Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 35 - Boyd Co. 20
Way to go BIG DEVILS :redboxer:
any stats on the game?
not yet
Russell passing AJ Cordle 135 yards
Russell went more to the air on offense in this one to get the win. The running game was still solid, but they needed some big passes here and there to seal the deal. The fact that Russell can complete important passes bodes well for later in the season when the teams get tougher and tougher. I'd still like to see them utilize 88 Dillon in a short passing game to complement the run...but hey, they got the win. Really the entire offense played a nice game with no turnovers and solid execution.

Boyd County's QB Wilson was a one man wrecking crew, though. It was very difficult for Russell to tackle him most of the time. I hope (and I think this is the case) that he is simply a VERY good runner (he was often inaccurate with his passes)...perhaps one of the best Russell will face this season. The D can through when they had to, though, and got some nice dropped passes from the Boyd County receivers at important points of the game to do just enough to get the win. I didn't see a lot to criticize Russell's defense about here...perhaps a little poor tackling...but it was clear that Wilson was on a different level with his athleticism and running ability.
Scouts from WVU were at the game in the press box,,, Dillon and some lineman from Boyd were being looked at.. Just what I heard at the game.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Congrats to the Red Devils. Please show mercey when you guys play Lewis.
Congrats Russell.
Boyds QB looked alot like the CORBIN QB 2 years ago.....Tore us up. I think he had 200 yards rushing.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Congratulations to the Red Devils on a win against a good Boyd County team. The QB for Boyd is the real deal. AJ Cordell had an excellent game throwing two TD passes to Mitchell.
Does anyone know the stats to this game? I was unable to go to the game because I had to work, PLEASE if anyone has any stats I would like to know them.
Congrats to the Devils...Its very early in the season, but does the term "collision course" mean anything.
Once again the devils show their strengths.. and weaknesses..
I was very impressed with how the running game openend up the passing game. Cordle is looking MUCH better this week. For the first half Russell's defense didn't hold up to boyds offense. But for the second half Rusell's D seemed to do a lot better.
I underestimated Zack Wilsons running talent. He is a very good runner, very quick, and seemed to break some ankles out there. Both teams fought hard.
Wilson is a beast, I would say he could probably run all over just about any team in the state. He is the best athlete in the area hands down. Which for the other kids is nothing to be ashamed about. He may be the best ever at BC. BC coaches use him well also, he did get picked twice, but they just spread the field and let him make plays. BC also came through with clutch plays on many 4th downs. Russell seemed to be exhausted after the first quarter but hung in there and won. BC only stopped 1 Russell drive, discounting the 2 drives at the end of each half when Russell was just trying to run the clock out. Also, the botched snap on a chip shot field goal. Snaps were bad all night in the kicking game.
Offense looked awesome, AJ had a great game. RB's and recievers played well. Line did a nice job. BC flooded the box with 9-11 players, so Ivan took advantage of that.
Russell played D almost the whole game it seemed. BC had 1 scoring drive of 14 plays and 8 minutes, with a few 4th down conversions. I'd be willing to bet Russell's scoring drives were about 4 minutes in total and about 20 plays, if that many.

I heard a few people say they got worried for a minute. Not me though, for the game to be closer BC would of had to score quicker, which imo Russell would have came right back with a quick score.
[quote=Beetle01]Wilson is a beast, He is the best athlete in the area hands down.

Does that go for Scioto Co. as well?
Wilson is the best playmaker in the area (including Scioto County). He is a three year starter at QB and a very good runner. Passing is OK but when Boyd spreads the field like that Wilson is tough to stop.

That said the biggest disappointment of the game was the poor tackling by Russell. Wilson had some very good players just reaching for air. Part of that is his shiftiness and part of it was just poor tackling. Many times a defender was in position to make a tackle for a loss or no gain and just reached instead of driving through. Honestly, I think the Russell players thought that Boyd would just wear down and go away. They didn't. It reminded me alot of Morgan County a few years ago.

Offensively as has been mentioned Russell continued to do what they wanted. Even with 9 in the box they kept running and then made the Lions pay with some nice passing.

Special teams for Russell were atrocious. Long snapping was a concern comming into the season and it reamains that way. Two botched punts and a bobble on a field goal cost Russell field position and points. This needs to be cleaned up.

Boyd County has a pretty good team. As long as Wilson doesn't get hurt. He is everything to their offense. I think they win that district. They are big on the line and should have a good season.
Not to dissagree FBALL but the best athlete in the area resides in Scioto Co.

I am curious,How did the new grass on the field hold up?
kybaseball Wrote:Not to dissagree FBALL but the best athlete in the area resides in Scioto Co.

Good.. like coach McGlone said on the radio, "it will be good untill the next rain or monsoon comes" haha.
Lets give A.J. some credit. He played an all round good game, passing , rushing and being a leader. Boyd played a very good game and will do well this year.
Congrats Russell.
Congrats to the Red Devils. But far from a blowout.
kybaseball Wrote:Not to dissagree FBALL but the best athlete in the area resides in Scioto Co.

I didn't say athlete. I said playmaker. Wilson is a three year starter that is athletic but also sees the field very well and can make you pay in a heartbeat.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Congrats to the Red Devils. But far from a blowout.
Boyd County is not a bad team. They were not able to stop the Russell offense but they are big and strong and have one of the best running their offense. Defensively they will hit but are not real quick.
FBALL Wrote:I didn't say athlete. I said playmaker. Wilson is a three year starter that is athletic but also sees the field very well and can make you pay in a heartbeat.

Your right I'm sorry about that FBALL.I thought a few post above yours was about the best athlete. My bad.
kybaseball Wrote:Your right I'm sorry about that FBALL.I thought a few post above yours was about the best athlete. My bad.

No problem. I've been impressed with Wilson since his sophmore year. If Boyd County had anybody to help him out they would really be a tough team to deal with.
FBALL Wrote:No problem. I've been impressed with Wilson since his sophmore year. If Boyd County had anybody to help him out they would really be a tough team to deal with.

He sounds like he is having the same problem as the kid from Portsmouth.
Something that noone has brought up. The new Bermuda turf looked great and held up very well. Its a little thin on the visitors side on fieldhouse end of the field but most places it is very thick and looked very nice. Dave Chasteen really deserves alot of credit for a great looking playing surface.

All of the players should be appreciative of this upgrade.
Well without Wilson BC would probably have been lucky to get a first down. They definetly would never have scored on the first team.

Against traditonal running teams this D will be very good. They are improved or as good at every postion except for the loss of T Jones. The 5-2 isn't exactly the premier defense to use to stop a spread option attack. Russell managed it though and came away with a W.