Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Harlan County
76.74%
Powell County
23.26%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County @ Powell County - Oct. 10
harlan co by 3 td's
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:The level of competition is far less in this game than the level faced against Breathitt. Harlan is a good team and they will look good against Powell.

I agree that this is no where near the same level of competition, however if a team goes in with their heads down and thinking they can't do it or something, and they get down early it'll be hard to get them back up... BUT I just can't see that happening this week. I think Harlan will do fine!
sc06cheer Wrote:I agree that this is no where near the same level of competition, however if a team goes in with their heads down and thinking they can't do it or something, and they get down early it'll be hard to get them back up... BUT I just can't see that happening this week. I think Harlan will do fine!
I really think that this game will help the teams confidence....
Twitter: @tc_analytics

powell will come out ready to play. now, harlan can thank the khsaa for leaving a 5a team in a 3a bracket. if this team was competing against schools their size would their outcomes be the same? just some food for thought.
#1 football fan Wrote:powell will come out ready to play. now, harlan can thank the khsaa for leaving a 5a team in a 3a bracket. if this team was competing against schools their size would their outcomes be the same? just some food for thought.

I understand you are fairly new here so I will not give you my 5A/3A speech. This has been debated on here several times.
Ill have to agree with #1 football fan you guys have a lot of depth because of the number of kids in the school.
#1 football fan Wrote:powell will come out ready to play. now, harlan can thank the khsaa for leaving a 5a team in a 3a bracket. if this team was competing against schools their size would their outcomes be the same? just some food for thought.

Like Patriot said, we've been chewing on this same ole' food now for months....and it just doesn't taste that good, lol. What's done is done as far as the 5A versus 3A argument and our Bears can't help it....and neither can the Bear Nation, so we just gotta go for it like it is.

As far as this week's game, Bears all the way!!! :Cheerlead The bears have licked their wounds from the Breathitt County game and gotten our heads up again, and I for one am ready to see the Bears I saw playing prior to the Breathitt Co. game. I have total faith in the Bears that they can come out loud and proud and show the Bear Nation what they are made of this week. GO BEARS!!! Cool

Harlan did compete and does compete against teams their size (i.e. Letcher Central) and played them well and could have won the game. The class thing should be over after 3A Breathitt destroyed them. I have said since the beginning this is not a "Mercer/Harrodsburg" remake. Totally different programs and abundance of athletes. And to go out on a limb, I would say Estill will beat them as well, maybe not by as much because of the difference of offenses, but will still win.

Did Powell County worry about that when they scheduled Jackson County, Betsy Layne and Berea?
good luck pirates.
Patriot Wrote:I understand you are fairly new here so I will not give you my 5A/3A speech. This has been debated on here several times.

I've never experienced "the speech". I'm curious?
:thatsfunn
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:The level of competition is far less in this game than the level faced against Breathitt. Harlan is a good team and they will look good against Powell.

Powell could be playing a grade school team and you would not have anything good to say about them. Why do you dislike them so bad. I have went back and read your previous posts. You are somewhat critical of people and mostly Powell Co. Give it a rest.

Harlan is a good football team. They will probably get the better of Powell. However, Powell has made "HUGE" strides & if they can get focused, will make a good game of it. Harlan just might be too deep. I am rooting for the Pirates....From the "outside looking in". You have a fan in Breathitt Co.
Everyone thinks Powell is scared just because they have a lot of players. Personally I see Powell coming out and redeeming themselves against Harlan this week. Caewood hung around Breathit better than than with the schools combined. An last year Powell should have beat Caewood.
It will be a good fought game. Both teams will be looking for a win friday night. hope everyone stays injury-free throught the entire game. Whoever wants it the most will win this game.
Last years's Powell team didn't beat Cawood though. It's obvious that Powell has greatly improved from last year, but you gotta believe that with this consolidation that the Black Bear team has also. I hate to wish for a gut stomping on Powell county, especially since they were the very ones that tried to resist playing us, but we really really need a HUGE win. Our beat down by Breathitt was just awful. The Black Bears need to win and win big. I hope Powell Co. can win every other game of the season, just not this one. I gotta pull for my Black Bears!!!! :rockon:
:mad: The bottom line on all this is: Poeple are seriously overreacting to a bad game by HC. The key word being A. Not 2 or three straight. It was one game with a lot of underlying circumstances. It was the exact same team that had only given up a total of about 70 rushing yards to its previous three opponents. Those games were not flukes. Obviously there were some problems that night. Everyone has to realize not all things go perfectly. People keep throwing Breathitt/Estill out there. Breathitt dropped THREE perfectly thrown balls that would have easily been TD's that night. Fugate ran the sweep out of two back gun at will. They ran it about 10 straight times to end the game and could have punched it in then. That score was deceptive. I know I was there watching it. It was Very deceptive. Breathitt had A bad game that night. It has been a long two weeks for the Bears. I am sure they are ready to put it behind them. Some people go off the deep end over one loss. It was never time to push the panic button. The bears will be fine. Now for the game with Powell. Harlan will win, end of conversation.
Mama Bear Wrote:Last years's Powell team didn't beat Cawood though. It's obvious that Powell has greatly improved from last year, but you gotta believe that with this consolidation that the Black Bear team has also. I hate to wish for a gut stomping on Powell county, especially since they were the very ones that tried to resist playing us, but we really really need a HUGE win. Our beat down by Breathitt was just awful. The Black Bears need to win and win big. I hope Powell Co. can win every other game of the season, just not this one. I gotta pull for my Black Bears!!!! :rockon:

I would think it will be a "gut stomping" if it can due to what you mentioned. Powell trying to resist playing. Powell is much improved but I think Larkey has too much for them.
jace7 Wrote:Powell could be playing a grade school team and you would not have anything good to say about them. Why do you dislike them so bad. I have went back and read your previous posts. You are somewhat critical of people and mostly Powell Co. Give it a rest.

Harlan is a good football team. They will probably get the better of Powell. However, Powell has made "HUGE" strides & if they can get focused, will make a good game of it. Harlan just might be too deep. I am rooting for the Pirates....From the "outside looking in". You have a fan in Breathitt Co.
Why is it that when I pick against a team I get this reaction? Powell has done nothing to prove that they can beat teams with a winning record and that is not saying anything bad about the kids, it is looking at past and present performances. I do not think I have been "critical" of anyone....I look at the schedules and stats then look at trends.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Yogibear Wrote::mad: The bottom line on all this is: Poeple are seriously overreacting to a bad game by HC. The key word being A. Not 2 or three straight. It was one game with a lot of underlying circumstances. It was the exact same team that had only given up a total of about 70 rushing yards to its previous three opponents. Those games were not flukes. Obviously there were some problems that night. Everyone has to realize not all things go perfectly. People keep throwing Breathitt/Estill out there. Breathitt dropped THREE perfectly thrown balls that would have easily been TD's that night. Fugate ran the sweep out of two back gun at will. They ran it about 10 straight times to end the game and could have punched it in then. That score was deceptive. I know I was there watching it. It was Very deceptive. Breathitt had A bad game that night. It has been a long two weeks for the Bears. I am sure they are ready to put it behind them. Some people go off the deep end over one loss. It was never time to push the panic button. The bears will be fine. Now for the game with Powell. Harlan will win, end of conversation.

Nobody has pushed the panic button in Harlan County. We know what are Bears are capable of doing and what they have done. The Black Bear Nation will be out in full support three hours away in Powell County on Friday. :Thumbs:
Yogibear Wrote::mad: The bottom line on all this is: Poeple are seriously overreacting to a bad game by HC. The key word being A. Not 2 or three straight. It was one game with a lot of underlying circumstances. It was the exact same team that had only given up a total of about 70 rushing yards to its previous three opponents. Those games were not flukes. Obviously there were some problems that night. Everyone has to realize not all things go perfectly. People keep throwing Breathitt/Estill out there. Breathitt dropped THREE perfectly thrown balls that would have easily been TD's that night. Fugate ran the sweep out of two back gun at will. They ran it about 10 straight times to end the game and could have punched it in then. That score was deceptive. I know I was there watching it. It was Very deceptive. Breathitt had A bad game that night. It has been a long two weeks for the Bears. I am sure they are ready to put it behind them. Some people go off the deep end over one loss. It was never time to push the panic button. The bears will be fine. Now for the game with Powell. Harlan will win, end of conversation.

Powell co. throws the ball well.
estillforlife Wrote:Powell co. throws the ball well.

Thanks for that revalation. I was refering to the big game Breathitt had running the ball against Harlan. The point was that the defense is not that bad. They had not given up many passing yards either at that point.
Black Bear's By 4 Td's
Upstart Pirates provide challenge for Black Bears
By JOHN HENSON
Managing Editor
Published:
Thursday, October 9, 2008 1:41 AM EDT

The off-again, on-again Harlan County-Powell County matchup that was the focus of much speculation during the off-season has turned into a bigger game than most expected in the preseason.

Powell officials dropped the game last spring in protest because they were upset the new Harlan County High School was allowed to play one season in 3A in Cawood’s spot before moving up to 5A next fall when a new alignment goes into effect and schedules can be adjusted. The decision was eventually reversed because the Pirates would not have been allowed to participate in the playoffs if they didn’t play all the teams in the district.
The change of heart turned out to be wise move for the Pirates as both teams appear headed for the playoffs in the five-team District 6 of 3A after posting wins earlier this season over Fleming County.

Harlan County (3-2 overall, 1-1 district) could set up a showdown on Oct. 24 against Estill County for second place and a home playoff game with a win over the Pirates in the 7:30 p.m game Friday in Stanton. Powell County (4-2 overall, 1-1 district) would likely move into third place in the district with a win over the Black Bears.

Powell won only three games last year and appears headed for one of the best records in school history with games still to play against Betsy Layne and Berea.

“We’ve made improvement, but we’ve still got a long way to go,” said Powell County coach Mike Whitaker, a former Leslie County star who went on to play quarterback at Eastern Kentucky University. “We are just now getting into kind of the meat of our schedule.”

The Pirates are led by sophomore tailback Jesse Rose, who has rushed for 611 yards in six games.

“Rose is just a sophomore, but he’s one of the toughest running tailbacks we’ll face all year,” Harlan County coach Tom Larkey said. “He’s got good speed and also plays good defense.

“They are a well-coached team and they’ve got different types of offenses they run. They do a lot of different multiple sets. They run it well and throw it well. They have a lot of different screens, and they can keep you guessing and off guard defensively.”

Senior quarterback Billy Rice (6-4, 195) has completed 64 of 130 passes for 987 yards, including 26 to Jared Barron and 16 to David Crowe.

“(Rice) has a rifle arm and a couple of good receivers. He runs the ball well, too,” Larkey said.

The Black Bears have had two weeks to recover from a 47-7 drubbing at the hands of Breathitt County, which broke a three-game winning streak.

Senior tailback Nathaniel Gilliam has led the Harlan County offense through five games with 506 yards rushing. Senior running back Glenn Roberts has added 24 carries for 171 yards, and senior Lance Simmons has contributed 147 yards rushing and 93 receiving.

“They are very athletic and deep and don’t play a lot of people both ways,” Whitaker said. “The key for us is staying fresh and healthy and trying to keep them from making big plays.”

Senior quarterback Zach Blanton is expected to return to the starting lineup this week for the Bears after having the cast removed from a broken wrist he suffered early in the season. Blanton is still limited by a brace on his left hand and may be restricted to taking snaps in the shotgun formation.

The Bears should be given a lift by the return of junior end Dwight Burgan from an injury, but Harlan County will likely play without standout tackle Cody Ison, who will serve a one-game suspension.

“We have to play good fundamental football and whip them on the line of scrimmage all we can,” Larkey said. “They are going to be sending everybody after us. Our line has got to pick up these blitzes.

“I think we need to try and get on top of this team if we can early and show them we are there to win. I think we’ve got a good shot at them, but it’s not going to be a piece of cake.” Go Black Bears!!!!:notworthy
All I know is Harlan better win this one big, or they will have a dim future!
TeamMom Wrote:I've never experienced "the speech". I'm curious?

Summary of the speech:

-It contained a lot of "people complaining about this is bull crap!"
-We are a brand new school it's not like we have been playing together for years.
-Yes we have dept, but depth does not equal talent.
-It's not our fault
-Just have to deal with it
-Teams schedule non district games out of class all the time.
-What's the big deal

Stuff like that. I used to be really passionate about defending it but it has finally died down some or so I thought.

I hope this satisfies your curiosity.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:The "Black Bear Nation" will have a lot to cheer for in this game IMO.

Why Brahma Bull...I think your finally getting back on my good side, lol. Big Grin I really do believe we WILL have a lot to cheer about this week. GO BLACK BEARS!!!
Mama Bear Wrote:Last years's Powell team didn't beat Cawood though. It's obvious that Powell has greatly improved from last year, but you gotta believe that with this consolidation that the Black Bear team has also. I hate to wish for a gut stomping on Powell county, especially since they were the very ones that tried to resist playing us, but we really really need a HUGE win. Our beat down by Breathitt was just awful. The Black Bears need to win and win big. I hope Powell Co. can win every other game of the season, just not this one. I gotta pull for my Black Bears!!!! :rockon:

Powell fought to play harlen so that they could be in a district. They didnt resist anything.