Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had first boxing match tonight
I was in Richmond all day for my first boxing match. They originally told me that my opponent was 5'10 and when I got there and seen him, he was freakin 6'2 or 6'3. He had at least a foot and a half reach advantage on me. This was my first fight, this was his 3rd or 4th fight.

Here I stand at 5'6 and he is 6'3. The bell rang for the first round. We came out and I was absolutely full of adrenaline. I was moving good all over the place. I went inside on him good and got him with some good shots to the body and a couple good ones to the chin. He got me with a few good jabs but nothing big.

I won the first round. Then the second round came. I was doing the same thing early in the second round, moving good, getting good shots to the body and head. But then I tripped over something, I don't know if he stepped on my toes or what but he did not hit me and I tripped and stumbled back but I did not go down.

The ref stopped the fight and gave me a standing 8 count. That was a terrible job of reffing. During the 8 seconds, my adrenaline and energy just got sucked out of me and I lost my groove that I had going.

I just wasn't the same for the rest of the fight. He won the majority of the second round, after the ref stopped the fight for nothing and pretty much screwed me over. He won the third round easy.

I ended up losing by a decision. If it wasn't for the standing 8 count that stopped the second round on me when I was in my groove and full of adrenaline I believe I would have had a chance to win the fight.

A bunch of other boxers and coaches stopped me after I got out of the locker room and asked me how many fights I've had, which this was my first one. They asked me how long I've been training, which is about a month and a half.

They all said that I should not have had to fight him for my first fight. It was a total mismatch, I mean the guy had a foot and a half reach advantage on me and almost a foot taller than me. He didn't hit that hard but he was quick. They all said that I did good for being my first fight and going up against someone like that guy.

I have a black eye on my left eye but that's it. All in all, I am proud of myself for going the whole fight with the guy that they had me matched up with. I lost the fight by decision.
Congrats!!! Keep workin on those "punches" and keep the adrenaline flowing.... No more 8 counts young man!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:Congrats!!! Keep workin on those "punches" and keep the adrenaline flowing.... No more 8 counts young man!!!

that 8 count was bull crap... after I got my balance back from where I tripped over something I started moving forward again and the ref stopped it out of nowhere... I think that is what lost it for me.

I guess my adrenaline just got the best of me and screwed me over during the 8 count. I was absolutely dead for the rest of the fight. I am in better shape than that to. Guess I was just nervous to since it was my first fight and it got the best of me after that stoppage.
Meaty Wrote:that 8 count was bull crap... after I got my balance back from where I tripped over something I started moving forward again and the ref stopped it out of nowhere... I think that is what lost it for me.

I guess my adrenaline just got the best of me and screwed me over during the 8 count. I was absolutely dead for the rest of the fight. I am in better shape than that to. Guess I was just nervous to since it was my first fight and it got the best of me after that stoppage.

I completely understand what you are saying. Hang in there.. keep up the hard work.. it will pay off!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
I won't be fighting again until a long while. Not until after football season ends here in Somerset. So I'll have plenty of time to train.
Man I wish you would have won your first fight! Keep up the hard work and training man and keep us updated when you fight again.
Shoot man, I read that last night and instead of responding, I went back in time from the time I started training at 15, my first fight at 16, all the way until my last fight at 22..I had some incredible memories, good and bad, and reading your post made me remember all of them, lol..but seriously dude, after a month and a half of training, you should have been fighting somebody with zero fights under their belt..and to take a long break and train until after football season is a great idea. I dont care what anybody says, because Ive done it too, when you step into the ring, those 3 minutes feel like an eternity, every round, and 6 or so weeks of training isnt near enough to be fighting somebody with 3 or 4 fights on their sheet, not to mention somebody with a 9 inch height advantage, and I would imagine a severe reach disadvantage for you as well..so keep training, keep after it, and you'll be fine. If you went the distance in your first fight, win or lose, thats something to build on. I know, losing sucks, but trust me on this one, lol.....PM me if I can be of any help at all, but you sound like you got your ducks in a row..and good luck bro..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Shoot man, I read that last night and instead of responding, I went back in time from the time I started training at 15, my first fight at 16, all the way until my last fight at 22..I had some incredible memories, good and bad, and reading your post made me remember all of them, lol..but seriously dude, after a month and a half of training, you should have been fighting somebody with zero fights under their belt..and to take a long break and train until after football season is a great idea. I dont care what anybody says, because Ive done it too, when you step into the ring, those 3 minutes feel like an eternity, every round, and 6 or so weeks of training isnt near enough to be fighting somebody with 3 or 4 fights on their sheet, not to mention somebody with a 9 inch height advantage, and I would imagine a severe reach disadvantage for you as well..so keep training, keep after it, and you'll be fine. If you went the distance in your first fight, win or lose, thats something to build on. I know, losing sucks, but trust me on this one, lol.....PM me if I can be of any help at all, but you sound like you got your ducks in a row..and good luck bro..

Thanks a lot man. I appreciate it. What was your record fighting? I will PM you some. Thanks man!
I was 27-7-1 with 23 KO's...I hit like a truck, had good stamina, but I was terrible at defending anything resembling a punch and absolutely took a beating every time I stepped in the ring..I was advised to quit fighting by a doctor at Norton, Virginia at age 22 because my body and brain was being bludgeoned, lol..so I took his advice and quit..I loved it though..and I miss it terribly..
Meaty Wrote:Thanks a lot man. I appreciate it. What was your record fighting? I will PM you some. Thanks man!
keep punchin apollo.
Good luck next time.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I was 27-7-1 with 23 KO's...I hit like a truck, had good stamina, but I was terrible at defending anything resembling a punch and absolutely took a beating every time I stepped in the ring..I was advised to quit fighting by a doctor at Norton, Virginia at age 22 because my body and brain was being bludgeoned, lol..so I took his advice and quit..I loved it though..and I miss it terribly..

That's a very solid record. What weight division did you fight in? Hold any belts?
I fought as a heavyweight, usually I came in around 220..the lightest I ever weighed for a fight was 217, and the most I weighed in was 224 1/2...no, I never held any beltsSad ..
Meaty Wrote:That's a very solid record. What weight division did you fight in? Hold any belts?