Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should We Revise The Presidental Election Process?
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm so tired of hearing about the Presidental election and the candidates day and night, for the last 5 months and we still have another 6 months before the general election in November. I think it's about time we make some changes, because I dread the thoughts of going through this again in 4 years. I would like to see something along these lines adopted.

(1) Campaigning for all candidates would start on March 1st.
(2) A national primary election would held on the first Tuesday in June.
(3) The winner could be determined by either the popular vote or delegates.
(4) The Conventions would be held in the first full week of August.
(5) The General election would still be in November.

I realize these changes will never happen, but what the heck. What is everyone else's opinion on this matter?
I think we should revise the whole **** government.
The 24/7 news cycle makes it pretty tiresome. I do think that making candidates grind it out is a good "pressure cooker" test for the person who becomes President.
we may not agree on much on this site, but you make an excellent point here..if you cant hold up for 8 or 9 months, then you wont be able to hold up for 4 years..great point cavemaster..
thecavemaster Wrote:The 24/7 news cycle makes it pretty tiresome. I do think that making candidates grind it out is a good "pressure cooker" test for the person who becomes President.
Take out the electoral college and it is fixed.
thecavemaster Wrote:The 24/7 news cycle makes it pretty tiresome. I do think that making candidates grind it out is a good "pressure cooker" test for the person who becomes President.

Your're right...but why would anyone want to put themselves and their families through such scrutiny by the media, I don't believe it's for the money so is it just for the power.
Old School Wrote:Your're right...but why would anyone want to put themselves and their families through such scrutiny by the media, I don't believe it's for the money so is it just for the power.

Well, they say that every morning a U.S. Senator looks in the mirror and sees a President... The media aggravates me: I have a friend who lost his house: another who had to sell a bunch of stuff because his kid got sick: another who is thinking about taking a lower paying job, one he won't like as much, because gas prices are killing him (has to drive 75 miles one way to work). Then, the media wants to cover all about Rev. Wright or Bosnia or McCain's fundraising issues.
Old School Wrote:I would like to see something along these lines adopted.

(1) Campaigning for all candidates would start on March 1st.
(2) A national primary election would held on the first Tuesday in June.
(3) The winner could be determined by either the popular vote or delegates.
(4) The Conventions would be held in the first full week of August.
(5) The General election would still be in November.

I love your second suggestion, having a national primary day. I think it is ridiculous that some states have theirs in January, while others don't have it until late May. Doesn't make much sense.

I know that this year Kentucky may actually have a say in who wins the primary (at least for the Democrats), but most years that's not the case. Having a national primary day would make winning all states important, not just the early voters.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]