Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry
First let me say I was wrong about the staff and here is why.

Coaching basketball at Belfry Middle School is a thankless job. I did not know Coach Varney did this for free 1st off, as I thought it was a job some one cooked up for him.

Next, boys basketball at BMS has little support, as it ranks behind football and girls sports, so its about 5th on the totem pole.

How many games did the cheerleaders cheer this year? How many away games did they go to?

How many games did you see the principal at? I saw him at the Pikeville game and maybe 2 others.

How many fans are in the stands?

Why in the world would the principal not buy the 6th and 7th grade uniforms?

I also want to tell some of you guys why Belfry only has 5 8th graders. Discipline. Coach Varney and Coach Howard have it, most parents and kids don't like it. Its amazing what some kids get away with during football, then it not tolerated during basketball and all the sudden it is the coaches fault.

After sitting and observing this year, you can see that the staff is playing with a stacked deck against them. Because after the parents, there is only about 10 people total that care about basketball in the entire Belfry community(Caoch Casey and staff, Coach Varney and staff) after them no one cares.

The last part I want to talk about is the BOE. I was told 3 years ago that the County Tourney could only be held at Virgie, Johns Creek, Elkhorn City, and Belfry.
Why is it being held at Mullins?
Is the hate for Mr. Varney(Coach Varney's dad) being bled over to try and hurt Belfry?
The holdback rule, although I was against it at first, is another example hate for Belfry. Why was it fine when everyone else was winning and beating the crap out of Belfry, but when Belfry wants to do it it all the sudden isn't fair?
County basketball is at an all time low, not being able to compete with other mountain teams because of it(Hazard, Johnson Central, Whitesburg.)

I just wanted to get on here and set some things straight. In the beginning I though the staff was arrogant(still is) and hurting basketball at BMS. I would not have let my son play for them. After watching this year I see the real problems, and its not the staff. Its amazing what you learn just observing.

To the basketball players, go out and win tonight. Play hard and remember Coach Varney and Howard are doing this for the love of the game and because they care about you guys. Not for wins and losses and paychecks or recognition like some others.
Blackflag Wrote:First let me say I was wrong about the staff and here is why.

Coaching basketball at Belfry Middle School is a thankless job. I did not know Coach Varney did this for free 1st off, as I thought it was a job some one cooked up for him.

Next, boys basketball at BMS has little support, as it ranks behind football and girls sports, so its about 5th on the totem pole.

How many games did the cheerleaders cheer this year? How many away games did they go to?

How many games did you see the principal at? I saw him at the Pikeville game and maybe 2 others.

I also want to tell some of you guys why Belfry only has 5 8th graders. Discipline. Coach Varney and Coach Howard have it, most parents and kids don't like it. Its amazing what some kids get away with during football, then it not tolerated during basketball and all the sudden it is the coaches fault.

After sitting and observing this year, you can see that the staff is playing with a stacked deck against them. Because after the parents, there is only about 10 people total that care about basketball in the entire Belfry community(Caoch Casey and staff, Coach Varney and staff) after them no one cares.

The last part I want to talk about is the BOE. I was told 3 years ago that the County Tourney could only be held at Virgie, Johns Creek, Elkhorn City, and Belfry.
Is the hate for Mr. Varney(Coach Varney's dad) being bled over to try and hurt Belfry?
The holdback rule, although I was against it at first, is another example hate for Belfry. Why was it fine when everyone else was winning and beating the crap out of Belfry, but when Belfry wants to do it it all the sudden isn't fair?
County basketball is at an all time low, not being able to compete with other mountain teams because of it(Hazard, Johnson Central, Whitesburg.)

I just wanted to get on here and set some things straight. In the beginning I though the staff was arrogant(still is) and hurting basketball at BMS. I would not have let my son play for them. After watching this year I see the real problems, and its not the staff. Its amazing what you learn just observing.

To the basketball players, go out and win tonight. Play hard and remember Coach Varney and Howard are doing this for the love of the game and because they care about you guys. Not for wins and losses and paychecks or recognition like some others.

Excellent post.:thumpsup:
You can't be the real Blackflag.

Why shouldn't the tournament be held at Mullins? That gym holds as many as Virgie and Johns Creek, its closer to restaurants for before and after games and it hasnt been held there since before 1992. Probably as good an atmosphere for junior high basketball as any gym you listed.

Do your complaining about Belfry and leave this side of the mountain alone.
If theres a lot of fans the fym echis and maked it some much moe exciting
BoondockSaint Wrote:You can't be the real Blackflag.

HAHA....I was wondering the same thing...talk about a total turn-a-round of opinion. But if it is, I am glad that he is finally seeing what I have seen all along....that we have excellent coaches...

First off let me say that you bring up some good points in your post.....

Okay... I don't quite think that basketball coaching is a "thankless" job as they have quite a few young men who bust their tails for them EVERYDAY so therefore there is some payback for the work you put into it.....

As far as the cheerleaders.... I have no idea maybe 4 home games and not sure about the away.... 1 if any....

Now, the principal has been to a few games.... evidently he didn't come to as many as you thought he should have though... LOL......

As far as the issue with the 8th graders... the ONLY thing that I am saying is this: ONE of the 8th graders that I am assuming you think has the disclipline problem.... WAS disciplined during football season by the coach, school, and parents....... so the football program is NOT at question here.....

Personally, I don't think I have missed one game this year... NOT ONE.... I stand behind those kids.... they are really what its all about..... not the coaches, not the school, not whose daddy is who..... the KIDS!!!!! They practice everyday..... the majority of them are truely dedicated and have shown so. Granted.... the staff has done the same.... I am by no means taking anything from them.

Holdbacks.... UH.... I'm not even gonna go there... LOLOLOL......Wink

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]

Nice post!!
As a parent of a 7th grader who dresses with 8th. I haven't missed a 7th or 8th grade game. And my son and I are very thankful for our coaches.