Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 85 - Paintsville 59
The reason it's no longer the rivalry it was is because your biggest loss from last year wasn't Slone or Grimm or Vanhoose.

It was BMR.

You can replace players. You can't replace THAT. And you KNOW it.

This team will never be the same again without him. Just like JC's girls won't be the same without Wireman, just like JC football won't be the same without Matney, just like PHS baseball isn't without Adkins, and so on and so forth. Coaches make programs legendary, period. Do you think a player like Landon Slone, for example, moves from Floyd County to play for a coach who isn't BMR? Especially now that he could move the OTHER way down 23 and play for a state contender at Valley? Negative, Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

Will Ratliff or McKenzie one day be great coaches? Who knows? But for now, neither one of them is BMR, and these are going to remain two pretty average mountain ball teams until either one coach learns greatness or one school goes out and hires some greatness.
Monster Man I too am an Eagle fan, but you are clueless on what goes on here. We have a good idea who you are and everyone thinks your a loser and would trade you off in a heartbeat if you would just leave. Speak for yourself and quit making refernce too all of us, because all of us don't feel anything like you and are tired of being made out as dumb -----. From now on just say this is one Eagle fans opinion and one Eagle fan only! Remember you don't have an entourage, it's just you.
MonsterMan Wrote:Good post. The day when the football program set their sights higher than beating P'ville the program moved on. Look for this to happen in basketball. The pep rallys have been more of a P'ville thing and the P'ville top 10 lists posted on cars has to be the worst thing ever done. Everyone knows it was done with the help of P'ville parents, class act. JC fans support their team so a big crowd is not a big deal. All the past P'ville glory is nice to brag about, but it will not score any points in games now. If you want to think the rivalry is there, go on, do not look for the JC fans to be there, we are looking at a different goal now.

Whether you want to acknowledge there is a rivalry or not, the majority of JC fans sure think there is one. Anyway, JC can't do anything in basketball in the future without going through Paintsville and I can guarantee you that they won't dominate no matter what they set their sights on. Both schools will have their up and downs years, but just because BMR retired and Paintsville lost 6 seniors and all starters, don't think the basketball program is done. That is comical. And as for those JC fans you claim show up for every game in large numbers, I haven't seen them at many away games, some not very far away. But the gym is packed when Paintsville and JC plays. So I think you stand alone in your opinions! you sound like a guy who is still bitter from 4 losses last year and now that Paintsville has a down year you want to act like JC has moved on. You won't be taking that approach in a year or two. As for the lists, they are done by both schools in case you aren't aware and JC's is every much as bad as Paintsville's. If adults are involved, then they shouldn't be. But the JC pep rally was an official school event and not very mature! Anyway, we all found humor in it though. Lastly, if YOU think JC has moved on to whatever you think they have moved on to, then quit posting on this thread. Otherwise, you are still flaming the fires of rivalry!!!Big Grin
I'm still trying to figure out how people are getting to the conclusion that there isn't a rivalry anymore. I mean, I know that the Apple Bowl really lit a fire in both schools, and it carried on throughout basketball, and even sometimes baseball, but to say there is no more rivalry because of the Apple Bowl being done away with? That's ridiculous. Throughout the years, JC and Paintsville have exchanged wins back and forth, and some years would go by where neither team would beat the other all year long in basketball. That's just the case this year. Who knows? Next year MIGHT be different, I haven't really looked that far ahead, so I'm not going to sit here and act like I know what I'm talking about and saying one team will dominate the other. The bottom line is that these two schools are separated by less than 2 miles. And until the day that either of these schools are out of existence, the rivalry will always be there. To say that JC has moved on, and that they don't even see a rivalry anymore is just a matter of opinion. Obviously it comes from people who know nothing about the history of one of the greatest rivalries in the state of Kentucky. The crowd seemed pretty interested in the games this year, for both boys and girls. I've been to JC games when they don't play Paintsville, and the crowd for the Paintsville-JC games this year were bigger than the typical crowds, so, SOME people obviously still think the rivalry is there, or they wouldn't show up for it. JC won the series this year, and rightly so. They've got an excellent basketball team. The Tigers are rebuilding this year, and everyone knew it. After focusing the last 5 years on one group of seniors Paintsville really didn't have a lot to work with. The Tigers will be back up, maybe not next year, or the year after, but they will be back up to "Paintsville" status. We'll see if the rivalry is still there when that day rolls around. I gotta good feeling it will be there. And more lively than ever.
After all the post it still is the P'ville fans that want the rivarly so keep it! Big E I for one Eagle fan want to look on down the line, and guess what, I am not alone like you would think.

Time will tell what will happen. Good luck to both teams in the District!
MonsterMan Wrote:After all the post it still is the P'ville fans that want the rivarly so keep it! Big E I for one Eagle fan want to look on down the line, and guess what, I am not alone like you would think.

Time will tell what will happen. Good luck to both teams in the District!

When you look down the road, what do you see. Are you going to change district's so you don't have to play one another. Tell me how you're going to avoid each other.
By the way, do you know the history between the two schools? Which school has the most win in the series? Which team has won the most consecutive games? I'm just curious. I've watched most every game since JC became a school and both teams have had a lot of success at the other teams weaknesses. It's a cycle, both teams will have a good run every now and then. I think you need to study the history of both teams before you look very far down the road, because most people like the rivalry.
Diogenes Wrote:The reason it's no longer the rivalry it was is because your biggest loss from last year wasn't Slone or Grimm or Vanhoose.

It was BMR.

You can replace players. You can't replace THAT. And you KNOW it.

This team will never be the same again without him. Just like JC's girls won't be the same without Wireman, just like JC football won't be the same without Matney, just like PHS baseball isn't without Adkins, and so on and so forth. Coaches make programs legendary, period. Do you think a player like Landon Slone, for example, moves from Floyd County to play for a coach who isn't BMR? Especially now that he could move the OTHER way down 23 and play for a state contender at Valley? Negative, Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

Will Ratliff or McKenzie one day be great coaches? Who knows? But for now, neither one of them is BMR, and these are going to remain two pretty average mountain ball teams until either one coach learns greatness or one school goes out and hires some greatness.
I agree somewhat with that but I played way before Bill Mike ever became coach at Paintsville. Actually I played against Bill Mike. Over the span of my 4 years playing in high school we were defeated by Paintsville only one time. I played at a time when it was utter dominance by Johnson Central teams over Paintsville teams, but it was still a very intense rivalry even with those results, so it has not always been a reason of Bill Mike being the coach as a basis for an existing rivalry. Seeing that the two schools are just about a half mile apart and each team is comprised of friends and family members that occasionaly change uniform colors it will always be a rivalry. It cant help but be one.

I dont have a clue where you are coming from Monster Man, basketball is not a class system sport. Johnson Central will still have to get by Paintsville to ever advance to the regional tournament. Not understanding what you are getting at when you say we are looking farther down the road. Apparently as others have said, you may not be very familiar with the history of the two schools or completely understand how basketball goes through talent cycles on a routine basis.
Kimball---I agree with your previous post. Also think Monster Man is probably a kid (ms/hs) age who doesn't have a personal recollection of the JC/Paintsville rivalry over the past few decades.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Whether you want to acknowledge there is a rivalry or not, the majority of JC fans sure think there is one. Anyway, JC can't do anything in basketball in the future without going through Paintsville and I can guarantee you that they won't dominate no matter what they set their sights on. Both schools will have their up and downs years, but just because BMR retired and Paintsville lost 6 seniors and all starters, don't think the basketball program is done. That is comical. And as for those JC fans you claim show up for every game in large numbers, I haven't seen them at many away games, some not very far away. But the gym is packed when Paintsville and JC plays. So I think you stand alone in your opinions! you sound like a guy who is still bitter from 4 losses last year and now that Paintsville has a down year you want to act like JC has moved on. You won't be taking that approach in a year or two. As for the lists, they are done by both schools in case you aren't aware and JC's is every much as bad as Paintsville's. If adults are involved, then they shouldn't be. But the JC pep rally was an official school event and not very mature! Anyway, we all found humor in it though. Lastly, if YOU think JC has moved on to whatever you think they have moved on to, then quit posting on this thread. Otherwise, you are still flaming the fires of rivalry!!!Big Grin

I think this might be the best post ever here on BGR............SERIOUSLY. :Clap:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I agree somewhat with that but I played way before Bill Mike ever became coach at Paintsville. Actually I played against Bill Mike. Over the span of my 4 years playing in high school we were defeated by Paintsville only one time. I played at a time when it was utter dominance by Johnson Central teams over Paintsville teams, but it was still a very intense rivalry even with those results, so it has not always been a reason of Bill Mike being the coach as a basis for an existing rivalry. Seeing that the two schools are just about a half mile apart and each team is comprised of friends and family members that occasionaly change uniform colors it will always be a rivalry. It cant help but be one

My point was that BMR is such a polarizing figure in the rivalry. Anytime in the last 20 years that JC and PHS have taken the basketball floor, BMR has been the most important person on the floor. You either love him or you despise him, but you cannot ignore him. He was the reason for much of the intense passion on both sides and for many reasons. It'll always be a rivalry, I agree, but it loses some luster without his presence.
Diogenes Wrote:My point was that BMR is such a polarizing figure in the rivalry. Anytime in the last 20 years that JC and PHS have taken the basketball floor, BMR has been the most important person on the floor. You either love him or you despise him, but you cannot ignore him. He was the reason for much of the intense passion on both sides and for many reasons. It'll always be a rivalry, I agree, but it loses some luster without his presence.

I can go along with that. No doubt Bill Mike's intense hatred for JC was the driving force behind the passion that was exemplified by fans from both schools and fueled a lot of the dramatics to a large degree.