Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Owsley County 69 Powell County 56
Owsley wins a district game on the road.

I don't have any info on it, but the 56th seeds so this is an important win for them.
was this boys and when was it played?
courtdog Wrote:was this boys and when was it played?
Girls game played Saturday in Stanton.
What happened to those Lady Pirates that supposed to contend for the 14th region title. HAHAHAHA.. I guess reality has set in 2 weeks into the season! And this was a home game, no excuses in this one. Nice win for the Lady Owls.
As I said in a earlier post this season Powell Co. is in need of a change at Head Coach. Powell Co. has several good ball players and a strong middle school team coming up in the next couple of years but if they don't change something quick then its all going to go to waste. The girls playing now just seem to quit after they get down by 5 or 6 pts. It doesn't seem like Jones keeps his teams in to good of shape they always lose most of their games in the 4th.
Can any of you Powell Co. people tell the rest of us why their is such strong ties to coach Jones that they wont make a change. They don't have any problems making changes to the boys coaching job thats for sure.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:What happened to those Lady Pirates that supposed to contend for the 14th region title. HAHAHAHA.. I guess reality has set in 2 weeks into the season! And this was a home game, no excuses in this one. Nice win for the Lady Owls.
And I am one of those that had the Lady Pirates as contenders. Evidently Powell is not as good as projected, and Owsley may be a little better than many thought. They may be the best team in that district after all is said and done in March.
Reds#1Fan Wrote:As I said in a earlier post this season Powell Co. is in need of a change at Head Coach. Powell Co. has several good ball players and a strong middle school team coming up in the next couple of years but if they don't change something quick then its all going to go to waste. The girls playing now just seem to quit after they get down by 5 or 6 pts. It doesn't seem like Jones keeps his teams in to good of shape they always lose most of their games in the 4th.
Can any of you Powell Co. people tell the rest of us why their is such strong ties to coach Jones that they wont make a change. They don't have any problems making changes to the boys coaching job thats for sure.

I don't know if they are kin;but;the AD is also a Jones.Confusedhh:
Did anyone mention that Kendra McFarland got hurt during the game (ankle) and did not play most of the second quarter and the whole second half? which helped Owsley dominate the paint scoring? It seems Owsley is better than many on here projected.
Reds#1Fan Wrote:As I said in a earlier post this season Powell Co. is in need of a change at Head Coach. Powell Co. has several good ball players and a strong middle school team coming up in the next couple of years but if they don't change something quick then its all going to go to waste. The girls playing now just seem to quit after they get down by 5 or 6 pts. It doesn't seem like Jones keeps his teams in to good of shape they always lose most of their games in the 4th.

I agree they may need a change Jones has done all he can.
Is McFarland alright??
Tough loss for the Lady Pirates. I had them taking this one easily....Good Job Owls!
Congrats OC.
I agree that Powell County has a very strong middle school team coming up. I don't think people want to hear about them because they are 7th graders but you just wait and watch these girls. Right now there are 3 of them sitting on Coach Jones' bench. One 7th grader is a point guard, one can shoot the 3 or drive inside and has the body and build to do it, and the other is to be playing soon after she gets her cast off of her foot and she is very strong on defense. They blend in very well with the high school team. All these girls need is a vote of confidence and you would be surprised at how they can play ball. They are fun to watch and they can add so much to this high school team.
On the other hand I just can't understand with the talent on the high school team what is wrong with them. They actually just gave up in the championship game against Deming on Monday night in Bath Co.
they were missing their best player...could have something to do with it.
For U Wrote:I agree that Powell County has a very strong middle school team coming up. I don't think people want to hear about them because they are 7th graders but you just wait and watch these girls. Right now there are 3 of them sitting on Coach Jones' bench. One 7th grader is a point guard, one can shoot the 3 or drive inside and has the body and build to do it, and the other is to be playing soon after she gets her cast off of her foot and she is very strong on defense. They blend in very well with the high school team. All these girls need is a vote of confidence and you would be surprised at how they can play ball. They are fun to watch and they can add so much to this high school team.
On the other hand I just can't understand with the talent on the high school team what is wrong with them. They actually just gave up in the championship game against Deming on Monday night in Bath Co.

they may be good but they don't have the experience to play in a varsity game.
I agree they don't have the experience yet, but they are going to be a great asset to this team in the next few years. It is helping these young girls by just practicing with Barnett, S. Rogers and McFarland.
Barnett is good and so is S. Rogers.
wow they are getting as bad as the boys basketball team. sad year for both teams if you ask me.
One of the 7th graders is Stevie Rogers sister and you know how good she is. Hope she is like her sister.
Nice win for Owsley