Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing Offense, Defense, and Special Teams
I am a big Russell fan and have high hopes for them again this year...but I have a question to those of you who know more than me about high school football (seeing how I am just a fan and never coached or played).

How many teams have numerous players that play on offense, defense, and special teams? It seems to me that Russell has quite a few guys who hardly ever come off the field. Is this a disadvantage at some point? Are the few players who play in such good shape that it doesn't bother them? Do most other high school teams allow their best 7 or 8 players to hardly ever leave the field?

Just wondering...
Russell has always been an IRONMAN type of team, The best play and if you want it you got it.... If you can not hang playing both someone will always be there to take over....
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
I know they have always played that way. I guess most teams at the high school level would clearly have a few players who stand out above the rest. I just never really noticed if most other teams play it that way, too.
This is very common in small schools. Really, late in the game I don't see how that kid is still that much better than his backup and he can't take a break. I understand in the 1st quarter, but when the 3rd and 4th quarter roll around he should be able to take a break on some special teams.
At Pikeville, we had several who played on all sides of the ball. Personally I played offense and just subbed in on defense, that is until I hurt my knee and they really didn't want me to increase my chances of getting hurt again by playing both sides.

It seems to me that a lot of the smaller class schools, A, and AA, have a lot more players that play both sides. But the bigger schools have more kids on the team and therefore more options to keep specific players just playing offense or just playing defense.

During my time, most of the special teams was usually reserved for the 2nd and 3rd string guys.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I read a Bear Bryant article once where he said:

"How many sprints can a 4.5 guy run before his 4.8 backup can beat him? Not very many!"

The point he was making was, if you have a competent backup, get him on the field and let the 4.5 guy recharge his battery.

I have seen several injuries occur to prime players on special teams late in the game. I really think you have to protect your athletes at some point and give the number 2 man a shot:mad: