Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin 20 Prestonsburg 7
Final from Corbin. Good season Prestonsburg. Good luck Corbin. Make Eastern Kentucky proud Redhounds.
Congrats RedHounds Great season P-Burg
Great season P-Burg congrats Corbin
Exciting season Blackcats!! Thank you for all the good football. Good luck Corbin show them all some mountain power.
Hilbily Wrote:Exciting season Blackcats!! Thank you for all the good football. Good luck Corbin show them all some mountain power.

Thanks! Congrats to P'burg on a great season.
GO HOUNDS-BEAT NEWCATH!!!
I will not congrats Corbin, they cheated like no other! But will say good job to the Blackcats on a good season.
EKY_Soccer_Fanatic Wrote:I will not congrats Corbin, they cheated like no other! But will say good job to the Blackcats on a good season.

I was at another game tonight care to explain on this some for me?
BatCat11 Wrote:I was at another game tonight care to explain on this some for me?

Sour grapes.
I was at the game and saw no cheating. The officals called a decent game. The only significant play that was called back for p-burg was the kickoff return when prestonsburg returned it to Corbin's 40 yard line and a block in the back was called but their were no penalities called that effected the score of the game. Fact of the matter Prestonsburg couldn't get anything going of offense and could not get Corbin off the field due to their grind it our style. This is first game I have seen Prestonsburg play and they are a really good ball team. Their quarterback has some serious wheels and a great arm and #7 may have been the best true athlete on the field. Is he a senior?
I, too, was at the game. There was no cheating going on by Corbin. They were just bigger, faster, stronger, and played more inspired than Prestonsburg. Corbin won the game in the trenches, and Prestonsburg had no answer to the Campbell-Watkins duo. Congrats to the Redhounds, and good luck against New Cath.
cat86 Wrote:I, too, was at the game. There was no cheating going on by Corbin. They were just bigger, faster, stronger, and played more inspired than Prestonsburg. Corbin won the game in the trenches, and Prestonsburg had no answer to the Campbell-Watkins duo. Congrats to the Redhounds, and good luck against New Cath.

Thanks for clearing it up Congrats Corbin
Good season P'Burg
No problem. I'll tell you something about Corbin that shocked me: their overall team quickness and speed. I expected this game to boil down to Corbin's size and strength against Prestonsburg's overall team quickness and aggressiveness. However, Corbin was just as quick, if not quicker, than the Cats (even Corbin's big O linemen...). Corbin was able to shut down the corners, and Craynon was not able to get outside any to speak of. Running between the tackles wasn't even attempted much by the Cats, and the passing game had a few bright spots, but overall Corbin's defense was much quicker than I anticipated. What we presumed to be an advantage for Prestonsburg coming into this game really wasn't. Corbin has a great team, and next week's matchup should be a doozy... Congrats to the Cats, too. This team has overcome alot of adversity this year, most of it not even know to outsiders, and to finish 11-2 is a great year for this team.
corbin will have there hands full next week.
I'd be willing to be the game will be closer than most people think. I think Corbin actually will match up pretty well with New Cath.
EKY_Soccer_Fanatic Wrote:I will not congrats Corbin, they cheated like no other! But will say good job to the Blackcats on a good season.

I don't know what game you where at because their was only one questionable call the I seen, and that was the intentional grounding call.

cat86 Wrote:I, too, was at the game. There was no cheating going on by Corbin. They were just bigger, faster, stronger, and played more inspired than Prestonsburg. Corbin won the game in the trenches, and Prestonsburg had no answer to the Campbell-Watkins duo. Congrats to the Redhounds, and good luck against New Cath.

Again, I don't know what game you'll where at because Pburg played right with Corbin, but the Blackcats were simply outcoached. The Blackcats made numerous plays in the backfield on defense and made nice plays on offense but the play-calling was very suspect all night. I believe if we would have thrown the ball more out of the jet and power-I that we would have put more points on the board because Gearheart, Craynon and Sword was left in single coverage most of the night, but we continued to run screens, reverses and draws at crucial points in the game when they hadn't been working the entire night.

Congrats to the Blackcat seniors on a wonderful season, I'm proud of you guys, you had no quit in you tonight!

Congrats to Corbin... best of luck against NewCath!
Good Luck to the senior cats. Congrats Redhounds.
Congrats to both teams on great seasons!!! good luck Redhounds next week!!
You could definitely make an argument about being outcoached, but answer this: Which happened more often.....a tackle for a loss by the Blackcat defense, or a 6+ yard gain on an off tackle run by Corbin?
cat86 Wrote:You could definitely make an argument about being outcoached, but answer this: Which happened more often.....a tackle for a loss by the Blackcat defense, or a 6+ yard gain on an off tackle run by Corbin?

Yeah, they had a several plays of 6+ yards but so did Pburg.

Difference was Corbin sustained long drives as Pburg had a few big plays on a drive and then we ran into a series of questionable calls that halted our drives.

I'm sorry if someone thinks I'm bashing the coaches because I don't want it to sound that way because those guys are some of the greatest people I've ever met, and I do trust them with the program. We just ran into some bad play calls tonight on plays that worked against other opponents this season and thats football, just think that our playbook needs to add a few more pages to it.
zeneca Wrote:I was at the game and saw no cheating. The officals called a decent game. The only significant play that was called back for p-burg was the kickoff return when prestonsburg returned it to Corbin's 40 yard line and a block in the back was called but their were no penalities called that effected the score of the game. Fact of the matter Prestonsburg couldn't get anything going of offense and could not get Corbin off the field due to their grind it our style. This is first game I have seen Prestonsburg play and they are a really good ball team. Their quarterback has some serious wheels and a great arm and #7 may have been the best true athlete on the field. Is he a senior?

Michael Burchett (QB) is a junior, but #7 (Austin Gearheart) is a senior along with most of our offense.

Pburg returns 2 starters from the offense next season and the defense returns 5 players.
I thought this one would be a bit closer. Good Season Pburg.
Congrats Pburg on a great season. This game was alot closer than it looks. Everytime Pburg would get the momentum they would have a bad play and stall. I thought the major turning point was when it was 7-0 Pburg held Corbin deep in there own territory and they faked the punt and gained around 30 yards or 40. I thought that turned the game around because they later scored on the drive. But good luck to Corbin next week and Pburg has nothing to be ashamed of.
cat86 Wrote:No problem. I'll tell you something about Corbin that shocked me: their overall team quickness and speed. I expected this game to boil down to Corbin's size and strength against Prestonsburg's overall team quickness and aggressiveness. However, Corbin was just as quick, if not quicker, than the Cats (even Corbin's big O linemen...). Corbin was able to shut down the corners, and Craynon was not able to get outside any to speak of. Running between the tackles wasn't even attempted much by the Cats, and the passing game had a few bright spots, but overall Corbin's defense was much quicker than I anticipated. What we presumed to be an advantage for Prestonsburg coming into this game really wasn't. Corbin has a great team, and next week's matchup should be a doozy... Congrats to the Cats, too. This team has overcome alot of adversity this year, most of it not even know to outsiders, and to finish 11-2 is a great year for this team.

Yes, this was the difference in a nutshell. I was going to write something a lot like this. When a team plays a bigger team that's just as fast, it's difficult to come out on top.

On a personal note, I've really enjoyed watching this group of Blackcats. You guys have been a tribute to your school and town. Good luck to the Seniors and nothing but the best with the upcoming "adult" part of your life. To the underclassmen - go git 'em next year (and recruit some of your school friends to join you in going out for the team next year).

:Clap:

Best of luck to the Redhounds and give NewCath a big dose of Mr. Campbell !!!

:thumpsup:
R3AL Wrote:I thought this one would be a bit closer. Good Season Pburg.
How can you say that. This game was close 20 to 7 isnt a bad loss that is a very close game.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Yeah, they had a several plays of 6+ yards but so did Pburg.

Difference was Corbin sustained long drives as Pburg had a few big plays on a drive and then we ran into a series of questionable calls that halted our drives.

IMO, the problem Prestonsburg had with sustaining drives lay more in the inability to establish any sort of running game. Between Setser not being 100% and getting outmuscled on the LOS, it just couldn't happen. THAT set the tone for the game.

The only way an offense can move the ball when it's losing the battle in the trenches is to hit for big plays. With the number of pass attempts in the 2nd half for P-burg, it's safe to say that's exactly what the coaching staff was attempting.

I don't think having "more plays in the playbook" would have made a difference. Burchett was forced out of the pocket virtually the entire game. P-burg's completions, by and large, came from the receiver "creating" after his pattern. Tough to sustain an offense built on that.

On the other side of the ball, I thought the defense played a pretty good game. The Blackcats gave up a couple of big runs, but that's going to happen when the defense jams the line. If I were told before Friday Corbin would score 20, I'd have been happy with P-burg's chances in the game.

Confusedhh:
congrats corbin, bring it back home to the mountains fellas.
Tailback44 Wrote:congrats corbin, bring it back home to the mountains fellas.

Thanks. We are certainly going to do our best!:Thumbs:
oneijoe Wrote:IMO, the problem Prestonsburg had with sustaining drives lay more in the inability to establish any sort of running game. Between Setser not being 100% and getting outmuscled on the LOS, it just couldn't happen. THAT set the tone for the game.

The only way an offense can move the ball when it's losing the battle in the trenches is to hit for big plays. With the number of pass attempts in the 2nd half for P-burg, it's safe to say that's exactly what the coaching staff was attempting.

I don't think having "more plays in the playbook" would have made a difference. Burchett was forced out of the pocket virtually the entire game. P-burg's completions, by and large, came from the receiver "creating" after his pattern. Tough to sustain an offense built on that.

On the other side of the ball, I thought the defense played a pretty good game. The Blackcats gave up a couple of big runs, but that's going to happen when the defense jams the line. If I were told before Friday Corbin would score 20, I'd have been happy with P-burg's chances in the game.

Confusedhh:

I could tell that Pburg was getting beat on the LOS, but Burchett had enough time to pass. The formation that killed me all night was when we lined up in shotgun and had 3 wide-outs in the to the left of the quarterback and not once that I recall any of those receivers running across the field or any post routes. All 3 receivers either ran a go route, screen or curled. Those plays forced Burchett to hold the ball longer and caused him to have roll out of the pocket just to get the pass off, which led to the completions outside of the receivers called routes.

I thought that we were throwing the ball very well out of the power-I & jet formation's. When we've thrown out of those formations we've been very successful, i.e. Middlesboro game. We haven't been very successful out of the shotgun all year except for when we run draws or off-tackle plays because the opposing defense didn't load up the box.

JMO
Congrats on the win Corbin and Good luck in the next round. Great season for the Blackcats and good luck to the seniors. This was a season to remember.
Good season Blackcats. The main reason IMO that P-Burg lost this game is because there offense couldn't get anything going.