Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry -49 Prestonsburg -7
Congrats to Belfry on a big win over a rival. I've heard talks of Ashland adding Belfry to the schedule in the next few seasons. I sure would like to see some of those games if it comes true.
Well as always I'd like to congratulate Belfry on a great win. Boy they are still a powerhouse no matter who they lose to graduation. Prestonsburg did manage to keep it close in the first half only being down by 2 TD's, but Belfry came out with a fire lit in the second half and man-handled P-burg. One thing I wish is that Prestonsburg players and coaching staff would have the sportsmanship that Belfry has. This group is as respectable as they come. Belfry had the ball with over 2 minutes to go in the game at the P-burg 10 yard line, and instead of scoring again, Haywood calls for a knee to end the game. That is classy and very respectable. My hats off to the Pirates like always and will be behind them 100% in route to a 3-peat. I'd love to see em do it and they have the talent to make it that far.
If I was Prestonsburg, I might consider losing to Shelby Valley just so I could get this season over with and save themselves embarrassment in the playoffs, especially when they would more than likely have to travel to Leslie Co. for their first round game. Very disappointing to see such a good team in the past (Prestonsburg) be this bad. Maybe in a few years when our freshman become upper classman we could compete, but until then it will be like this.
Anyways congrats again Belfry on a good win. And nice to meet you Mr. I. You're a very fine person. Can't wait to meet some more of the Belfry crew.
HappyGilmore Wrote:No disrepect intended, but Maynard, Corey Chapman, Aaron Chapman, Justin Gooslin, and Tommy Ray Church are what makes this team go. Dustin May has a vital part, but on both sides of the ball the above mentioned guys are what makes it happen.

BTW.....Dustin is just a sophomore, and he is still learning defensively and you can tell it. Next year I expect to see him and a few others come along and really make a name for themselves (May is/will be a stud), but the leaders are the guys I just mentioned, IMO.

That's ok....Im sure you know the team better than I do. I have only seen them play once this year.
blackcatfan4life Wrote:Well as always I'd like to congratulate Belfry on a great win. Boy they are still a powerhouse no matter who they lose to graduation. Prestonsburg did manage to keep it close in the first half only being down by 2 TD's, but Belfry came out with a fire lit in the second half and man-handled P-burg. One thing I wish is that Prestonsburg players and coaching staff would have the sportsmanship that Belfry has. This group is as respectable as they come. Belfry had the ball with over 2 minutes to go in the game at the P-burg 10 yard line, and instead of scoring again, Haywood calls for a knee to end the game. That is classy and very respectable. My hats off to the Pirates like always and will be behind them 100% in route to a 3-peat. I'd love to see em do it and they have the talent to make it that far.
If I was Prestonsburg, I might consider losing to Shelby Valley just so I could get this season over with and save themselves embarrassment in the playoffs, especially when they would more than likely have to travel to Leslie Co. for their first round game. Very disappointing to see such a good team in the past (Prestonsburg) be this bad. Maybe in a few years when our freshman become upper classman we could compete, but until then it will be like this.
Anyways congrats again Belfry on a good win. And nice to meet you Mr. I. You're a very fine person. Can't wait to meet some more of the Belfry crew.

Thanks for the sentiment man. This is a great post....:Thumbs:
And nice to meet you Mr. I. You're a very fine person. Can't wait to meet some more of the Belfry crew.[/QUOTE]

it was good meeting you too man...i really enjoyed seeing you guys:thumb: :rock:
I was there...I sat beside Balla... I don't know if anyone knew it was me or not...I didn't really say anything...but BCF4L it was nice to meet ya or at least shake your hand...lol
My thoughts:
- Belfry is in an entirely seperate class than Pburg this year in talent, team speed, lineplay, and heart.
- Micah Johnson might be the best college prospect in 2A football... but pound for pound I would have to list Matt Maynard in the same category as best "player". The kid has scored TD's running the ball, catching the ball, intercepting the ball, returning kickoffs, returning punts, and he scored a two point conversion vs. Pike Central on a botched extra point. Also, since Pikeville there has been ZERO pass attempts his way and defsnively he is a true headhunter. He truly is our superstar this year and alot of people won't see it in that stats but he also returned a second punt for a TD (and boy was it a beautiful return) but it was called out of bounds.
-Our offensive line can totally take over a game when they want to...this line is better than last year's at this point in time.
- When Jordan Phillips takes his time and doesn't panic he is a stellar QB. There were three passes that were BEAUTIFUL... there were a couple reads he made that were gorgeous as well on the option. BUT, he also had plays where he paniced or he totally msiread the play.
- Ironton will be our measuring stick.
- I think there are the two catalysts as to why Pburg is considered dirty. 80% of the cheapshots or late htis I saw by Pburg were committed by those two.
-Nick Bowe needs to be our other starting DB in place of Epling..he played HUGE tonight.
-Bobby Burton disrupted Pburg on numerous occasions at NG..I REALLY am impressed by this kid.
- Dustin still has to lower his shoulders more when he runs... and Corey Chapman needs to go to the same speed camp that Doug went to so he can get a second gear. Corey's first step is fast and devastating but he doens't have that second gear such as Maynard posesses.
- Our LB's still have to work on fighting off blocks and keeping contain...and our tackling looked spotty at times.
orisonspi Wrote:- I think there are the two catalysts as to why Pburg is considered dirty. 80% of the cheapshots or late htis I saw by Pburg were committed by those two.
Peters had always been a good sport and I had bragged on him and how I liked to watch him play and tonight watched the game I was literally disappointed to see him push, shove, and just overall disrespect the Pirates. They were classy enough to do fight back and take knees and everything yet this Blackcat along with Shafer had no respect.
Congrats to Belfry all the way to state
[QUOTE="orisonspi"]
There are the two catalysts as to why Pburg is considered dirty. 80% of the cheapshots or late htis I saw by Pburg were committed by those two.

