Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 4 Cumberland 2 (Mid-South Conference Tournament)
Pikeville College comes up with a big upset yesterday against the #7 team in the nation University of the Cumberlands. Don't have any details, but here is a link with the story on the game.

http://www.mid-southconference.org/article/343.php

The rest of the opening day of the tournament looked like this.

MSC Tourney First Round @ Georgetown, KY

Cumberlands (KY) vs 2
Pikeville 4

Campbellsville vs 4
West Virginia U. Tech 1

Lindsey Wilson at 0
Georgetown 3
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Pikeville College comes up with a big upset yesterday against the #7 team in the nation University of the Cumberlands. Don't have any details, but here is a link with the story on the game.

http://www.mid-southconference.org/article/343.php

The rest of the opening day of the tournament looked like this.

MSC Tourney First Round @ Georgetown, KY

Cumberlands (KY) vs 2
Pikeville 4

Campbellsville vs 4
West Virginia U. Tech 1

Lindsey Wilson at 0
Georgetown 3

So is Cumberlands out?
This tournament format confuses me? Is it a double elimination deal?

And how did PC fare against WV Tech this year?
The Joker Wrote:So is Cumberlands out?

no it's double elimination

bracket
Everything plays out this weekend and then whoever comes out of the winner's bracket plays next weekend at their place against the winner of the losers bracket.
I believe The Cumberlands is in the Nat'l tourney, tho, either way, due to their winning the regular season title?
Cumberlands did come back to defeat Lindsey Wilson this morning 10-1.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wow, Cumberlands had to have an OFF day.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Wow, Cumberlands had to have an OFF day.
No, they were SHUT DOWN by PC pitcher Jordan Compton.
Compton is really good!!
Panther Thunder Wrote:Wow, Cumberlands had to have an OFF day.

Not really. PC pitcher Jordan Compton is probably the best pitcher in the conference. His record may not show it but PC finally gave him a few runs to work with. If Jordan played for the Cumberlands, he probably would have got player of the year, lol.
Well when I watched him pitch against WVT they didn't have much trouble against him, but Big win for the Bears.
Great game PC.
Redneck Wrote:Not really. PC pitcher Jordan Compton is probably the best pitcher in the conference. His record may not show it but PC finally gave him a few runs to work with. If Jordan played for the Cumberlands, he probably would have got player of the year, lol.

You are exactly right. Not sure that he should not have gotten the Pitcher of the Year award anyways. I have seen every conference pitcher at least once and some multiple times. Compton is IMO, the best pitcher in the conference. He went into this game, with I think an 0-5 record, but his ERA was just slightly above 1.00. He throws every pitch from the same arm slot, whether it be his breaking ball, changeup, or fastball. Does not have blazing velocity , but is consistantly around 84-85 with the fastball. I knew that Cumberlands would more than have their hands full against Compton. All he has neeeded all season long was a just a little defensive consistancy and some run support. In this game, Pikeville was able to take advantage of several Texas Leaguers combined with a few Cumberland errors for the run support.

Congratulations to Pikeville on the win, but as of today they have now been officially eliminated from the tourney.

Tomorrow, Cumberlands will play Georgetown in the finals of the consolation bracket. The winner of that game will then play Campbellsville in the tournament championship game next Thursday.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:I believe The Cumberlands is in the Nat'l tourney, tho, either way, due to their winning the regular season title?
Cumberlands did come back to defeat Lindsey Wilson this morning 10-1.
Yes , that is correct. The regular season conference champion gets an automatic berth.
Cumberland has been on an absolute tear since the game with PC. Pikeville has been eliminated from the tournament, but it looks as though Cumberland could still win the tournament championship as well. They have faired well against the remaining teams, and they won't face another pitcher like Compton the rest of the tournament.

Here's a link to keep up with the tournament.

http://www.mid-southconference.org/sport/5/6.php
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Cumberland has been on an absolute tear since the game with PC. Pikeville has been eliminated from the tournament, but it looks as though Cumberland could still win the tournament championship as well. They have faired well against the remaining teams, and they won't face another pitcher like Compton the rest of the tournament.

Here's a link to keep up with the tournament.

http://www.mid-southconference.org/sport/5/6.php
I agree, but If they can get by Georgetown tomorrow, they will more than likely go up against another tough customer in Campbellsville's, Jeff Duda. They must get by Georgetown @ home first though.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I agree, but If they can get by Georgetown tomorrow, they will more than likely go up against another tough customer in Campbellsville's, Jeff Duda. They must get by Georgetown @ home first though.

Not just Georgetown's team, but their crazy coach as well. He intimidates teams right from the jump. By far one of the craziest coaches I have been around. However, I will give him credit, Georgetown use to be the whipping boy for the Mid-south Conference, and he has made them a somewhat contender.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Not just Georgetown's team, but their crazy coach as well. He intimidates teams right from the jump. By far one of the craziest coaches I have been around. However, I will give him credit, Georgetown use to be the whipping boy for the Mid-south Conference, and he has made them a somewhat contender.
Yeah, he's a charactor all right, but I'm guessing that you have never seen Tech's coach in action yet. Crazy, dont even begin to describe some of his shenanigans.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Yeah, he's a charactor all right, but I'm guessing that you have never seen Tech's coach in action yet. Crazy, dont even begin to describe some of his shenanigans.

Haha your right I haven't seen him in action, but I have definetly heard about him. I don't know where they get some of these guys. Georgetown's coach reminds me a lot of Gene Combs who is at Montgomery County, he use to be at Lee County for years before there though.
Today, Cumberlands defeated Georgetown 11-2 to advance to the MSC Tourney championship game against Campbellsville, on Thursday May 1 @ 4:00 P.M.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Today, Cumberlands defeated Georgetown 11-2 to advance to the MSC Tourney championship game against Campbellsville, on Thursday May 1 @ 4:00 P.M.

This was a good rebound for Cumberland, and this also gives enough time for Cumberland's ace to rest and be ready to throw. I will have to pick Cumberland to be the outright champion in the mid-south this year.