Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Playing District Opponents This Early?
What's everyones thoughts on playing district opponents this early in the basketball season?

I honestly don't like it, because I'd like for my team to be playing at there best when they play against district opponents. Plus it may hurt a teams chances at going to a region tournament by playing someone in district that they may be overmatched with.
I think that you should not play district games until January, that way everyone can have everything worked out and be playing good ball.
I think playing District games should not be played until around late December or early January. This gives teams time to get things going in the right direction and also gives football players a chance to adapt to basketball season. In the end these teams that are "football schools" suffer from these early district games if there basketball teams lose while they are still in the playoffs. Everyone knows how important these district games are at the end of the year and it is crucial to have the best players available for these games. A good example of this is Hazard, who struggled to beat Buckhorn without Andy Blank.
I don't like it either. I think they should wait til later in the season. Teams are just trying to figure out everything out and get some chemistry going.
I agree, most of these teams are not even there full teams due to football, not all but most. On the other hand if your District does not seed by record like the 54th, then it really doesn't matter. JMO
BlackcatAlum Wrote:What's everyones thoughts on playing district opponents this early in the basketball season?

I honestly don't like it, because I'd like for my team to be playing at there best when they play against district opponents. Plus it may hurt a teams chances at going to a region tournament by playing someone in district that they may be overmatched with.

I'm like you BA, I don't like district games early, but coaches don't have much of a choice. You have to get the first wave of district games in because of the threat of bad weather in January. Also, you have every team in the state hosting some kind of holiday tournament overkill the week of/after Christmas. Then there's the All-A tournaments, which take up the last two weeks of January if you include a trip to Richmond.

Besides, in the 15th it doesn't matter this season because 10 of 16 teams will reach the regional. It's watered down.
I think its stupid to play district games to start the season. Just look at Sheldon Clark they opened up with two losses on the road. A coach needs to realize that when seeding is involved you want your team to be playing the best ball possible. You don't see football teams playing district games right off the bat and there's reason for that so I wish some of these basketball coaches woul take a cue for football and play district games in mid January TongueirateSho