Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Season Coaches Poll
Has anyone saw it or know where to find it?
HotShot5 Wrote:Has anyone saw it or know where to find it?

I saw one on the boys thread, but don't know anything about the one for the girls.
O.K. here goes for the pre-season predictions, based on talking to at least one coach from each district...

57th - Johnson Central being the # 1 pick
2. Paintsville
3. Lawrence County
4. Magoffin County
5. Sheldon Clark

58th - Betsy Layne as Conference Champs
2. Prestonsburg
3. Allen Central
4. South Floyd

59th

1. Pikeville
1. East Ridge
1. Shelby Valley

60th

1. Pike Central
2. Belfry
3. Phelps

:flame:
BondJamesBond Wrote:O.K. here goes for the pre-season predictions, based on talking to at least one coach from each district...

57th - Johnson Central being the # 1 pick
2. Paintsville
3. Lawrence County
4. Magoffin County
5. Sheldon Clark

58th - Betsy Layne as Conference Champs
2. Prestonsburg
3. Allen Central
4. South Floyd

59th

1. Pikeville
1. East Ridge
1. Shelby Valley

60th

1. Pike Central
2. Belfry
3. Phelps

:flame:
I agree the 59th could be anybody however I see the 57th coming down to Lawrence and Johnson Central. Lawrence lost one player from the 07 team that only allowed 90 runs in 39 games. They have one of the best defenses in the area. They are starting off playing Ryle in a scrimmage and will be playing in 4 major weekend tourneys including the Owensoro and Cumberland Falls tournament. They open their season against East Ridge so this game will tell us a lot. I think Pike County Central may be the sleeper of the 15th. They are well coached and have a solid pitcher. If they tighten their defense they may be tough to beat.
58th

AC district champs
BL
Prestonsburg
SF
Beefing up the schedule will help LC when it comes tourney time. I know they only gave up 90 runs last season, but I saw them give up 11 to Shelby Valley during a senior day double header a the end of the season. I question the strength of their defense, but I question their ability to score runs even more. They only scored 1 one in the previously mentioned double header with valley, and they struggled to score in the regional tournament. My point...they will have to show me they can score runs and protect leads before I will pick them as the favorite. Travelling to four strong tournaments can build confidence, but it can also destroy a team if they do not learn from their mistakes. Playing in the tournaments will not make them better, analyzing their weaknesses and improving upon them throughtout the season will!
I agree with you bigdog. A great fast pitch softball coach once told me that you have take lumps from the best to be the best. I completely believe in tough tournament play only if you have players that are metally tough enough to understand the difference in mountain softball and Northern ball.

Lawrence only has one tournament and 16 games.
bigdog Wrote:Beefing up the schedule will help LC when it comes tourney time. I know they only gave up 90 runs last season, but I saw them give up 11 to Shelby Valley during a senior day double header a the end of the season. I question the strength of their defense, but I question their ability to score runs even more. They only scored 1 one in the previously mentioned double header with valley, and they struggled to score in the regional tournament. My point...they will have to show me they can score runs and protect leads before I will pick them as the favorite. Travelling to four strong tournaments can build confidence, but it can also destroy a team if they do not learn from their mistakes. Playing in the tournaments will not make them better, analyzing their weaknesses and improving upon them throughtout the season will!
You are exactly right. LC did not score a lot of runs last year and left way to many runners stranded. But they had a third base coach that didn't understand the game. And this year looks to be about the same. The head coach has never played softball or even coached softball at any level. It will take her a few years to learn the finer points of the game. Each and every game whether it be scrimmage, district or tourney is a learning and growing experience for coaches and players. Every team has strengths and weakness but only the truly dedicated learn from their weak points.
I was looking for a bigger schedule from LC as well but the khsaa doesn't show it...maybe they haven't posted it yet. It looks nothing like last year's schedule. It might be because of the new coaches. They aren't playing any games until April 1. Seems like everyone else willl get a big head start on them. I do agree with earlier posting that they need to get it togetehr for post-season. They seemed to lose steam at the end last year.
flamethrower Wrote:You are exactly right. LC did not score a lot of runs last year and left way to many runners stranded. But they had a third base coach that didn't understand the game. And this year looks to be about the same. The head coach has never played softball or even coached softball at any level. It will take her a few years to learn the finer points of the game. Each and every game whether it be scrimmage, district or tourney is a learning and growing experience for coaches and players. Every team has strengths and weakness but only the truly dedicated learn from their weak points.

I heard the new head coach might only be there for this year. They have someone else in mind but they weren't available until next year. :confused:
sportspectator Wrote:I was looking for a bigger schedule from LC as well but the khsaa doesn't show it...maybe they haven't posted it yet. It looks nothing like last year's schedule. It might be because of the new coaches. They aren't playing any games until April 1. Seems like everyone else willl get a big head start on them. I do agree with earlier posting that they need to get it togetehr for post-season. They seemed to lose steam at the end last year.
The schedule that is on riherds was made last fall. The current schedule was not completed until 3/24 and has not been sent in. LC has a full 36 game schedule. They will play in the Franklin/Simpson, Cumberland Falls, East Ridge and Boyd County tourneys. Post season last year did not seem real important after the tragic loss of two very talented classmates right before seasons end. It had a profound effect on just about everyone in Lawrence County. LC returns 9 starters and is looking forward to playing a game if it ever stops raining.
ummm the cards are 2-0 so far.. and had a tie scrimmage with shelby valley.
so now you tell me what ya think about that ?