins has always focused on defense, but he has some talented players that can put some points on the board, I don't understand why he doesn't turn them loose? I'm sure he has his reasons but 36 points is not much for a high school game.
goodguy Wrote:Wow! Big win for Campbell Co. I guess Coach Code woke the boys up after the 45 point beating they took by Scott Co. earlier this week.

Ryle has been struggling to score points this year. Coach Mullins has always focused on defense, but he has some talented players that can put some points on the board, I don't understand why he doesn't turn them loose? I'm sure he has his reasons but 36 points is not much for a high school game.

Take in consideration the loss to Holmes and Newport prodeing the SC game, not only did the Camels need a win, they needed a quality win. This came on Ryle's home court which is very big for the Camels
cincinnati.com

By Ryan Ernst • [email]rernst@enquirer.com[/email] • February 21, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type: A A • Click-2-Listen

Heading down the stretch of the regular season, nobody could say the Campbell County boys' basketball team hadn't been tested. Back-to-back games against the only teams to be ranked No. 1 in the state this season - on their home courts - will measure the mettle of any squad.

What the Camels needed heading into their regular-season finale at Ryle was a victory and some momentum heading into the district tournament.

Campbell County, ranked seventh in the Enquirer's Northern Kentucky coaches' poll, got just that, beating the fifth-ranked Raiders 40-36 on Friday night. The win snapped a three-game losing streak that included a 62-49 loss at Holmes (the team ranked No. 1 in the state most of the season) and a 74-29 setback at Scott County (the team that recently supplanted Holmes for the top spot).

"Those were both pretty tough losses for us," said Campbell County forward Ben Franzen. "For us to come in here and get a good team win at Ryle on their Senior Night was great for us heading into the districts."

Franzen came up big for the Camels in the game's frantic final minutes. With 1:43 to play he made a layup to give Campbell County a 37-36 lead. On Ryle's ensuing possession Franzen then came up with a steal. After the Raiders came up with a defensive stop they ran the clock to six seconds before Clay Coleman shot an open 3-pointer from the corner. The shot was off the mark.

"It was a great look," Ryle coach Alan Mullins said. "If you've got the game on the line, that's not a bad look to get. We just didn't knock it down."

Campbell County guard Jordan Smith grabbed the long rebound and raced downcourt, making an acrobatic reverse layup and picking up a foul with 2.1 seconds remaining.

"I was actually thinking about pulling it out," Smith said. "Then I saw coach on the sideline telling me to go. I just took it to the rim and it went in."

Smith, who scored six of his team-high nine points in the game's final four minutes, then made his free throw to ice the game and give Campbell County a much-needed victory heading into next week's first-round 37th District tournament game against Bishop Brossart. The Camels are 2-0 against Brossart this season.

Campbell County coach Scott Code, whose brother Mike coaches Brossart, said that matchup will be difficult on a number of levels.

"It's never fun going against your brother," he said. "But it's great for the rivalry and it should be a great atmosphere. It's going to be a tough one."

For the Raiders, the loss snapped a four-game winning streak. They'll play Conner in the first round of next week's 33rd District tournament.

"We're going to take this and make it into a positive," Mullins said. "We have to understand that if we don't play with full-speed energy on the offensive end, Conner is going to whip us."

Ryle struggled offensively for most of Friday's game. Leading 13-10 midway through the second quarter, the Raiders went cold. The Camels responded with a 15-2 run that gave them a 25-15 third-quarter lead.

They led until Ryle scored three unanswered baskets to take a 36-35 lead with 2:04 to play.

Ryle's Bobby Stauffer led all scorers with 10 points.

Campbell County (16-10): Jolly 3 2 8, Neises 1 0 3, Nerl 2 3 8, Smith 3 3 9, Albrecht 4 0 8, Franzen 1 2 4. Totals 14 10 40.

Ryle (16-9): Butts 1 0 2, McLeish 2 2 6, Russell 2 0 4, Coleman 3 2 8, Stauffer 4 2 10, Lamping 1 1 3, Nichols 1 1 3. Totals 14 8 36.

Campbell County 10 4 13 13 -40
Ryle 5 8 9 14 -36
3-pointers: CC 2 (Neises, Nerl); R 0.
This win is huge for the Camels. Hopefully this will give them a little momentum for thier huge district game versus Brossart. Good luck Camels.
Rob Van Winkle Wrote:This win is huge for the Camels. Hopefully this will give them a little momentum for thier huge district game versus Brossart. Good luck Camels.

I agree completely with this. The Camels were desparate for a win of any kind. Ryle presented similar challenges to the Camels last night that they have struggled with over the last few games, yet they came out on top.

The Camel/Brossart match-up Wednesday will be a real togh game. the Camels are coming into it healthy, which has been a concern over the last week.

Last night was a true test against a very solid team.
Great job by the Camels to show mental toughness at the end when needed.