That was uncalled for ospy....you dont need to call out players names and numbers why not just say Pburg is a disrespectful team all together if your gonna talk about a team?
This is a warning ospy no need to call players out....PRESTONSBURG is a TEAM not 2 players......:Thumbs:
Nobody on here should be calling out just certain players from the teams to talk bad about them.. if you have something disrespectful to say it shouldn't be said on here.. there was late hits from both teams and from more than 2 players.. so from now on don't mention players names when they're not the ONLY ones doing it
yea really just say the team
TT PM me and ill let ya know about the gaming
both teams had plenty of late hits..
This years Belfry team isn't at the same level as last years team.
johnsmith Wrote:This years Belfry team isn't at the same level as last years team.

No, but they are farther along at this point than I thought they would be, and seeing how everything else in AA is playing out at this point they have just as good a chance as anyone else on this side to make it to Papa John's Stadium again.

IMO, the biggest obstacle will be the Red Devils of Russell in the state-semi. I'm starting to believe it will happen, too.:bounce: :wenumber1
wow, i dont kno where to start on this game..........:lame: in every aspect of the game was Pburg. Belfry did anything and everything they wanted to do all night long. Matt Maynard is one of the better speed RB's in AA. Prestonsburg's defense is probably one of the worst in AA. Prestonsburg still has no heart, even for Belfry, it's sad when a Pburg team still refuses to get pumped up, especially for a game as big as Belfry. I noticed where somebody singled out 2 players for playing dirty on here earlier, how would you feel if you were the only 2 players on a team that were playing hard and nobody else on your team was?? I dont much blame them, they are trying everything they can in order to get the other 9 players on the field to play and want to win. Good game by the Pirates, Haywood is still one of the top 3 coaches I have ever seen. This pretty much finishes Prestonsburg off this year, but good luck to Belfry in the playoff's, bring another home to the mountains.
I was the one who called them out and I stand by what I said,,,, I don't wanna change this topic into a debate over this but there was one comment I feel has to be addressed:

" I dont much blame them, they are trying everything they can in order to get the other 9 players on the field to play and want to win"
- For those who became uppity about me caling out the two players this is a FAR more insulting comment. AT NO POINT should playing dirty be justified,,,especially by saying they are doing it to fire up their team.
Back to the topic:

I knew Pburg was in for a long night during warm-ups. When Belfry came onto the field Pburg seemingly stopped everything they were doing and turned around and watched the Pirates. You could tell this wasn't your typical Blackcat team, they were intimidated.

Also, the Pburg QB is going to be a solid talent eventually.... but they ahve got to develop some receivers for him and the line has got to protect better. I don't care how good of a QB you are you lose over half of your accuracy when you have to throw across your body on the move.

Belfry has a legit shot at making Louisville. I like our secondary this year and our defensive line is very quick and disruptive. Leslie County should be our only test in the region but I think the Eagles are a team who has already peaked. I also think that Russell is notthe team they have been made out to be... offensively we are not nearly as exposive as last year but we are solid. I also feel the O-line is a better unit this year than last year and that Phillips is a more dangerous threat than Warren at this point in time.
Whats wrong with Pburg this year?
ospi, I was in no way condoning the "dirty" play that occurred from Pburg. I was talking about playing with a fire and a passion, which can get frustrating and develop into dirty play when less than half of the team plays with that fire. I also noticed the dirty play during this game, and I think it should be and will be evaluated by coach derossett and handled accordingly. Prestonsburg usually gets the rep for being the "bad, dirty" kids and all this other garbage, but these kids arent used to getting blown out every game, and i think we forget that they are all still kids, 15-18 years old, and yes they have hormones and alot of emotions. I played for Pburg last year and everybody from Belfry knows that when we played it was gonna be a good, hard fought, CLEAN football game. I am just glad nobody got hurt because I was truely insulted by Pburg's dirty play vs Belfry. I would complain about the refs lack of involvement but i'm sure they wanted to get out of there ASAP because it was a blow out, but someone could have been injured. I would just like for you to cut them a little slack, they are having a bad year and they honestly dont have a clue what to do about it. Belfry and Coach Haywood always win like true champions and have never been sore or cocky winners, I have the ultimate amount of respect for Haywood and Belfry for this, and i'm sure they understand the frustration. So to sum it up, I dont condone or respect this type of play from Pburg's players, but somehow I understand it and it doesnt bother me as much as it would if Pburg was 7-1 instead of 1-7.
Well put RB.